Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.

Go down 
+15
Winger61
cjuzda
Windrider
Guy
Waspie
AAAA
Opalsboy
john grinsel
JeffR_
bigbird
Lab Rat
tonylumps
honda_silver
MikeO
Meldrew
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  Empty
PostSubject: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:48 pm

So there I was yesterday evening, about 25 miles into the 150 home journey from York to my home in Cumbria. I was on the A1(M) motorway doing 70 mph in the centre lane after overtaking some trucks when... bang! something struck the top of my helmet. At first I thought it was a bird, but it was the top section of my Givi shield, it had detatched itself from the lower section, no warning, just bang! and away.

The wind blast on my chest, and the noise level inside my helmet increased despite the ear plugs I was weariing, and focused my attention to the missing shield section. Luckily the traffic was pretty light in the early evening and there was no cars or trucks close behind me to be hit by the polycarbonate shield.

Why and how it happened I've no idea, I've probably rode 1000 miles or more since I last adjusted the shield, and both clamps were fully locked. As the shield struck the top of my Schuberth J1 open face helmet it also neatly removed the ventilation scoop on the top.

The rest of the ride home was uneventful, but it was cold riding in a summer riding suit behind half a windshield. I stopped and put on my EDZ windshirt before riding up over the County Durham section of the Pennines. Even wearing ear plugs it was pretty noisy riding, and I had a good splattering of insects on my visor when I arrived home.

I've made enquires about a replacement top section, and I'm still waiting to hear how much it will cost.

So y'all go and check your Airflows now.

Meldrew
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Not good! Glad it didn't do you any damage.

I have wondered if it might fly off - perhaps it's time to drill a small hole and attach a safety-cord.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I was on the A1(M) motorway doing 70 mph in the centre lane after overtaking some trucks when... bang! something struck the top of my helmet. At first I thought it was a bird, but it was the top section of my Givi shield, it had detatched itself from the lower section, no warning, just bang! and away.

Meldrew wrote:
Why and how it happened I've no idea, I've probably rode 1000 miles or more since I last adjusted the shield, and both clamps were fully locked.
JeffR_,

Do you still have the Givi contact who provided you the Givi Airflow. We should let them know ... this is very dangerous.

Meldrew,

Were you able to find the top portion of the windshield to see if the windshield failed/broke??
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm

I think I would have risked certain death trying to recover the windshield by turning and riding against the traffic flow on the emergency hard shoulder to wherever it landed on the motorway, stopping the Silver Wing, and then running out into three lanes of very fast traffic in an attempt to retrieve it, then running back to the hard shoulder. I'd have been road kill, or embedded in the front grill of a truck like Lotso bear in Toy Story 3, and probably have caused more fatalities in a multiple pile up too.

Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Now you had me thinking, So went and checked my shield. And sure enough one of the adjusting nuts was a little loose. When I tugged on the top half of the shield one side slipped up about a 1/2". Took the top shield off and snugged up both adjusting nuts (10MM) on backside of the cam levers. Never thought about it before, Now that would sure wake me up. Sorry about that Mishap.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 pm

tonylumps wrote:
And sure enough one of the adjusting nuts was a little loose.
Is this a documented maintenance item by Givi??

Givi's installation are typically horrible ... I wonder if they even documented any maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 pm

So Meldrew, was there any plastic bits left in the clamps, like if the windscreen broke? Or do you have the impression it just slid right out of them? Is it possible that something hit it, and knocked it out? (I highly doubt it, but it was worth asking.)

I'm going to have to doublecheck mine...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 am

Meldrew,

I'm sorry to hear about your windshield and hope you are ok. Here is the information I have for the person I was in contact with:

Craig Dougan

GIVI USA Inc

Charlotte NC

877 679-4484

www.giviusa.com

I will send you a PM with other info.

Thanks,

Jeff

Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 am

The 10MM nuts are Nylocks I never thought about checking the tension on the Cam locks when I installed the shield. Never Tugged at it anyway. So it was probably loose from the time I installed it Just a thought
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 am

Since being headbutted by the flying Airflow last week I've ordered a replacement top shield which will cost me £38 plus postage, £38 is about US $60, and I'll leave the Aussies and Canadians to do their own exchange rates. Smile

The problem was caused by the 10mm nylock nuts loosening off, I've since unlocked the cam levers and the clamps moved as I wiggled the levers. Last week moments before it came off, I had noticed the screen height had dropped and was angled more towards me, but I couldn't have done anything to prevent it flying off anyway.

To prevent any further mishaps with the replacement shield I'll make regular checks, and either Loctite the nylock nuts to prevent them slackening off, or carry a 10mm mini socket spanner in the glovebox.

I've also got an idea for preventing a loose shield from sliding out of the lower shield rails, but I need the replacement top shield to see if I can do it, and requires no drilling or fitting of cords.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 am

I too removed sliding section to really clean up.

Little WD40 now and then on clamp lever. Now--GET THIS----did have to tighten the two nuts maybe more than once---10mm socket worked ok. Lite touch.

