Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:34 am

» Drive belt prices
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review

Go down 
+75
ken-z
surlybiker58
stonerolled
Atrick
paul.delo451
acworthpatrick
swingmike
SonnyO
tinman
Guy
EasyRider SilverWinger
RArch
jodders1
MarkB
toolboxjesse
DickO
LarryB
DaveR
SamHouston73
larryinseattle
JeffR_
kbcmdba
dnk2112
johnd
Dimond
john123
cjuzda
model28a
goldwinger
Skyman
The Scootist
JohnJ
hobbykim
Scooterian
kleikvold
Meldrew
GaryT
Winger61
tarmacburner2
midlifecrisis (Paul)
dickie
rogerscoot
martywinger
roadrunner
wis-rider
ajay
russcarver
Laker
jimjotel
Waspie
Windrider
clarinet
Opalsboy
billmc
DennisB
Okiebezer
ehaughn
crahar
MikeO
jdeereanton
billc.
edbancro
bigbird
ronjr009
buddy19520
trooth2u
trouble1100
thomphoto
wingnprayer
Tamjay
john grinsel
dspevack
honda_silver
tonylumps
JeffR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I was given the opportunity to test the new Givi Adjustable Windshield for a review. They sent this to me on June 30th which was just a day after I spoke with the Givi representative. This will be a shorter review since I only put about 50 miles on it with my initial ride. But I did go on the interstate, state roads, and the city. And I also tested it out in the lowest, middle, and highest postions in all of roads.

Packaging

The windshield was very professionally packaged. There were 2 smaller boxes in 1 larger box and everything was put in where it would be very difficult to damage anything on the shield. And all of the parts needed were in there, although there really isn't much that is needed.

Pictures of Shield

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Entire11

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Sepera10

I removed my Givi Windshield that I cut down about 1 1/2". Measuring from the handlebar cover to the top of the Givi screen I cut down was 20 1/2" (measured from the Honda emblem on the handlebar cover). After I installed this Adjustable Givi at the highest position it measured 20 3/4", so it is about 1/4" of taller than the Givi that I took off.

The parts of the shield seem to be very sturdy and easy to use. Here are a couple of close up shots of the fasteners. I'm am calling them fasteners but Givi may refer to them by a different name.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Close_10

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Close_13

The Ride

I started the ride with the screen in it's highest position which allowed my eyes to be about 1" to 2" above the top of the screen. I started on the city street to ride out to the interstate about 1 1/2 miles. I merged onto the interstate and quickly got up to 65 mph (all speeds will be actual in this review) and I didn't notice any buffeting whatsoever. The top part of this windshield seems a bit narrower than the stock Givi shield but it seems a smoother ride without any turbulence at all. I think the gap between the screens really helps out to eliminate buffeting or back pressure. There was no back pressure that pushes your body or helmet forward at all. The single piece Givi shield that I removed would give a small bit of back pressure that would push your helmet or even your body forward a bit. But there was none of that with the new Givi Adjustable shield.

I rode up and down the highway in about 3 mile sections to try out the different height adjustments. I started out in the highest postion.

INTERSTATE

Highest Position

In the highest position it was a nice quiet ride like the single piece (original) Givi shield. But it seems to be a smoother ride since there is no turbulence at all. I ride with a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and when I raised my visor all the way up I didn't feel the need to have to wear glasses at all. Except for safty issues. I don't feel comfortable at all riding without some type of eye protection. But I wanted to test it out to see if glasses are needed. Well, they aren't. I felt a very small amount of wind/breeze but I think it was from some of the wind that came from the side or from around the shield.

I raised my hand up to see where how far the wind was being pushed up and it was at the top of my helmet. It seems that it pushes the air up about 4" over my eyes and gave absolutely no buffeting at all at 65 mph. I also tried to ride close behind semi-trucks and also to the side of them to see if I felt any of the "sailing" effect that I would get with the single piece Givi shield. Sometimes if the wind was right I would feel the wind catch the shield and give some turbulence or that "sailing" effect. Well, as much as I tried I couldn't get that effect with this new adjustable shield.

