Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review

Go down 
+75
ken-z
surlybiker58
stonerolled
Atrick
paul.delo451
acworthpatrick
swingmike
SonnyO
tinman
Guy
EasyRider SilverWinger
RArch
jodders1
MarkB
toolboxjesse
DickO
LarryB
DaveR
SamHouston73
larryinseattle
JeffR_
kbcmdba
dnk2112
johnd
Dimond
john123
cjuzda
model28a
goldwinger
Skyman
The Scootist
JohnJ
hobbykim
Scooterian
kleikvold
Meldrew
GaryT
Winger61
tarmacburner2
midlifecrisis (Paul)
dickie
rogerscoot
martywinger
roadrunner
wis-rider
ajay
russcarver
Laker
jimjotel
Waspie
Windrider
clarinet
Opalsboy
billmc
DennisB
Okiebezer
ehaughn
crahar
MikeO
jdeereanton
billc.
edbancro
bigbird
ronjr009
buddy19520
trooth2u
trouble1100
thomphoto
wingnprayer
Tamjay
john grinsel
dspevack
honda_silver
tonylumps
JeffR
79 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Empty
PostSubject: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi,

I was given the opportunity to test the new Givi Adjustable Windshield for a review. They sent this to me on June 30th which was just a day after I spoke with the Givi representative. This will be a shorter review since I only put about 50 miles on it with my initial ride. But I did go on the interstate, state roads, and the city. And I also tested it out in the lowest, middle, and highest postions in all of roads.

Packaging

The windshield was very professionally packaged. There were 2 smaller boxes in 1 larger box and everything was put in where it would be very difficult to damage anything on the shield. And all of the parts needed were in there, although there really isn't much that is needed.

Pictures of Shield

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Entire11

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Sepera10

I removed my Givi Windshield that I cut down about 1 1/2". Measuring from the handlebar cover to the top of the Givi screen I cut down was 20 1/2" (measured from the Honda emblem on the handlebar cover). After I installed this Adjustable Givi at the highest position it measured 20 3/4", so it is about 1/4" of taller than the Givi that I took off.

The parts of the shield seem to be very sturdy and easy to use. Here are a couple of close up shots of the fasteners. I'm am calling them fasteners but Givi may refer to them by a different name.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Close_10

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Close_13

The Ride

I started the ride with the screen in it's highest position which allowed my eyes to be about 1" to 2" above the top of the screen. I started on the city street to ride out to the interstate about 1 1/2 miles. I merged onto the interstate and quickly got up to 65 mph (all speeds will be actual in this review) and I didn't notice any buffeting whatsoever. The top part of this windshield seems a bit narrower than the stock Givi shield but it seems a smoother ride without any turbulence at all. I think the gap between the screens really helps out to eliminate buffeting or back pressure. There was no back pressure that pushes your body or helmet forward at all. The single piece Givi shield that I removed would give a small bit of back pressure that would push your helmet or even your body forward a bit. But there was none of that with the new Givi Adjustable shield.

I rode up and down the highway in about 3 mile sections to try out the different height adjustments. I started out in the highest postion.

INTERSTATE

Highest Position

In the highest position it was a nice quiet ride like the single piece (original) Givi shield. But it seems to be a smoother ride since there is no turbulence at all. I ride with a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and when I raised my visor all the way up I didn't feel the need to have to wear glasses at all. Except for safty issues. I don't feel comfortable at all riding without some type of eye protection. But I wanted to test it out to see if glasses are needed. Well, they aren't. I felt a very small amount of wind/breeze but I think it was from some of the wind that came from the side or from around the shield.

I raised my hand up to see where how far the wind was being pushed up and it was at the top of my helmet. It seems that it pushes the air up about 4" over my eyes and gave absolutely no buffeting at all at 65 mph. I also tried to ride close behind semi-trucks and also to the side of them to see if I felt any of the "sailing" effect that I would get with the single piece Givi shield. Sometimes if the wind was right I would feel the wind catch the shield and give some turbulence or that "sailing" effect. Well, as much as I tried I couldn't get that effect with this new adjustable shield.