Never was concerned of it coming off---but saw the possibility

Would buy another of those windshields again, as they seem to be the best comfort/buffeting solution for SilverWing and other big scooters.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:16 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:46 pm

A few weeks ago I had visited grand kids in a nearby town and was on the way home when I hit a very major section of a city street that had been dug out slightly ( although at the time it seemed to be waist deep ) for repair. No signs or markers of any kind. I had just a second or two to hit the brakes before doing a nosedive. My Givi AirFlow top section went airborne. I was almost able to catch it. I at least was able to deflect it from my face. I immediately turned around and went back to get it. No damage to the section. I didn't think of it being a Givi problem at the time because that was a very SEVERE jolt. Since then I have paid attention to the top section as to how secure it seems to be in the clamps. Just a couple of days ago, I did tighten up the two nuts and will make it a routine check point for future servicing.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm

bigbird wrote:
Following this sage advice, I applied the 10mm socket to my nuts.
Didn't accomplish much.

Then I tightened my GIVI AirFlow.
Worked wonders.

Wow! Applying anything to my nuts does me a world of good!
The sky's a little bluer, the airs a little clearer . . . . . . . . . .
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:09 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Tagg wrote:

Sore subject in the Waspie household today.

Both these little fella's are minus theirs!!!!

Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  SDC10516
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Yeah, I can tell their air is a little clearer... cute ... now how will you tell them apart?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Easy Gary - attitude!!!!!

One is stubborn the other sensitive!
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm

[quote="Waspie"]
Tagg wrote:

Sore subject in the Waspie household today.

Both these little fella's are minus theirs!!!!

I hope they get their motorcycles back!

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:32 am

As a follow up to Meldrews initial post about his upper screen departing!!!

I decided to check mine this morning as I noticed the right hand lever wasn't holding the upper section as firmly as it did. I did indeed get a aprt turn of the socket on the 10mil stiff nut.

So this of you riding with the Givi AF214 I would advice regular testing to ensure the upper screen is being held firmly.
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:25 am

I am far from being $loaded$, but I need relief from the buffeting, and to a lesser degree, wind noise. I'm afraid if I can't get relief I may have to sale my SWing. Made a 130 mile trip yesterday and was beat to death. Tell me what you think; would you go for a Givi AF214, and/or a Laminar Lip. Suggestions appreciated. I found a source to buy a Laminar Lip, but could not find a place to buy a Givi. I tried a Google search, but found none. If you know of a source, I would apprcate it.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:41 am

Guy wrote:
I am far from being $loaded$, but I need relief from the buffeting, and to a lesser degree, wind noise. I'm afraid if I can't get relief I may have to sale my SWing. Made a 130 mile trip yesterday and was beat to death. Tell me what you think; would you go for a Givi AF214, and/or a Laminar Lip. Suggestions appreciated. I found a source to buy a Laminar Lip, but could not find a place to buy a Givi. I tried a Google search, but found none. If you know of a source, I would apprcate it.

Turned mine into a quiet, useable scooter, had it in less than 4 days.

http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=4771&RetURL=search&search=&BlockSize=20&SortOrder=Default&bikeType=&bikeMake=&bikeModel=&bikeYear=&MfgCode=GIV&subgroupID=301
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 7:23 am

Having purchased a Givi non-adjustable( had to cut down to see over), a Clearview with GoldWing Vent (again required some cutting), Laminar Lip on both of the mentioned shields (doesn't work) plus stock shield, I ended up with GIVI adjustable.....works quite well on SilverWing. As Base line I use experience with Heinrich Fairing equipped BMW or modern Base line my NT700V, which has some of the best air management in the business....looking over screen.

Buffeting can drive you nuts---last week did 2 600 plus mile days on my GIVI equipped (adj) Burgman---the shield combo does not work well on that scooter at high speeds. Have new 7Jurock shield coming.

Further I have MRA spoiler, used on Givi adj and stock burgman shield, bolted on=not work.

Too bad makers don't require designers and approvers of bike to ride them for 2 work weeks to make sure they work before putting on market. Common problem on modern scooters, you nose too far from tip of shield=buffeting----I think from looking at pictures of the 2 new BMW scooters, they will buffet! in addition to costing too much with their Taiwan heart.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:54 am

John, Last week you rode 2600 Miles, Where did you go?
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:30 am

Windrider wrote:
John, Last week you rode 2600 Miles, Where did you go?

I believe he meant Two 600 mile days
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:19 pm

I rode two days 600 plus miles each----total for 7 day week must I have been well over 2500 miles. Went to MO, anything to get out of TN---today the idiots here are running red lites in their pickups---makes riding a scooter thrilling.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:33 pm

First ride out today with my new AirFlow screen- love it!!! Laughing

Rode out with Mike and the X9OC guys, 110 miles on the clock when I got home.
Still tweaking the height to get it 'just right', but what a difference. Started at about 2 inches below eye level, then raised it about half an inch - seems to be about right for me, but more rides may lead to more small adjustments.
And I thought the stock screen was OK!!! Wrong!! Smile