Middle Position

I then rode with the shield at the middle positon and I did find a bit more wind hitting my eyes but not much more than at the highest position. It was also pushing the wind to just an inch or two below my helmet but there was no buffeting at the middle position either. It seems to push the wind in a very friendly manner. I also didn't get any of the turbulence or buffeting either at the middle postion, even when trying to ride close to semi's.

Lowest Position

The lowest position would give me more wind, of course, but it was still a smooth kind of effect. Even though the lowest position is probably close to the height of the stock Honda screen it didn't seem to produce any buffeting, that would cause my helmet to be pushed around. The stock screen would push my helmet around pretty bad on the interstate but this Givi adjustable screen didn't do that.

As a side note: I'm 6'0" tall and when I sit on my SWing in my normal riding position my eye level is 31" from the seat. I have a longer torso than an average 6 footer so I was concerned that this adjustable shield may not be tall enough.

I have to say that this windshield on the interstate is a very nice shield that produces a nice smooth ride. There is no turbulence or buffeting at all, even when trying to ride as close to semi-trucks as I could to get that effect. I also didn't notice that "sailing" effect that I would get with the stock Givi or the XL Clearview that I had on at one time.

STATE ROAD

Highest Position

The state road that I road on had a speed limit of 45 mph and it was in very good condition with nice curves on it. I started out with the screen at the highest position and it was very smooth. I didn't really keep it at this height for very long at all. It was about 80-85 degrees there so I pulled over to adjust it to the middle position.

Middle Position

I pulled over and adjusted it to the middle position and rode about 5 miles this way and it is a very smooth ride too. Since the speed limit is only 45 mph it is really nice to have the option to adjust the screen. It felt like a very relaxed ride and gave more wind to my body which helped make the ride more enjoyable since I could stay cooler. I then pulled over to adjust it to the lowest position.

Lowest Position

I rode about another 5 miles with the screen in the lowest position and it was also a very nice ride. I think this is the height I will have it at when I ride on these types of roads at these speeds. When I would raise my visor I would feel more wind, of course, in my eyes but it wasn't alot. But it provided a nice breeze to my body and face and it still didn't produce any buffeting to my helmet/head. It was really a very nice ride that kept me cooler.

I also rode one part of my ride on a 5-6 mile stretch where the speed limit was anywhere from 15 mph to 45 mph due to the tight turns. I started the first 2 miles at the middle position and then dropped it down to the lowest position. With this type of ride it was very nice to be able to adjust the shield. Since the speed was slower, and it was hot out, this made the ride much more comfortable.

Adjusting the Screen:

As for adjusting the screen...it is very, very easy and quick. I would adjust it at stop lights or stop signs and it only takes about 5 seconds. It is just that easy. I wouldn't try to adjust this as you ride but I guess it would be possible, but not very safe. You really need to use 2 hands to do it quickly and safely.

Conclusion:

I know I only went on about a 50 mile ride but I have to say I like this new Givi adjustable screen more than the other screens I have had. I don't know if it is the "air-foil" or what, but the ride was very smooth and without any turbulence or buffeting. Even at the lowest heights I still didn't feel turbulence or buffeting. I know that there was more wind at my face at the lowest setting but the wind didn't push my helmet around. It is hard to explain but this shield seems to push the wind up a good amount of distance. When I had my Majesty I put a Laminar Lip on the Givi shield I had and it did help. I think that this shield gives that effect of the Laminar Lip but to a much better extent.

I will give additional updates but if I were in the process of buying an aftermarket screen this is the one that I would choose. I think that if you are a bit over 6' tall it will still do a good job for you. I'm not sure how it would do in the rain so I can't comment on that but it doesn't rain much out here in California.

I can say that when I am in the hills/mountains and on some nice curvy roads I will be keeping it down in the lowest positon, if it is warm out. It is really nice to have these options available to you when riding. The highest position is great on the interstate but I think I will be keeping it in the lowest or middle position in the city or out on my country rides.

Here are some more pictures:

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Close_10

This how the screen fits into the fastener.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Side_v10

This a side view of the screen at the highest level.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Pictur10

This is a picture at the lowest setting. My eyes are probably 5" over the top.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Pictur11

This is the screen at the highest level. My eyes are 1" to maybe 2" over the top.

