Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

checking the oil

Go down 
+3
COMick
Kunamika Hopper
Boating123
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-05-31

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm

Hi -
Just wanted to see of this oil level looked ok?  I have not used my 2005 Silverwing much this year (only 10k it has in total ) but I just checked the oil level after riding it for 15 minutes and letting it cool down.  I had got a full oil change and filter a year ago but wondered if I needed one now since I probably drove it less then 200 miles all year. Its kept in warm climate and I usually try to ride it a couple hours each month .  Does this level and oil color look okay? I assume if I was low on oil the light would go on while the engine was on?  Also should the drive belt be inspected at this age even though has low mileage?

Thanks in advance

Dan checking the oil  Oil_ch11
checking the oil  Oil_ch10
Back to top Go down
Kunamika Hopper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Kunamika Hopper

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2020-09-18

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 8:52 pm

I'm colorblind, but it's still clear. Can't really tell on the level without the stick being pulled and held vertically. Looks pretty high if not dripping to a different level
Back to top Go down
COMick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-10-31

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 8:53 pm

Dan,

I have a 2004 here in the foothills of the Rockies. I bought it with only 6,000 miles on it a few years ago. I decided to replace the original belt at 7,000 miles because, well, it was OLD. Even the best Honda belts will age over 20 years. On fairly close inspection, it looked okay, but I didn't want to take a chance on looks. I still have the old belt for a 'just in case' use, but I ride with less apprehension with a new belt. And these days, I'm doing more riding than ever up and down I-25 to and from work.

As far as the oil level and purity goes, I'll leave that response to someone much more knowledgeable than myself. Although I have a sneaky suspicion that the top line on the stick means the oil level is full - and yours might be a little too full.

Cheers,

Mark
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2022-05-31

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 9:32 pm

Depends on how the stick was pulled- did you check the level with the bike on the center stand and don’t screw in the dipstick? In other words, it’s unscrewed, you dipped it in just until the threads make contact, then remove and check the level? If you screw it in, it’s going to read high/ overfilled.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

The oil looks OK but it is hard to tell the level as mentioned above. As to the belt, replace it! 20 years? Play it safe. Cao
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-05-31

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2024 6:48 pm

COMick wrote:
Dan,

I have a 2004 here in the foothills of the Rockies. I bought it with only 6,000 miles on it a few years ago. I decided to replace the original belt at 7,000 miles because, well, it was OLD. Even the best Honda belts will age over 20 years. On fairly close inspection, it looked okay, but I didn't want to take a chance on looks. I still have the old belt for a 'just in case' use, but I ride with less apprehension with a new belt. And these days, I'm doing more riding than ever up and down I-25 to and from work.

As far as the oil level and purity goes, I'll leave that response to someone much more knowledgeable than myself. Although I have a sneaky suspicion that the top line on the stick means the oil level is full - and yours might be a little too full.

Cheers,

Mark
Thank you .. Was it the OEM Honda belt did you replace it with? can you send me the link..
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2022-05-31

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/23100-MCT-003?ref=5b3397bb8bae5d32f86096dbb29dd6b06529d153

Part number is 23100-MCT-003, so you may be able to get it cheaper by another vendor

This is the cheapest I’ve seen it for the OEM part:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1711841304

Even though it’s an OEM Honda part, I believe it’s made by Mitsuboshi (not Mitsubishi)
Back to top Go down
COMick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-10-31

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

Yeah, Dan, I used a cheeper alternative, but one that had pretty good reviews. And I built my own little variator brace since I don't have all the cool tools you need to really work on the bike. It all worked well and I'm already 6,000 happy miles into the new belt.

At the same time, I put in some DR Pulley sliders and lowered my cruising RPM's by about 500. I lost some of my low speed pick up, but then I'm not a speed demon, having to tear out from every stop sign.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2015-06-13

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

Hi Boating 123, the oil level looks good to me so long as you follow the correct procedure for checking. Also oil appears nice and clean.
Back to top Go down
arcamedies13
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2019-01-29

checking the oil  Empty
PostSubject: Re: checking the oil    checking the oil  I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

When you have the bike on the center stand and you unscrew the dipstick and wipe it clean you insert it until the threads touch not screwing it in and pull it out, long as the oil level is between the lower mark and the upper Mark vertically you are okay to go unless you are like me and would like it more towards the full Mark like yours is. After one year whether you started the bike or not you should change your oil. Engines sitting will breathe 24 hours a day based on temperature and if it pulls in moisture as it cools during the night and it condenses you could have moisture in the crankcase over a year that can create a lot of damage if you don't change the oil, it's cheap insurance with a new filter as well compared to replacing the engine or prematurely wearing it out.
Back to top Go down

checking the oil
Page 1 of 1