Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review

Go down 
+75
ken-z
surlybiker58
stonerolled
Atrick
paul.delo451
acworthpatrick
swingmike
SonnyO
tinman
Guy
EasyRider SilverWinger
RArch
jodders1
MarkB
toolboxjesse
DickO
LarryB
DaveR
SamHouston73
larryinseattle
JeffR_
kbcmdba
dnk2112
johnd
Dimond
john123
cjuzda
model28a
goldwinger
Skyman
The Scootist
JohnJ
hobbykim
Scooterian
kleikvold
Meldrew
GaryT
Winger61
tarmacburner2
midlifecrisis (Paul)
dickie
rogerscoot
martywinger
roadrunner
wis-rider
ajay
russcarver
Laker
jimjotel
Waspie
Windrider
clarinet
Opalsboy
billmc
DennisB
Okiebezer
ehaughn
crahar
MikeO
jdeereanton
billc.
edbancro
bigbird
ronjr009
buddy19520
trooth2u
trouble1100
thomphoto
wingnprayer
Tamjay
john grinsel
dspevack
honda_silver
tonylumps
JeffR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I was given the opportunity to test the new Givi Adjustable Windshield for a review. They sent this to me on June 30th which was just a day after I spoke with the Givi representative. This will be a shorter review since I only put about 50 miles on it with my initial ride. But I did go on the interstate, state roads, and the city. And I also tested it out in the lowest, middle, and highest postions in all of roads.

Packaging

The windshield was very professionally packaged. There were 2 smaller boxes in 1 larger box and everything was put in where it would be very difficult to damage anything on the shield. And all of the parts needed were in there, although there really isn't much that is needed.

Pictures of Shield

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Entire11

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Sepera10

I removed my Givi Windshield that I cut down about 1 1/2". Measuring from the handlebar cover to the top of the Givi screen I cut down was 20 1/2" (measured from the Honda emblem on the handlebar cover). After I installed this Adjustable Givi at the highest position it measured 20 3/4", so it is about 1/4" of taller than the Givi that I took off.

The parts of the shield seem to be very sturdy and easy to use. Here are a couple of close up shots of the fasteners. I'm am calling them fasteners but Givi may refer to them by a different name.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Close_10

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Close_13

The Ride

I started the ride with the screen in it's highest position which allowed my eyes to be about 1" to 2" above the top of the screen. I started on the city street to ride out to the interstate about 1 1/2 miles. I merged onto the interstate and quickly got up to 65 mph (all speeds will be actual in this review) and I didn't notice any buffeting whatsoever. The top part of this windshield seems a bit narrower than the stock Givi shield but it seems a smoother ride without any turbulence at all. I think the gap between the screens really helps out to eliminate buffeting or back pressure. There was no back pressure that pushes your body or helmet forward at all. The single piece Givi shield that I removed would give a small bit of back pressure that would push your helmet or even your body forward a bit. But there was none of that with the new Givi Adjustable shield.

I rode up and down the highway in about 3 mile sections to try out the different height adjustments. I started out in the highest postion.

INTERSTATE

Highest Position

In the highest position it was a nice quiet ride like the single piece (original) Givi shield. But it seems to be a smoother ride since there is no turbulence at all. I ride with a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and when I raised my visor all the way up I didn't feel the need to have to wear glasses at all. Except for safty issues. I don't feel comfortable at all riding without some type of eye protection. But I wanted to test it out to see if glasses are needed. Well, they aren't. I felt a very small amount of wind/breeze but I think it was from some of the wind that came from the side or from around the shield.

I raised my hand up to see where how far the wind was being pushed up and it was at the top of my helmet. It seems that it pushes the air up about 4" over my eyes and gave absolutely no buffeting at all at 65 mph. I also tried to ride close behind semi-trucks and also to the side of them to see if I felt any of the "sailing" effect that I would get with the single piece Givi shield. Sometimes if the wind was right I would feel the wind catch the shield and give some turbulence or that "sailing" effect. Well, as much as I tried I couldn't get that effect with this new adjustable shield.

Middle Position

I then rode with the shield at the middle positon and I did find a bit more wind hitting my eyes but not much more than at the highest position. It was also pushing the wind to just an inch or two below my helmet but there was no buffeting at the middle position either. It seems to push the wind in a very friendly manner. I also didn't get any of the turbulence or buffeting either at the middle postion, even when trying to ride close to semi's.

Lowest Position

The lowest position would give me more wind, of course, but it was still a smooth kind of effect. Even though the lowest position is probably close to the height of the stock Honda screen it didn't seem to produce any buffeting, that would cause my helmet to be pushed around. The stock screen would push my helmet around pretty bad on the interstate but this Givi adjustable screen didn't do that.