I would like to thank Givi for giving me this opportunity to review this new shield of theirs. It really is a very nice shield and gives the rider the ability to adjust the screen as needed. If you have any questions please reply to this post and I will keep them in mind for when I give updates. I'm sure i forgot some things so please just respond and I will do my best to get you an answer, if I can. Thanks for reading.

"edited on July 5th"

I'm not sure who all sells these but I have seen them on

www.scootertrap.com and I know Matt is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by JeffR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi All,
I just returned from a 1200 mile ride, including Deal's Gap, and the Tail of the Dragon, with 4 Harleys, 1 Goldwing, 1 Reflex, and my Silverwing. This was the first long trip with my new Givi Air Flo windshield. I'm glad to report that this windshield is the best one that I have had, and that includes the regular Givi, and 3 sizes of Clearview. On the interstate, I kept it at about the halfway mark which allowed me to just see over it. There was no buffeting, but it let a nice breeze come around, just enough to be comfortable in the 90+ temps. In the twisties I put it at the lowest setting which allowed a really good view of the road ahead. I tried the lowest setting on the interstate, and I did get some buffeting on my helmet, but you would expect that. I was able to adjust it up or down with 1 hand while riding (slowly). The only issues I had was a lot of flutter at high speeds, but that was not a problem since I was looking over it, and there is some distortion if you try to look thru it. Overall, I highly recommend it.

Wendell
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm

thomphoto wrote:
The only issues I had was a lot of flutter at high speeds, but that was not a problem since I was looking over it

Was the fluttering front-back movement at the top of the windshield??

Do you have the optional bracket installed ... I wonder if that was intended for high speed movement.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Yes, the flutter was front back movement on the lower section. And I did not install the brackets, but I will be doing that soon to see if that makes a difference. By the way, my gas mileage for the 1200 miles was 54 MPG and that included about 300 miles of interstate at 70 indicated.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 4:58 pm

thomphoto wrote:
Yes, the flutter was front back movement on the lower section. And I did not install the brackets, but I will be doing that soon to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know.

thomphoto wrote:
By the way, my gas mileage for the 1200 miles was 54 MPG and that included about 300 miles of interstate at 70 indicated.

Would that be lower, normal or higher from prior MPG comparisons??
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Actually, this was the first time I ever checked it.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:34 am

Hey All,

I am curious if you saw an increase or decrease in gas mileage with the Givi AF214.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 11:18 am

I must be a real dumb ass. This morning I removed my new Air Flo windshield thinking I would install the little brackets to see if that helped with the fluttering at higher speeds. After 2 hrs, I gave up on it. For the life of me I can't figure out how these little bastards are supposed to go on, and how they would accomplish anything if they were on. The pictures that Givi supplies are so crappy I can't make out anything. I can usually figure things like this out, but these have me completely baffeled. Doe's anyone have clear photos of these things installed?
Thanks,
Wendell
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks bigbird, that's beginning to make sense. I couldn't see how the bolt would work by just drilling a hole, and the instructions say you drill 2 holes. Also, does' the bracket go on first under the windshield, or on top of it?

Wendell
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 pm

ehaughn wrote:
Hey All,

I am curious if you saw an increase or decrease in gas mileage with the Givi AF214.

ehaughn,

I have noticed that if I do the speed limits that i'm getting about 2-3 mpg better. If I decide to ride it a more aggressive the SWing just drinks gas, so I don't think it does any better than the stock. But it does feel that you don't feel the wind hitting the shield but it being deflected in a much smoother manner so maybe that is one reason. I also lower the shield too when riding on the 45 mph roads that I ride on too, so that could be a reason.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks Terry, I think I've got it now. Will give it another shot in the morning.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 pm

BigBird is right Drill 1 hole each side i took off the tupperware and took some pictures I do not know how to post them I emailed them to DennisB He posted pictures for me in my past life Tony

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Tony112

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Tony211

Last edited by DennisB on Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pictures)
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks Dennis
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 10:36 pm

Fantastic, thanks Dennis and Tony. I knew someone on this forum would show me how to do this. I'll get the job done in the morning and report if it makes any difference in the fluttering.