Middle Position

I then rode with the shield at the middle positon and I did find a bit more wind hitting my eyes but not much more than at the highest position. It was also pushing the wind to just an inch or two below my helmet but there was no buffeting at the middle position either. It seems to push the wind in a very friendly manner. I also didn't get any of the turbulence or buffeting either at the middle postion, even when trying to ride close to semi's.

Lowest Position

The lowest position would give me more wind, of course, but it was still a smooth kind of effect. Even though the lowest position is probably close to the height of the stock Honda screen it didn't seem to produce any buffeting, that would cause my helmet to be pushed around. The stock screen would push my helmet around pretty bad on the interstate but this Givi adjustable screen didn't do that.

As a side note: I'm 6'0" tall and when I sit on my SWing in my normal riding position my eye level is 31" from the seat. I have a longer torso than an average 6 footer so I was concerned that this adjustable shield may not be tall enough.

I have to say that this windshield on the interstate is a very nice shield that produces a nice smooth ride. There is no turbulence or buffeting at all, even when trying to ride as close to semi-trucks as I could to get that effect. I also didn't notice that "sailing" effect that I would get with the stock Givi or the XL Clearview that I had on at one time.

STATE ROAD

Highest Position

The state road that I road on had a speed limit of 45 mph and it was in very good condition with nice curves on it. I started out with the screen at the highest position and it was very smooth. I didn't really keep it at this height for very long at all. It was about 80-85 degrees there so I pulled over to adjust it to the middle position.

Middle Position

I pulled over and adjusted it to the middle position and rode about 5 miles this way and it is a very smooth ride too. Since the speed limit is only 45 mph it is really nice to have the option to adjust the screen. It felt like a very relaxed ride and gave more wind to my body which helped make the ride more enjoyable since I could stay cooler. I then pulled over to adjust it to the lowest position.

Lowest Position

I rode about another 5 miles with the screen in the lowest position and it was also a very nice ride. I think this is the height I will have it at when I ride on these types of roads at these speeds. When I would raise my visor I would feel more wind, of course, in my eyes but it wasn't alot. But it provided a nice breeze to my body and face and it still didn't produce any buffeting to my helmet/head. It was really a very nice ride that kept me cooler.

I also rode one part of my ride on a 5-6 mile stretch where the speed limit was anywhere from 15 mph to 45 mph due to the tight turns. I started the first 2 miles at the middle position and then dropped it down to the lowest position. With this type of ride it was very nice to be able to adjust the shield. Since the speed was slower, and it was hot out, this made the ride much more comfortable.

Adjusting the Screen:

As for adjusting the screen...it is very, very easy and quick. I would adjust it at stop lights or stop signs and it only takes about 5 seconds. It is just that easy. I wouldn't try to adjust this as you ride but I guess it would be possible, but not very safe. You really need to use 2 hands to do it quickly and safely.

Conclusion:

I know I only went on about a 50 mile ride but I have to say I like this new Givi adjustable screen more than the other screens I have had. I don't know if it is the "air-foil" or what, but the ride was very smooth and without any turbulence or buffeting. Even at the lowest heights I still didn't feel turbulence or buffeting. I know that there was more wind at my face at the lowest setting but the wind didn't push my helmet around. It is hard to explain but this shield seems to push the wind up a good amount of distance. When I had my Majesty I put a Laminar Lip on the Givi shield I had and it did help. I think that this shield gives that effect of the Laminar Lip but to a much better extent.

I will give additional updates but if I were in the process of buying an aftermarket screen this is the one that I would choose. I think that if you are a bit over 6' tall it will still do a good job for you. I'm not sure how it would do in the rain so I can't comment on that but it doesn't rain much out here in California.

