Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW

Go down 
+4
MikeO
Loosemarbles
Erdoc48
landisr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2024-04-06

Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW Empty
PostSubject: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2024 2:38 pm

I am very happy with this 'bike' so far. For reference, check here:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t13316-sold-2004-honda-silver-wing-for-sale-tastefully-modded-sold#135371

So far, I experimented with returning to the stock seat configuration, for at least cosmetic reasons. I took a short test ride and within 2 blocks my mind was made up: Reinstall the A.M. backrest! Loving it. Next, I removed the Delkevic pipe and reinstalled the stock "silencer". Oh how nice. I'm a happy camper. I put on some 'soft grips' which I like. I then thought that since I had swapped pipes, that I should delete the Power Commander. I failed at my first attempt to remove the left body cover, but I don't think I damaged anything. I raised the seat, removed the grab rail/rack and panel below the license plate and also the left passenger peg mount. I removed the 3 screws and gently pulled out on the rear lower corner of the cover and it came loose. I did the same on the front lower corner and it came loose. I then lifted the whole cover a bit and it came up a bit and the cover 'almost' came off, but something was holding the top rear corner yet. I checked the owners and service manuals and also YT. I did a number of searches here, and contacted the seller. No luck anywhere. While waiting for responses from here and the seller, I proceeded to trace the harness for the PC. I now know how to remove the tool tray/top cover. ;-) I found the connections, but could not provide the proper pinch technique to release the multi-pin connectors. At that point I decided to put everything back together and risk running the 'map' with the stock muffler on my ride on Saturday. * It seemed to run just fine, with a slight reduction in power, but it was still comfortable running at 65-70 mph on expressways, with plenty in reserve. I have an overnight ride coming up in another week. If I find the time, inspiration and tips from here, I will make another attempt at removing the PC. I now know how to remove the spark plug access panel for better access to the PC connectors.

* Regarding the ride yesterday, it comprised 158.4 miles (indicated), predominately expressway with a short distance on a 2 lane highway. It took 2.789 US gallons, for 56.8 mpg. Granted, this was with a fill-up at start and end, on the side stand, running the minimum flow rate possible, until it overfilled SLIGHTLY. A more accurate estimate will happen on the next ride which will encompass 6 or 700 miles, including elevations ranging from 1,000 to 9,000 feet. We'll see how that goes. I may take a 'plug reading' before then just to see if it is running too rich. What do y'all think? Perhaps I won't need to remove the PC after all.. ?? FWIW, the fuel gauge at final fill-up this time still showed 2 bars; no flashing. Is it recommended to put the bike on the center stand while refueling?

Ron

Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2024 7:39 pm

I have zero familiarity with a Power Commander- what is it used for? I guess it’s like a chip to fool the ECU, maybe advance the timing for better performance?
Back to top Go down
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2024 8:40 pm

Sort of like that, only for the fuel injectors. I'm not sure with the older models about adjusting air intake because of the more 'primitive' ECU. Someone with more familiarity may chime in here. I'm new to it'; first exposure..
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 2:46 pm

Fuelling the bike on the centre stand makes more sense. I rarely use the side stand anyhow.

Last edited by Loosemarbles on Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 2:54 pm

I always  heaved my Silverwings on to the centre-stand when refuelling them.
I do the same with my Forza but with far less effort! Wink
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

I always use the center stand for fueling both the SWing and the Forza. Heck I even did with my Goldwing! It's just more stable imho.
Back to top Go down
AzKicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
AzKicker

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 4:33 pm

When on the road, I frequently fill the tank while sitting on the seat and holding the bike vertical.
I use the trip A odometer and reset it every tank fill-up so that I can try to fill up every 140 miles or so.
I can go further on a tank, but I have never run out of gas and that is more critical to me.
Back to top Go down
https://AzKicker.com
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 pm

I don't have to worry about that anymore with my trike. It's ALWAYS on the "Center Stand"...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

I doubt if I've ever used the side stand on motorcycles or maxi scooters when filling up. Neither have I sat on them to refuel either.

Before side stands were spring loaded or fitted with cut out switches, they were lethal. Anyway what's the point of filling up on the side stand, would you let a barman serve you by filling your beer glass on a slant, stop when it touches the rim, and then expect you to pay for a full pint.

If you have a tunnel bag fitted on a maxi, that has to be removed before you can open the filler cap, good for you if you're dexterous enough to do sitting on the scoot. I stopped using tunnel bags completely after all this clambering on and off with one fitted, then removing and refitting before clambering over it again to ride off.

Even worse was the lardass Burgman 650, in touring mode Mrs M had to climb off, I had to do the tank bag two step to get off, then haul the overweight lump onto it's centre stand. Then lift the left soft saddlebag out of the way so I could open the real fuel flap to poke the hose in.

You can pay by card at some pumps in the UK, usually you pay inside and pay at the counter. Some places have notices saying motorcyclists have to remove helmets before fuel is dispensed.

All this on and off stands for refuelling reminds me of a rather strange Silver Wing pic that was on here recently. The owner had removed the rear grab rails and rear rack. I still think it's strange and totally impractical, without the grab rails you're certainly not going to haul a 550 lbs maxi scooter onto it's centre stand, and you're severely limiting the amount of stuff you can carry. It's something I'd never consider doing, good luck to the owner though, he's obviously thought it through and if it works for him, good.
Back to top Go down
landisr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

As a follow up, 4 of us rode up into high country for an overnighter.  We rode the Devil's Highway. Very technical. With the PC still installed, the SW ran good, although I encountered a significant power loss up around 8,000 ft.  I attributed it to either the early version of FI or the PC trying to deal with the stock muffler.  Or both. At any rate, I recorded 541.3 miles total.  53.9 mpg avg.  I'll take it.

We encountered a lot of wildlife on this  trip.  Once I figure out how to embed some images, I will share.

Ron

mg.com/u/f15/20/56/13/19/20240411.jpg[/img][/url]
Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW 20240412
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW   Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Page 1 of 1