Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ignition wires to which plug?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DescendingRaven
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2024-05-13

Ignition wires to which plug? Empty
PostSubject: Ignition wires to which plug?   Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 2:21 pm

Hi all. I disassembled my 2004 Swing. In the process of taking it apart, I found one of the boots connecting the ignition wire to the spark plug was cracked. My plan was to get the replacements, remove the old ones and replace them one at a time, but I found out that I had the wrong wires. Long story short, I forgot which wire goes to which plug. I figured the one coming out of the right side of the ignition coil went to the plug on the right side of the bike, BUT the parts diagram on partzilla shows the wires crossing over.

Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which plug?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Ignition wires to which plug?   Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 5:50 pm

I had a flick through the service manual and especially the cable routing section, and I can't find anything which specifies which coil post goes to which plug. Given the 360 degree crank and the usual wasted spark set-up, both plugs fire on every revolution at the same time, so it should not matter which lead goes where, aside from the neatness of routing. At a complete guess, the left side plug is further from the coil so is one lead longer than the other?
Back to top Go down
DescendingRaven
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2024-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Ignition wires to which plug?   Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2024 12:17 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
I had a flick through the service manual and especially the cable routing section, and I can't find anything which specifies which coil post goes to which plug. Given the 360 degree crank and the usual wasted spark set-up, both plugs fire on every revolution at the same time, so it should not matter which lead goes where, aside from the neatness of routing. At a complete guess, the left side plug is further from the coil so is one lead longer than the other?

Thank you! I wasn't aware of the firing interval. That takes a load off when it comes to worrying about putting a spark on an empty Bottom Dead Center piston. I figure that probably the worst that could happen is it won't start up and I just needed to switch the wires.

Unfortunately, I'm not much good at reading wiring diagrams, but the ones I saw did not differentiate between the two cylinders and the shop manual I have didn't specify, so all I could really rely on were parts diagrams.

Though the wires differ in the length of the lead that goes into the ignition coil, both are the same length from the boot to the nut that holds them to the ignition coil. I'll go left to left and right to right and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Ignition wires to which plug?   Ignition wires to which plug? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

Using a single coil to fire two plugs is very common. If you look at most 4-cylinder bikes the inner two pistons rise and fall together, as do the outers, although the pairs fire on alternate strokes. Those bikes just have two coils for the four pistons. My V4 ST1300 is the same in that pistons in each bank rise and fall together and use a single coil for both plugs. My VFR800 is different as the pistons are 180 degrees part in each bank so that bike needs 4 separate coils.
Back to top Go down

Ignition wires to which plug?
Page 1 of 1