Graham
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks Tagg. Ordered mine today.
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Installed my Givi AF 214 night before last. I could not understand the instructions. Decided the two stainless steel plates must be meant for the Givi DT-214. Left them out and put it all back together. By then it was too late for a test drive. I was still concerned about those two stainless steel plates, so reviewed all posts I had seen and after reading Silver Surfer's post of 8/26/10 decided the plates did indeed fit, one way or another. Next day took it back apart, and with Silver Surfer's post for help, FiNaLy saw the light. Installed the plates, put it all back together, went for a test drive and 100% satisfied with shield and installation. Thanks Silver Surfer.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 12:01 am

Guy,

You just opened a can of worms with the Givi Bracket. Some of us have not installed it and others have. I still get "hate mail" from members here because I'm the new age "James Dean" for not installing them. Cool
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 8:29 pm

You forgot to mention that you like chicken fried steak also
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Guess what? I lost the top section of my Aiflow again! After a lovely day riding in Dumfries and Galloway, and the Scottish Borders with Mrs M on the back, I joined the M6 near Gretna and I was barely back inside England and away it went.

I had a fleeting glimpse of something dark going across my shadow on the road, and then when I looked ahead the top section wasn't there and the turbulence and wind noise kicked in. Like Victor Meldrew I thought "I don't believe it!", it's happened again. Luckily neither me or Mrs M were hit by the top section, and over the intercom I explained what had happened. She hadn't seen it go, but is now concerned about it happening again if I get another replacement top section.

I need one pretty soon as I'm going to Germany next month, and I don't want to put the stock screen back on. As for the tightness of the 10mm nuts, this was only my second ride on the scooter since I last checked and tightened them. I'm thoroughly pissed off with this happening again.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Bloody hell - you are so unlucky.

Be interested if any other Givi AF screen user has had the top let go.

Puts my whining about hearing it flex to shame.

Can't offer anything Meldrew apart from sympathy I'm afraid. Not going to insult to suggest this or that as your a pretty astute kinda geeza!!

Are you going to contact Givi and see what they say?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't know yet, I'll order a replacement tomorrow, and maybe replace the nyloc nuts, use locking agent on the threads, and think again about some method of screen retention. No one has been hurt... So far!
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Is it possible to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the 'ribs' in the sliding portion and the fit a couple of nylon number plate bolts or similar to prevent this from happening? As Lady Bracknell said, 'Once is an accident, twice is carelessness'. Ducks below parapet to avoid incoming from Meldrew !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Well me or anyone else shouldn't have to do anything, it should be 'fit for purpose' straight out of the box. As for drilling holes to fit nylon bolts, spring pins etc. it's an awkward place to drill in the area of the ribs or rails, and if you cock it up and damage the screen you're going to have to replace it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:54 pm

I watched mine everyday---on both SilverWing and Burgman 400. Shield itself offered about the best weather protection and air management possible on SilverWing-----Not so on Burgman, even ground away some to allow me to lower it a little, placing even less grip onshield sliders.---since sold shield and replaced with 7Jurock, which works a little better and has great look over. On GIVI---I gave little spray on WD40 on moving joints of clamps (normally not good idea on thing that clamp) but works.

Also maybe all fault is not on clamps----make sure groves/ramps on the shield are clean----hot water and dish soap or in my case Windex worked, taking sliding shield off and really cleaning them.

Not fun having expensive stuff fly away.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Meldrew,

I would have thought that drilling a hol or couple of holes in the ribs wouldn't be too much of a problem. Obviously they don't have to be as large as number plate bolts, any nylon bolt ( aesthetics ) would do. It is going to be a pain getting the bolts in position with the top section in place but not beyond the bounds...

Crazy that you have now lost two top sections. I must admit that since this thread started I have started checking the screen on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Givi AF-214   Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Hot dog!
I relieved my GV Airflow 214 today and at only $ 220.00 in less than 5 working days. Thanks again to every ones help on this one.
I had no problem, what so ever installing it, on my first try.
After reading all the comments about how difficult the directions were, I decided not to even look at them.
I had already installed the bracket years ago and did not even bother installing the new one.
I have not ridden my love yet, but I wanted every one to know, that I was one of the lucky ones that had no problem, what so ever with the installation. cheers 
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: GV Windshield   Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 9:59 am

Sorry for not checking in more often. Working 50 hr. weeks.
I sent an email to GIVI because my top half came off hitting me in the helmet in traffic, like many others.
It seemed tight when I cleaned it, the week before and it had not been on the open road since.
Best windshield after three tries with others BUTTTT! affraid
Thanks for all your hard work in helping this fantastic forum servive and thrive, with all the amazing people that contribute valuable information.
I use my S/W every day for work but take my Honda ST1100 for the longer rides, only because I have an oil leak caused by my going 105 mph on the way back from Death Valley. (it flew like a straight arrow) and never thought I was going that fast) dumb **** that I am.

I'm sorry to hear about your windshield and hope you are ok.  Here is the information I have for the person I was in contact with:

Craig Dougan

GIVI USA Inc

Charlotte NC

877 679-4484

www.giviusa.com

I will send you a PM with other info.

Thanks,

Jeff

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.    Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AF214 Airflow Windshield.
Page 1 of 1