As a side note: I'm 6'0" tall and when I sit on my SWing in my normal riding position my eye level is 31" from the seat. I have a longer torso than an average 6 footer so I was concerned that this adjustable shield may not be tall enough.

I have to say that this windshield on the interstate is a very nice shield that produces a nice smooth ride. There is no turbulence or buffeting at all, even when trying to ride as close to semi-trucks as I could to get that effect. I also didn't notice that "sailing" effect that I would get with the stock Givi or the XL Clearview that I had on at one time.

STATE ROAD

Highest Position

The state road that I road on had a speed limit of 45 mph and it was in very good condition with nice curves on it. I started out with the screen at the highest position and it was very smooth. I didn't really keep it at this height for very long at all. It was about 80-85 degrees there so I pulled over to adjust it to the middle position.

Middle Position

I pulled over and adjusted it to the middle position and rode about 5 miles this way and it is a very smooth ride too. Since the speed limit is only 45 mph it is really nice to have the option to adjust the screen. It felt like a very relaxed ride and gave more wind to my body which helped make the ride more enjoyable since I could stay cooler. I then pulled over to adjust it to the lowest position.

Lowest Position

I rode about another 5 miles with the screen in the lowest position and it was also a very nice ride. I think this is the height I will have it at when I ride on these types of roads at these speeds. When I would raise my visor I would feel more wind, of course, in my eyes but it wasn't alot. But it provided a nice breeze to my body and face and it still didn't produce any buffeting to my helmet/head. It was really a very nice ride that kept me cooler.

I also rode one part of my ride on a 5-6 mile stretch where the speed limit was anywhere from 15 mph to 45 mph due to the tight turns. I started the first 2 miles at the middle position and then dropped it down to the lowest position. With this type of ride it was very nice to be able to adjust the shield. Since the speed was slower, and it was hot out, this made the ride much more comfortable.

Adjusting the Screen:

As for adjusting the screen...it is very, very easy and quick. I would adjust it at stop lights or stop signs and it only takes about 5 seconds. It is just that easy. I wouldn't try to adjust this as you ride but I guess it would be possible, but not very safe. You really need to use 2 hands to do it quickly and safely.

Conclusion:

I know I only went on about a 50 mile ride but I have to say I like this new Givi adjustable screen more than the other screens I have had. I don't know if it is the "air-foil" or what, but the ride was very smooth and without any turbulence or buffeting. Even at the lowest heights I still didn't feel turbulence or buffeting. I know that there was more wind at my face at the lowest setting but the wind didn't push my helmet around. It is hard to explain but this shield seems to push the wind up a good amount of distance. When I had my Majesty I put a Laminar Lip on the Givi shield I had and it did help. I think that this shield gives that effect of the Laminar Lip but to a much better extent.

I will give additional updates but if I were in the process of buying an aftermarket screen this is the one that I would choose. I think that if you are a bit over 6' tall it will still do a good job for you. I'm not sure how it would do in the rain so I can't comment on that but it doesn't rain much out here in California.

I can say that when I am in the hills/mountains and on some nice curvy roads I will be keeping it down in the lowest positon, if it is warm out. It is really nice to have these options available to you when riding. The highest position is great on the interstate but I think I will be keeping it in the lowest or middle position in the city or out on my country rides.

Here are some more pictures:

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Close_10

This how the screen fits into the fastener.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Side_v10

This a side view of the screen at the highest level.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Pictur10

This is a picture at the lowest setting. My eyes are probably 5" over the top.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 Pictur11

This is the screen at the highest level. My eyes are 1" to maybe 2" over the top.

I would like to thank Givi for giving me this opportunity to review this new shield of theirs. It really is a very nice shield and gives the rider the ability to adjust the screen as needed. If you have any questions please reply to this post and I will keep them in mind for when I give updates. I'm sure i forgot some things so please just respond and I will do my best to get you an answer, if I can. Thanks for reading.

"edited on July 5th"

I'm not sure who all sells these but I have seen them on

www.scootertrap.com and I know Matt is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by JeffR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
midlifecrisis (Paul)
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
midlifecrisis (Paul)

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Waspie wrote:
Blimey Paul are you trying to keep Givi going on your own? Laughing

Looks nice, bike,screen the works. (Just a shame you tax disc is upside down or is it a plot to make life more awkward for plod!!!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

I already had the top box from the Divvy so had to get the moiunt for it.

Will leave the RFL as it is, being ex-plod i would find it hard to find a reason to make a serious offence out of it Smile
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Paul, see you have your camera mounted on handlebar mount. have you ridden with it there for long. taken any videos?
regards
roger
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Waspie wrote:

(Just a shame you tax disc is upside down or is it a plot to make life more awkward for plod!!!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

My tax disc rotates on it's own in the holder when I'm riding, 'cos it's not a tight fit.
(Unless something spooky's going on in the garage!! affraid )
Back to top Go down
midlifecrisis (Paul)
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
midlifecrisis (Paul)

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:31 pm

rogerscoot wrote:
Hi Paul, see you have your camera mounted on handlebar mount. have you ridden with it there for long. taken any videos?
regards
roger

Hi Roger

No not yet, I keep moving it as on full lock the mount it keeps catching the screen, when i find the best position I will post a video.

