Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ho to deal with new tires

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
Waspie
billmc
7 posters
AuthorMessage
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

tires - Ho to deal with new tires Empty
PostSubject: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Guys,
I'm still thinking about my crash. I still can't remember everything that happened or why I couldn't turn. You guys have offered good advice and good possibilities as to what may have gone wrong. I was just thinking about the tires.

I had brand new tires, they were the Bridgestone Hoops, because that was what was in stock, I didn't want to wait. That aside, when I got the bike back, the service manager told me to go easy for about the first 80 miles until the tires got scuffed up. I had gone about 50 miles when I wrecked. I don't know if the tires had anything to do with it or not, but here is my question.

With new tires, what do you think about taking something like emery cloth and using that to buff the tires with, similar to how you would shine your shoes? Would this be enough to enable the tires to grab the road like they're supposed to or would I just be wasting my time?

Bill
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:39 pm

billmc wrote:
Guys, With new tires, what do you think about taking something like emery cloth and using that to buff the tires with, similar to how you would shine your shoes? Would this be enough to enable the tires to grab the road like they're supposed to or would I just be wasting my time? Bill

On occasions I have 'scrubbed' my tyres with sand paper to remove the oily residue left on the tyres. Doesn't guarantee the complete removal but helps.

As for an off after 50 miles, I would have thought the bulk of the waxy residue would have been removed by regular road usage. Could have been an oily deposit left on the road or spilt diesel!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 5:16 pm

With new tires, on a quiet straight road when the road is completely dry as opposed to driving straight I slowly weave back and forth scrubbing the tire naturally.

The reason why I weave is to ensure that the sides of the tire are scrubbed not just the center.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

I've ridden on a lot of new tires on various motorcycles I've owned and never had a problem with new tires after they'd covered 50-100 miles. To be honest I never had a problem with them from the first mile either. Back in the late '50s I wasn't aware of the need to scuff them up so rode hard from the get go. Nowadays, especially on my heavy Goldwing I do take it easy on the twisties for a hundred miles or so. I also tend to weave now and then to get the full tread broken in. I can guarantee my old tires on both the bike and my SW have no stubs on the chicken strips.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 2:40 pm

In a 55 year active riding career, I have changed somewhere between 250 and 400 tires.

Used to try to clean them off/ruff up with Windex---probably just made them more dangerous. Be Careful first 100 miles, ride in a little rain if you can, hit the puddles, watch cornering loads on tires and loads in straight up braking. Try dirt road. I just ride normal, with caution the first few miles, maybe testing braking traction, etc.

Doubt if new tires in normal can cause accident. Riding Technique?

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I really like the title of this thread. But I am wondering how you were able to find one willing to deal with your new tires. And further more am wondering how the ho will deal with them.

And, Bill what if you can only find a loud straight road?

I really don't think about any residue on the tires after a change. Is it luck, is it a lack of caution or is the opposite possible - the risk is over estimated?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:14 am

There can be some mold release on the tread surfaces on a new tire. If you go to their websites most motorcycle (scooters too) tire manufacturers recommend taking it easy for the first 50 miles or so.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tires - Ho to deal with new tires 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 4:52 am

[quote="jdeereanton"]I really like the title of this thread. But I am wondering how you were able to find one willing to deal with your new tires. And further more am wondering how the ho will deal with them.

At least it wasn't titled "Ho to deal with new rubber." Since I never admit, I mean make mistakes, I can laugh with others. Hey, times are tough, maybe they are branching out.
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 9:13 am

jdeereanton wrote:
I really like the title of this thread. But I am wondering how you were able to find one willing to deal with your new tires. And further more am wondering how the ho will deal with them.

Dale, Seeing as I'm strapped for cash at the moment, if you really want to know, I'll setup my webcam. You can send me a few bucks, and watch away. Who knows, you might learn a new trick or two.

I hadn't even noticed the mistake, I previewed the message a couple of times before posting, oh well, you got the idea anyway.

john grinsel wrote:

Doubt if new tires in normal can cause accident. Riding Technique?
John Grinsel

John, could you be suggesting Pilot Error? Inconceivable. After all, at the time of the wreck I had my motorcycle license for all of two weeks. Do you think there might be something else I need to learn?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ho to deal with new tires   tires - Ho to deal with new tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ho to deal with new tires
Page 1 of 1