Wendell
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: windshield   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 am

Has anybody actually went out and did some real miles under varied conditions to see how shield really performs would like know before I spend-----real miles to me are-----like trip I just got back from, Fri to Thurs 2400 miles, temps 60 to 100 plus, TN to UP Mich and back. Need to know about fog/rain/shaking of shield/Night---in other words does it really work. Need for earplugs? Several days of 400-500 miles under bad conditions can tell a lot about an accessory and whether it makes you feel good or bad-------My Clearview/vented with Laminar Lip was miserable---I took lip off about midway---I think it added to buffeting

John Grinsel Bugs,too.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:07 am

Installed the Givi brackets on the Air Flo this morning. Took about 30 minutes with the excellent directions by Tony and Dennis. Would have taken less, but I dropped one of the bolts and had to fish it out with a magnet. I took a short test ride, and there was a very noticeable improvement in the flutter. I guess the Givi engineers knew what they were doing. I did photos of the entire procedure and will post them when I get time and figure out how to do that.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 11:30 am

I know as soon as I tighten the bolts on the bracket the whole front became one piece So it seemed.
Back to top Go down
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

thomphoto wrote:
By the way, my gas mileage for the 1200 miles was 54 MPG and that included about 300 miles of interstate at 70 indicated.
I just filled up after an indicated 189 40-50 mph miles and got 56.54 mpg. In calculating this, I added 5% to the 189 miles to account for the increase in rear tire size and consequent odometer under-reporting in using the larger darkside tire. I keep the Airflow shield at the lowest setting.
Best, Jules Abramson, Warrenton, VA
Back to top Go down
Okiebezer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiebezer

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Good review. A quick question...what is the ball bracket on the handles in the picture above that shows the dash from side view? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 pm

That's a RAM 1" GPS ball used with a Custom Silverwing mount.
Back to top Go down
Okiebezer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiebezer

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:32 pm

O
Back to top Go down
billmc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:39 am

I'm sure this thread will continue for a while, but give me your opinions please. I don't have enough (any) riding experience to know about things like back pressure or buffeting or even if I have a heavy helmet. What I do know is I've got the stock windshield on a 2004, its yellowed from the sun, and I think somebody sandblasted it. Basically it needs to be replaced. All of you seem pretty enthused about this Airflow. I only want to buy one. Should I buy this or should I get the stock again?

Once again, thanks for the input.
Bill
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:39 am

In my humble opinion the stock screen is dreadful !! Why Honda made it so narrow I shall never know. It gives little protection from the wind around the body.

The best thing I ever did was to buy this Airflow, it has reduced the buffeting enormously. I know it's expensive but well worth the money.

Buy one if it's within your budget.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3793
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:38 am

Has it reduced the noise, Laurie?
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 am

Yes, Mike - quite substantially.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:01 am

Thanks. givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:26 am

My original 03 had the Givi so, I thought every Swing came with one. I read all the discussions on Givi, Stock, Clearview and Lips and wondered what all the fuss was about.
Now with my 05 and its stock... let me add to the fuss. Man... what a difference. I can't stand it. Takes away a lot of the fun of riding. The noise is terrible. The wind is stout. (That is not that bad here now with the 100 F weather.)
I have just purchased the Givi adjustable to install during my upgrade project.
Idea I have never seen it on a forum, but if something happened to my stock and it was summer again... I would investigate running with no screen at all. Shocked Couldn't be any worse than stock. Would look a little weird, but that is just me.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Gary,

We can always cut that stock windshield down to a sport type shield. You will get allot of wind, bugs, and sweet summer rain in your face, but it will be smooth wind coming off the front of the scooter. What a Face
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 am

Dennis said: "We can always cut that stock windshield down to a sport type shield. You will get allot of wind, bugs, and sweet summer rain in your face, but it will be smooth wind coming off the front of the scooter. "

Dang, what am I waiting for.. wind, bugs, rain... it don't get any better than that...