I can say that when I am in the hills/mountains and on some nice curvy roads I will be keeping it down in the lowest positon, if it is warm out. It is really nice to have these options available to you when riding. The highest position is great on the interstate but I think I will be keeping it in the lowest or middle position in the city or out on my country rides.

Here are some more pictures:

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Close_10

This how the screen fits into the fastener.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Side_v10

This a side view of the screen at the highest level.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Pictur10

This is a picture at the lowest setting. My eyes are probably 5" over the top.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Pictur11

This is the screen at the highest level. My eyes are 1" to maybe 2" over the top.

I would like to thank Givi for giving me this opportunity to review this new shield of theirs. It really is a very nice shield and gives the rider the ability to adjust the screen as needed. If you have any questions please reply to this post and I will keep them in mind for when I give updates. I'm sure i forgot some things so please just respond and I will do my best to get you an answer, if I can. Thanks for reading.

"edited on July 5th"

I'm not sure who all sells these but I have seen them on

www.scootertrap.com and I know Matt is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by JeffR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Jeff i just mounted my Airflow, Like you said very well thought out. I will be trying it out on Sunday on a fairly good ride I also had a Givi standard and cut it down about 2.50" And the reason I bought the airflow was to try and eliminate neck strain.I have never had that problem before no matter what kind of bike I rode And your install picture of the standard shield works on the Airflow also. I just can't seem to upload a pictue to a post But there is one of the Airflow in my Album Tony
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:33 pm

I would be curious where the air flows behind the windshield for cooling in hot temperatures.

I would be curious where the air flows on the side of the windshield (arms, hands positioned on inner hand grip and outer hand grip for cold temperatures.

I am not sure it would be easy to track or identify in your moderate California weather. givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Icon_sunny

I get to consistently test the extremes riding year round ... and the windshield can make a huge difference from two season or four season riding.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Jeff,

Is there any visual distortion from using the dual screen setup?

Dan
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Dan,

I didn't notice any but will check for that next time I ride. But since I look over the top some, at the highest position, I don't look through the screen at all. But I will look down to the street to check for any distortion.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Givi adj windshield.   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 am

Nice review. I think at least 95% of experienced scooter riders are looking for buffeting free look over ride. There are those that don't know and look thru.

Pls follow up as the miles pile up.

I have ridden over 1.5 million miles since 1955---but never would have unless I found the look over/buffet free ride---Early spring 1959, Heinrich fairing/legshields/lap blanket for my BMW 51/3----really comfortable going down the road in all weathers.

Since 1990 I have had, all new, 4 Helix, Daelim 125 (wonderful in Korea), SilverWing 600, Burgman 400, Reflex (died at 23,000 when lady on cell phone ran it and me over) Yamaha TMAX (fast but hard to work on and very expensive to keep)-----But all of these, including SilverWing have the great buffeting problem----several back to back 500 days can drive you nuts. Funny older Vespas with right shield were comfortable. My HD ('66) factory sidecar outfit with winter windshield and tin legshields was almost as comfortable had the Heinrich combos. My Kawasaki Concours was buffeting king--Clearview with vent made livable to 70-75mph...too bad I lived in Germany at that time and we rode much faster.

I have tried Cee Baily(air up nose), Clearview which I have now on SilverWing but Lamar Lip from another project added (liveable only) GoldWing Vent breaks up neg pressure to degree, Givi (lots of cutting down so I could see)---So looking forward (and over) to new for US adj Givi shield.

I feel the buffeting is due to your nose being too far from tip of shield---I think 31" was mentioned----8-12" ideal-----new Givi I hope does great job of managing the air given the restrictions of this scooter design.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm

honda_silver wrote:
I would be curious where the air flows behind the windshield for cooling in hot temperatures.

I would be curious where the air flows on the side of the windshield (arms, hands positioned on inner hand grip and outer hand grip for cold temperatures.

I am not sure it would be easy to track or identify in your moderate California weather. givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Icon_sunny

I get to consistently test the extremes riding year round ... and the windshield can make a huge difference from two season or four season riding.

