Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear shock longevity

Go down 
+4
steve_h80
dovahkiin
Terry Smith
Erdoc48
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Rear shock longevity Empty
PostSubject: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 8:18 pm

I read quite a few posts on the forum regarding rear shocks- at some point, I’ll likely get the YSS shocks (I suspect I’ll have to get them via eBay and have them shipped from either the UK or Europe). My SWing currently has just over 10K miles and now rides much better with the HyperPro springs up front- I read one post by John Grinsel indicating on 2 of his SWings, he never had to change the shocks in 100K miles of riding. I was considering replacing them not because mine are shot, but I get concerned about how long replacements will be available. So the question is, how long do OEM shocks generally last (in your experience) mileage wise?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm

The shocks on my 01 failed spectacularly at around 70,000km on a big dip taken at speed; the seals effectively popped and the oil ran out. In the bike's defence it had been parked in a salt spray zone for a few years before it fell into my clutches, and it is entirely possible shaft corrosion was the main reason for seal failure.
Back to top Go down
dovahkiin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2022-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 pm

When I bought my 2nd Silverwing, the previous owner clocked in 136,000km (~85,000 miles) on the stock suspensions.

The suspensions kept bottoming out. Getting over speed bumps were a chore! I replaced it with brand new Hagon suspensions after a good 2 weeks and life has been good ever since.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am

Most bike shocks are past their best at 30k miles in my experience, although the better quality ones do last longer.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 am

My bike is just on 100 000 miles and the back shocks are still fine but then I'm only 50kgs.

The front seals have been replaced a couple of times and filled with 20W to stiffen up the ride a bit.

But otherwise still standard and no issues.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am

I am at about 26K miles on the stock shocks. No leakage and no problems but then I don't rode like a kid on a Hyabusa either! LOL

That said I did have my front fork seals replaced a few years ago and put 15w oil in them.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 am

Thanks very much for all of the replies. It seems like I shouldn’t be in a rush to replace them if they’re working fine.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 3:18 pm

I bought my SW at 15,000 miles and it took me while to realize that the OEM rear shocks were bottoming out with pillion.

When I started to see oil seeping out I changed them for YSS Ecos. The OEM ones were not very clean and being near salty air probably contributed to their early demise.

I now take the YSS shocks off the bike occasionally to give them a good clean. You might be surprised at the amount of crud which builds up, especially at the top end. The OEM shocks look nice but all that chrome is a magnet for salt and crud unless you keep them spotlessly clean.
Back to top Go down
LarryD
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2023-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

qu on shock oil. Will changing to a thicker weight oil in my front and rear shocks improve the ride under my 230Lb body. I do get some rear end bottoming out with the current settup.

Note that I am happy to be back on the forum. Purchased a 2004 swing late August /23 with 11,500 miles. on it. Put about 1000 miles on it before having to put it away for the winter in Sept. I like the ride. Then went south to Yuma Arizona for the winter.

Home now . Recently took the swing out of storage for a 50 mile ride. Nice to be riding again. It is snowing right now and I hope it does not accumulate.

Other problem I am having is a slow leak in the rear tire. Sprayed the tire with water but could not find the leak, Put a new inner valve stem, hoping it solves the problem. Will see tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear shock longevity   Rear shock longevity I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear shock longevity
Page 1 of 1