I have considered cutting the stock though,,, only I wanted to cut from top to bottom.... Rolling Eyes Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 am

well after reading this i have just emaild givi to see if the airflow fits my 2010 SW .
Although im not tall the buffering from the standard screen is not at all nice and makes any run a bit unconfortable, i need to do something.
Rob.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:30 am

reply from givi.
Good Morning Robert,

Thanks for your recent enquiry,

I can confirm that the AF214 airflow screen is compatible with the 600cc (years 01-09)

Thanks and regards

GIVI-UK

i asked if it would fit my 2010 SW it apears it wont from the above.
Rob
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 am

Yes but I think the 2010 model is identical in most respects to the previous ones.
I have a 2009 one - it's no different from the 2008 model.

And.......I have just ordered mine from my dealer in Ostend.
I've been looking on UK sites but thought I might as well see if I could get one here and save myself the shipping costs.
My dealer can get one for me.
Including the €10 postage the dealer pays, it will cost €157.00/£129.77/$199.70 at today's exchange rates.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: My quick test   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:15 pm

I did look to this forum for views/reviews on the new adjustable windshield but didn't get the exact imput I wanted.....so I bought one---Helmet Head @$215 shipped/

Got it last Thurs installed Fri, went to Microcar Museum/Madison GA--- 425 miles round trip lots of back roads, returned to Chatanooga via Interstate.

A couple of hundred miles running around and yesterday Mon 8/30---Gatlinburg TN to look at what passes for skiing here. Another 425 miles with limited Freeway, maybe total of 40 miles.

So have done some quick miles---tried to ride in rain, but only got a few drops and tried for shield fogging in the mountains as you go thru temperature changes---couldn't make it happen. So following are my experiences in the dry and also at night.

First I have owned some real buffeting queens, all new, in recent years---Honda Helix,Fusion, Reflex and now the SilverWing, plus Suzuki 400 Burgman and Kawasaki Concours---All miserable on highway if you like still about your head/ears/face.

Funny I don't usually drive cars---but my wife got new one recently---we didn't have to change windshield to make it driveable---Scooter/MC designers must not ride, maybe they should be required to take their vacations on the junk they design and better stuff could be dreamed up at the same price point.

So Shield:

#1 Nicely made, fits, drilled holes from picture on this forum.

#2 Provides at least comfortable air up to 60-65 mph---I ride with 3/4 open face helmet, safety glasses of one type or another. Tried 2 different helmets, 3 different helmet bills.

#3 at lower speeds can get by , with no earplugs---Freeway 65-80mph earplugs needed. Lots of other noises at those speeds.

#4 I have shield adjusted about one inch above lowest position---allowsgood see over at nite with no funny reflections. I tried it at top position----good way to die...distorted, could give headache---but most important I think I may have figured out why looking thru windshield on moving bike is so dangerous---Vertigo---you are looking thru something that is constantly shifting from side to side---I think what we need to see is horizon to keep upright and second here youareblind insnowfall/sleet/bugs into sunset, etc. I know from dark tunnel experience in Norway and other places in Europe where in unlighted tunnel where you cannot see end due to curve you can come up with the bike leaning funny----scarey.

So of the many replacement shields I have bought---Cee Bailey/Clearview/Puig/also Givi that required lots of saw/file work this is the best so far at OVERCOMING THE BASIC DESIGN FAULT OF MODERN SCOOTERS/BIKES-----YOUR FACE/NOSE IS TOO FAR FROM TIP OF SHIELD! Guess the style people determine what will sell...by looks and feel in showroom not going down the road. Industry needs to wake up, as nothing is selling right now...and maybe we need some new ideas.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks, John.
Seems I've done the right thing.

Most interesting observation about Vertigo - it's said (and I find it so) that one way of avoiding sea-sickness is to watch the horizon, not the ship.
I guess it's the same principle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 pm

bigbird wrote:
GYROB wrote:

i asked if it would fit my 2010 SW it apears it wont from the above.
Rob

You're jumping to a conclusion that is not true. If you have a 2010 Swing 600, not a GT, it will fit.
Thanks
i have Swing 600 not GT and just had an email from a suplier of the airflow and hes just about sure it will fit .
He said check with the dealer to see if the bodywork was changed from 2009 -2010.
looking that i can fit it after all Smile
Rob.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 12:51 am

John,

I'm kind of confused if you like it or you just consider it to be better than the standard Givi. Also, why do you keep the top part so low? I keep mine all the way up, and it does great, but I'm no where close to looking through it. I'm 6' tall and I do have a longer torso than average but putting it as low as you use it would make it a bit louder. But it does great for me.