Bill,

For your first statement: The air really flows up behind the upper shield and basically goes straight up. This is like the Laminar Lip effect which probably pushes the air quite a bit higher than the top of the screen. It doesn't flow back to you though at the highest level to cool you though. At least as far as I could feel. But by bringing the upper section down some will allow air back to you much better.

For your second statement: It seems like the bottom part of the shield is just like the standard shield in terms of hand protection. I can't really say what this shield would be like in cold weather since it is warm out here now. I'm from Illinois and rode in the winter with naked bikes, so I may not be the person to ask about this one. It only gets in the low 40's, at most, here in the bay area, and I'm not a person that gets cold anyway. It doesn't feel like I'm getting more wind on my arms with this shield, but it was 80-85 degrees out so maybe I just didn't feel it.

I do know that if I was in Illinois now riding in the heat and humidity that I would at least have this shield for spring, summer, and fall. It was a very nice feeling with the upper part at the lowest level. It did keep me much cooler as far as I could tell. You do get more air at your chest level and such, but you don't get the helmet buffeting. I know I was only doing about 45-50 mph with the shield all the way down but I still didn't get that buffeting that I got with the stock screen. It is hard to describe the way you do get some air but not helmet buffeting though.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 1:47 pm

[quote="john grinsel"]Nice review. I think at least 95% of experienced scooter riders are looking for buffeting free look over ride. There are those that don't know and look thru.

I feel the buffeting is due to your nose being too far from tip of shield---I think 31" was mentioned----8-12" ideal-----new Givi I hope does great job of managing the air given the restrictions of this scooter design.

John Grinsel[/quote"]

John,

The 31" measurement I gave was to describe the height of my eyes to the sit. Some will say they are 6' tall with a 32" inseam but to me that doesn't tell how high someone sits in their seat. When I sit in my seat and measure up to my eyes, my eye level is 31" high. This way if others are curious as to how high the this airflow shield will be to their eyes would be to do the same. Measure their eye level about the seat, as they are seating in their riding position. I look about 1-2" above the screen at full height.

It is also difficult to desribe how I can get some air flow back to me but still not get the head buffeting. I just didn't feel any pressure that was moving my head around or pushing my head forward at all. I will keep posting as I ride more but so far, I feel this is a winner, at least for me. As I just posted in the previous post to Bill, it was a very comfortable ride when I had the top part all the way down when riding the 25-50 mph windy roads.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Dennis I have been riding with my Airflow for 2 days now I can't explain it. But I set it so I could look over it I did highway and back roads never had to change it The air blows over my helmet Yet I still feel a nice airflow around the cockpit and nothing pushing me forward At the distance I have it set at a normal windshield would blow my helmet off.I know this is an expensive windshield So all of the reviews would help alot. Tony
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm

JeffR wrote:

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Entire11

Acorrding to Givi the Airflow is 59 cm == 23.23 inches. I measured my Clearview XL (which provided great winter protection for my hands on inner grip), it was 31 inches wide ... which helps me and my passenger in colder months.

1) I wonder if there is or will be option for a wider top shield replacement for colder months

2) Another option that riders look for in the colder months is hand grip protection. They could even use the same technology to move the hand protection or use attachable/detachable technology.

If the windshield could resolve summer and winter conditions, it would easily be the primary windshield of choice.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Bill,

I will measure the total width of the bottom part of the shield and the top part too. I wasn't aware of any measurements that Givi gives since I really didn't look for them. But it seems that the bottom part of the Givi, that gives the handgrip protection, is about the same width as the standard Givi.... but I will check today.

(edited 7-5-10 at 7:42pm Pacific time)

Bill,

I just measured the 2 section for their width. The lower section, the widest part is for the hand protection, is 22 3/4". The upper section's widest point is 15". Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:24 am

JeffR -is this windshield on general sale, or is that a prototype you're testing?

