Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
noise under load I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

noise under load

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dmosemorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-08-29

noise under load Empty
PostSubject: noise under load   noise under load I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 4:16 pm

Hi everyone. Does anyone have an idea about my 04 SW (22k miles) making a pretty loud "knocking" or rattling noise under load at about 3700 rpm. It only makes noise under load (uphill, riding 2 up) and I can make the noise disappear by applying significant throttle. Belt was replaced at about 16 k miles but since the mechanic left the area I cannot confirm whether it was OEM or some other product. Great forum...thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
jdduvall
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2024-05-13

noise under load Empty
PostSubject: Re: noise under load   noise under load I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 10:39 pm

How much load, shock settings and tire pressure?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

noise under load Empty
PostSubject: Re: noise under load   noise under load I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 11:48 pm

My guess is that you are just hearing a degree of belt slap on the slack side of the transmission. Winding on more throttle may change the variator position enough to make that resonance disappear. If you remove the belt cover you may be able to see some witness marks on the case.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

noise under load Empty
PostSubject: Re: noise under load   noise under load I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2024 2:38 am

16k miles is the recommended belt change anyway, so out with the spanners and in you go.
While you're in there check the rollers, pull the clutch assembly and clean that up too. All those bits and pieces are meant to slide about easily but get gummed up from dust from the belt and clutch blocks.
It sounds difficult but it isn't, just allow yourself time and follow the service manual. Otherwise find a competent mechanic but expect 2 to 4 hours labour rate plus the cost of a belt and rollers.
Of course the knocking could be something else but these bikes are tough so start with the basic maintenance stuff first.
Back to top Go down
COMick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-10-31

noise under load Empty
PostSubject: Re: noise under load   noise under load I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2024 6:04 pm

I hate to say this, but my 04 Swing does something similar. But I've pretty much determined that it was my lockable left side glove compartment door rattling. I don't keep it locked very often so around 3500 RPM I get a nice little rattle until I get over 4000. Probably not the same problem that you're having.
Back to top Go down
dmosemorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-08-29

noise under load Empty
PostSubject: Re: noise under load   noise under load I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

Thanks for all the input. I already taped down the rattling glove box covers and front windshield garnish. As to how much "load, it seems to happen whenever I climb a hill at around 3700 rpm. I am 160 lbs, and the tire pressures are OK, so.... I will dig into the belt cover and see what I find. If I have the courage, I will go further into the drive innards.

Again, thanks! Great Forum, and I will report back.
Back to top Go down

noise under load
Page 1 of 1