So anyway, I read your post and not quite sure if you reallly like it. I also wear earplugs all the time since I do have hearing loss.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 4:09 am

I have a 2010 SWing and the Airflow fits, no problem.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 am

for JeffR----it is ok, given that the scooter is designed wrong for max. rider comfort and air management. But a Heinrich Fairing, a CECO did better job of calm air on the face and I think Glaeser or Hannigan would do same. This windshield will stay with bike for its life with me.

I am 5'9" low works ok---up more brings no improvement. My goal=comfort behind a screen--doable as Heinrich beginning in 1958 hit the spot for me.

Last as long as you don't go fast, that is over 65-70 mph the Givi is fairly comfortable---real fast big city speeds and its gets a little bad.

Just move up on seat so nose is 8-12" from shield tip---air quiet and calm---of course I know impossible to ride always on tip of seat----thus the basic design flaw.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 6:52 am

yes iv just ordered one Laurie hopefully be here for the weekend.
Rob.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 pm

A question
i have one on order Smile do the bits that stick out at the bottom take the wind away from your hands .
Rob.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 3:58 pm

I find the little things that stick out do divert air from hands----I have not found big, real rain to see what it does then. Rain---I hope it does good job---that is shoot water over my head and does not dribble at the joint----but I think air passes thru there at a fair rate of speed and should be shot over my head. Snow, will be glad that I see over.

Upper arms, near shoulders do get some wind-----wearing "real" bike clothes that do not flap takes care of that.

For me, It ( the shield)does what I want....reasonable quiet air around the head and fairly quiet.

This AM I tried with third helmet----Nolan (made by the company that doesn't know we have ears.) This one has high quality face shield. No ear plugs much louder that 3/4 jet helmet. The Nolan will remain on shelf.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 4:37 pm

thanks John
i dont tend to ride in the rain unless i get caught out in it lol
i have just got a new bike jacket fully wind and water proof so should be ok as it all velcros down so no flaping .
I fitted my leg deflectors today but have to waite 24 hours for the tape part to dry out so no test ride yet .
I do like the look of them though and sure they will deflect the wind from my feet/legs .
Rob.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 6:55 am

Yesterday--9/4----it cooled down, maybe 50-55 F in the mountains early in the morning.

Two things on shield:

Really not much hand/finger protection as it gets cold. See Your HD dealer for good winter mitts. Or Hand guards to block the wind. National Cycle used to have some that work on Helix or was it Reflex? work on SilverWing?

Although there was some fog as I went in and out of valleys, couldn't get the shield to fog.

Third: Height---I once again tried moving the height around. About 1" from lowest works for me. Keeping speed down, quite comfortable....as you approach 70mph face shield needed or goggles. Actually keeping speed down ok. Low works great as you are going up and down around these curves for first time. Really seeing can be lifesaver.

Last at 50-60 mph on back roads, the SilverWing with this Givi Shield is about as comfortable as it is going to get as far as wind management on this type of scooter.

I rode TN Hwy 116 yesterday---about half is very good surface, little traffic, but
some bubbas in their pickups thinking they are the next road racing champ.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:11 am

I adapted some handguards* for my bike but I don't think they'll clear the big screen.
When mine comes I'll report back.

*Links to pictures in this thread, post #5:

https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/hand-guards-deflectors-t1595.htm?highlight=hand+guards
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Really not much hand/finger protection as it gets cold.

Since I ride year round this was one of major concerns ... I would be curious if anyone else could also confirm??

If Givi offered the ability to attach/detach seasonal handguard to the windshield (similar to the Clearview), then the Givi Air Flow would be worth switching from my Clearview XL.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 am

Mine's arrived at the dealer's and I shall collect it tomorrow.

Just a quickie confirmation: I'm assuming that to drill the two holes one does NOT have to remove any tupperware other than the front panel.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:05 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks bigbird - I'm in 'Oh God, will I be able to manage it?' mode!
I usually do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next