This sounds exactly what I'm looking for. The ordinary Givi is too tall for me (I like to look over the screen) and it's a hassle to get someone to cut it down for me.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:22 am

http://www.givi.co.uk/Screens--spoilers/AIRFLOW/AF214

http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/product/12546/givi-af214-honda-silver-wing-400-600-2801-0929-airflow-windshield
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 am

Wonder what the deal is with most of the dealers saying "photo not available". How hard is it for Givi to furnish a photo of their product.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 am

thomphoto wrote:
Wonder what the deal is with most of the dealers saying "photo not available". How hard is it for Givi to furnish a photo of their product.

http://www.giviusa.com/Screens--spoilers/AIRFLOW/

They have all photos except for the SWing.
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am

It's there on the UK Givi site: http://www.givi.co.uk/Screens--spoilers/AIRFLOW/AF214
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Jeff i went on a nice long ride yesterday to try out my Airhawk seat pad Did not have to adjust the windshield. It was fine. But nice to know I could if I needed to .So I think it is a keeper for me Tony
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 pm

Adjustability..........

Ideally, you should be able to see over the shield without straining, yet be able to drop your head to look through the plastic if conditions warrant. You should be able to view the road clearly in your immediate path of travel (approximately two to four seconds or 100 feet ahead).

In the pictures below I have placed yellow caution tape just beyond the front of the house across the driveway at the 100' mark.

In the first picture the Givi is at its lowest setting with yours truly sitting in the proper riding position. In the second the screen is set at the highest. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam and the camera is at eye level.

The third is just a shot from the back of the scoot, everybody else shoots the front of the shield givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Icon_smile

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Picture

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Trouble,

How do you like the screen so far? I really like this and consider it my favorite one so far. For some reason the more I ride my SWing it just seems to ride a bit smoother for some reason. What other screens have you had on your SWing and how do you compare this screen to your others? I'm just curious.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:24 am

Thanks for the links to this shield guys. I've ordered one from Helmet Head and I can't wait for it to arrive.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:38 pm

This is an ingenious design that makes a lot of sense. It has small panels which prevents flexing. It directs the full air blast over and around your head and hand grips but directs a nice unintimidating breeze to those areas. It works well for me (5' 6") at the lowest setting which places the lowest part of the air blast above the very top of my helmet. I am so glad I bought it! It does what a short or tall shield alone cannot do.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 pm

The only other shield that I’ve had on the S wing is the stocker. The Givi gives a nice "unintimidating breeze" (thanks trooth2u, well put!) this breeze is the same at 20mph or 70mph and seems to come from the sides of the bottom or stationary part of the shield. The only other windshield I have owned that quieter and calmer was the Tulsa Tall on a GL1500.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Received my Givi Airflow today from Helmet Head for $215.09 including shipping, and it took about 15 minutes to install since I had installed windshields several times before. I took a 30 minute test ride starting at the lowest setting and working my way up about 2 inches at a time to the top setting. I found that the middle setting seemed to work best for me, and allowed me to see over the screen. I'm 5'9". I have had the regular Givi shield, and the Clearview Small, Medium, and Large, trying to find the perfect one. I have been using the Medium lately, but with my full face helmet with the shield down, I was getting a lot of noise. With the Airflow, the noise was significantly reduced, if not eliminated. There was a pretty stiff side wind while I was riding, so I will do another test when it is calmer. My overall opinion is that I think this is going to be my final screen. About the only downside to this screen is when you have it up at the highest setting and looking thru, there is a little distortion.
Thanks Jeff for the excellent review of this product, and this fantastic forum. (So far, I haven't rated being kicked off the "other" site)
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:26 pm

thomphoto,

It is quite isn't it? The more I ride with this new screen the more I notice how it is quieter and it also seems to make the SWing a smoother ride. It seems to manage all the air that is hitting this screen in a much nicer manner. It is hard to describe it sometimes but the front end doesn't appear to be effected by the wind as much. It is my favorite screen now too, and for me to change to another screen it would have to be an awfully nice one. Givi really got this screen right in my opinion, and it appears to be a big "winner" for me.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment for the site, but it is the members that make it good not me. But thanks.
Back to top Go down
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 pm

I agree, having daily ridden with it for 2 weeks now. It lets a ton of nice breezy but not harsh rough air to hit your head. Just the right amount. A taller screen would allow too little air, and a shorter one, too rough air. This is perfect! I was riding in 90 degree temps the other day and it wasn't bad with the breeze. If I get a chance to encounter a heavy rain storm I'll report on it. In off and on light rain I found I was able to raise and lower the screen with one hand while riding.
Jules
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Have any of you guys that have used the new GIVI screen gone straight from the stock screen to the new GIVI, or did you go from an aftermarket screen to the new GIVI?

I find the stock screen with a Laminar Lip to be pretty quiet up to about 75 mph. After that, I get a little whistling noise between the LL and the screen because I have the LL attached so high. When I had the cut-down-two-inches GIVI screen on, it was definitely noisier than the stock w/ LL.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Philip,

I started out, of course, with the stock screen, and then went to the XL Clearview with the vent, and then to the standard Givi screen. The Clearview was good until I hit interstate speeds and then it would flex really bad. There were only a couple of us where that happened but I hear that Clearview did start to "not" sell the XL with a vent now.

This airflow works kind of like a big Laminar Lip. It will push the air up with a lot of force and that air pushes the air that is wanting to come over the screen. I had the Laminar Lip on my Givi when I had my Majesty and it worked good. I just think that this screen seems to be a big quieter than the Givi and I think it is because it manages the air so much better. Maybe others will chime in what have the Airflow and had other screens too. The stock screen drove me nuts and I hated it since it would almost rip my head off when going at interstate speeds.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:35 pm

I tried this style of windshield out on a Honda NT 700. Loved It! Now Givi comes out with one for a Swing. Why do they wait till after I shell out for a regular GIVI? This windshield seems to give the best of both worlds and its stylish to. Maybe one day. I did do one thing to make changing out the windshields quick and painless. I cut the brackets off of the front fairing piece that covers the windshield so that onlythe screws are holding it in. No more fussing with trying to pop it off. I can now change my windshields in 5 minutes. The Givi goes on in the fall and stays on in the spring and the stock shield comes on in late spring and stays on until the fall when it starts cooling off. I guess this is the next best thing to that new adjustable windshield.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:12 pm

JeffR, thanks for the follow up. I had just kind of wondered if the stock shield with LL was as quiet as the new GIVI. Sounds like you feel it is close, but the new GIVI is quieter.

I am doing the same thing as Ron is doing - GIVI in the cool/cold weather and the stocker in the warm weather, both with the LL. I find the LL makes a big difference on both screens. I'll probably continue with this system until one of the screens breaks, only for cost reasons (read: too cheap to pay for another screen).
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Bigbird,

Honestly, I've not noticed any kind of buzzing or noise associated with cutting off the tabs. I just got so sick and tired of trying to fuss with getting it off that I simply decided it was time for the tabs to go. The screws do a great job of holding it in place. I think you should be fine if you cut the tabs off. You will be a whole lot happier and less frustrated come time to change the windshields. Even if by chance you do happen to notice any noise or vibration, you could always use something to "dampen" it such as adhesive backed foam or something similar. But I think you'll be fine though as I've never had any noise problems.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 pm

I never thought about cutting off the tabs but I can usually get mine off in just a few seconds though. I lost my screws somewhere and only the tabs are holding it in and it doesn't rattle either.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:33 am

I'm delighted to say that my windshield arrived today from the US - it's taken about 10 days but I've got it at last.

Looking at the instructions (which are barely readable!!), it looks as if I've got to drill some holes before fitting. Did you guys drill anything? I don't remember reading anything about that in the 'pictorial instructions' or your posts.

If that's going to be the case, I may take it to my dealer to get it fitted - I don't trust myself to do it !!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 7:04 am

Laurie you are right the instructions have a lot to be desired.The reason for drilling the holes is for the 2 mounting brackets A good number of Swing owners do not mount the brackets, So no drilling and it has been fine. Now what I found out from all the good info. here Is that Givi and Honda had a love affair at one time The Swing was made to except a lot of givi after market Acc.So when you mount the brackets with existing bolts There is a place for 2 more bolts on each side If you drill about 3mm deep at these locations just thru the plastic there are 2 capture nuts under the plastic I used a drill bit slightly larger then the bolts that came with your shield. Reason you get confused is the instructions don't tell you why you are drilling and that the nuts are already there. I mounted the 2 brackets I think it makes it a lot stiffer If you are still a little leary about doing it you can take it to a Dealer But they might know less than you Tony
Back to top Go down
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:32 am

I just mounted it like you would mount a stock shield...didn't drill any holes and it's fine and very stable...less flexing than any shield I've used before.
Jules...Warrenton, VA
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am

Laurie,

I tried to use the metal strip but just put it aside since I didn't use it on the standard Givi shield either. And like Tony said, the dealers sometimes don't know anymore than the average SWing owner so you may want to try to do this yourself. There is a "Pictorial" that should help you out in the "Pictorial" section. It should only take about 30 mins the first time you do this.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 am

Well, I managed to fit the screen yesterday. It took me about 45 minutes without losing any screws, washers, grommets or breaking any tabs!!

Took it out for a test run and, my goodness, what a difference it's made. It's quieter (I can hear myself think!), not much buffeting at all and even in the slip-stream of trucks and cars it felt much more stable.

What I love about it is that it can be adjusted by millimetres. I was afraid that it only had 3 settings (bottom, middle, top), so I have it set exactly where I want it.

Thanks again for all your tips and help guys. Couldn't have done it without you!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:16 am

For those of you that did not drill the plastic I'm here to tell you it's not a big deal.

When you mount the stainless plate without the shield in place and drill thru the plastic all you are doing is exposing a pre drilled / threaded boss in the steel frame that holds the entire front fairing to the scoot.

Light pressure on the drill and the plate for a guide will put you on the mark to use that third mounting point.

BTW .... Stress cracks in the future or miss drilled holes now will set you back the price of a new front nose piece .... $320. to $370. depending on the year and or color.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 5:22 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
For those of you that did not drill the plastic I'm here to tell you it's not a big deal.

I second that.

Also, it's not necessary, but if you want to have a better view, I seem to remember that that black plastic piece (the one that sort of forms the dash/top of inst. cluster) comes out with just a couple screws and clips, and then you can see the nut and exactly what you're drilling into.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Where is a good place to buy this windshield? thanks billc. and what is a good price?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 6:40 am

Twisted Throttle has them - it seems the standard price is $215 and change.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
trooth2u
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trooth2u

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:51 am

I bought mine at Helmet Head for $215.09 free shipping, arrived quickly.
See http://tinyurl.com/2aflmtf
Best,
Jules
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Bigbird, how obvious is it where to drill the two holes?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Ta muchly!
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm

On mine, I think I also remember some sort of circular markings in the tupperware which seemed to indicate where the holes need to be drilled. I don't know if that's why they were there or if it's something else from the manufacturing process. Has anyone else noticed this?
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:45 pm

To respond to Bigbird about being in a hurry.And also DO NOT PUT ANY IN YOUR MOUTH unless it is small enough to pass or you have extras. Don't even ask. Tony
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:45 pm

The National Enquirer said inquiring minds want to know. They would like a full write up plus pictures, said it should make the front page next to Elvis sighting in Afghanistan.
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review Lol
Craig
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Well lets just say I am glad I had a spare Tony
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 am

billc. wrote:
Where is a good place to buy this windshield? thanks billc. and what is a good price?

$215.09 with free shipping http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/product/12546/givi-af214-honda-silver-wing-400-600-2801-0929-airflow-windshield
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next