I am send you an email regarding other matters...

Paul
Back to top Go down
midlifecrisis (Paul)
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
midlifecrisis (Paul)

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Winger61 wrote:
Waspie wrote:

(Just a shame you tax disc is upside down or is it a plot to make life more awkward for plod!!!!! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

My tax disc rotates on it's own in the holder when I'm riding, 'cos it's not a tight fit.
(Unless something spooky's going on in the garage!! affraid )

I will have to put some CCTV in the garage to see id anything untoward is going on alien beamed up
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi all........I'm new to this forum. I live in IL. a farmer & purchased my 07 swing 4/7/11. I'm in the process of getting my license so haven't been on it much. I did order my AF214 airflow today. I'm not much of a typer but I do like to read everyones post.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 12:00 am

Welcome Gary,

Hope you like the forum and since you ordered your Givi you should go to the "Pictorials" section and look at the windshield Pictorial. You can install it yourself. Where do you live in Illinois? I used to live up north on the border of Wis. and then in Champaign. I hope you will be active here and you can create your own folder in the "Album" section so you can put pics there. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 6:46 am

Jeffr, I live in Marshall along I-70 east of Terre Haute IN. I checked out the pictorials looks like maybe I could handle this, with my wife watching over my shoulder. lol

Should have it by next Wed. With all the rain we are having should have time to mount it . Hope I like it !
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:21 am

You will have an excuse to go for a number of rides with the screen set at different heights.
Even longer rides if you tell the wife the adjustment must be done in the garage!

I haven't found the optimum position for mine yet.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:35 am

Gary wrote:
I checked out the pictorials looks like maybe I could handle this, with my wife watching over my shoulder. lol

Should have it by next Wed. With all the rain we are having should have time to mount it . Hope I like it !

Hi Gary,
Maybe you should get your wife to do it with you watching over her shoulder, then if it goes wrong it's her fault! Smile
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:43 am

Meldrew wrote:
Gary wrote:
I checked out the pictorials looks like maybe I could handle this, with my wife watching over my shoulder. lol

Hi Gary,
Maybe you should get your wife to do it with you watching over her shoulder, then if it goes wrong it's her fault! Smile

Meldrew............Never thought of that ! Good idea ! I'll bring that up today if I catch her in a good mood. What a Face
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: shield fasteners   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 pm

I unwrapped my Givi airflow and slide the top shield down in the fasteners. It went down about 2" then got tight. So do I just unloosen the locknut alittle to give it more space to fit ? Or am I just not holding my mouth right . Thought I better ask before I put the wrench on it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Gary,

Were the fastners pulled all the way out? It should just slide up and down if the fastners are pulled all the way out which would put them at a 90 degree angle to the windshield. I will look at mine to see if they can be loosened and get back to you tomorrow, or possibly tonight.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 6:55 am

Also make sure you don't try to adjust the shield while riding, it will fly off. Don't ask me how I know.

Wendell
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 am

I checked again the fasteners are all the way up I would call it. Still only slides down about 2". I'll try loosening the fasteners after while.
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm

I loosened the lock nuts up to where they are almost flush. Now the top shield slides up & down easily & still locks tight.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Gary,

Glad you are able to lower and raise it better now. How do you like it so far? I think it is a great screen but I live in California where it doesn't really get cold. I'm not sure how the protection is when it is around freezing since it never gets that cold here. But if the temps are in the mid 40's or higher it does great for me.
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 pm

As soon as I get it mounted I"ll know more about it. I do like the looks of it though.

Not going to be very good riding weather ( rain ) here for the next 5 days. Bummer !! Darn poor corn planting weather too.
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks to Jeff & Big bird I got the airflow & metal braces mounted this morning.

I went for a little spin to see what it would do. Worked great kept the wind off my face & my eyes didn't water. But I did get wet ( rain ) before returning home. Thanks again for the help !!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:15 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Gary,

Congrats on the new shield. And you can thank Terry (bigbird) for the metal brace info. I didn't mount it on mine and it hasn't blown off yet. I'm not sure why bigbird used his braces since he only rides it to the end of his driveway to get the mail. lol
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 5:56 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kleikvold
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm

I purchased the Givi Airflow this spring and put in on my 2002 Swing. I really enjoy the windshield. It is quiet to sit behind while driving. Plus, when it is cold, the air doesn't seem to penetrate my hands nearly as much with this windshield. I agree with JeffR's review on the windshield. I won't go back.

Thanks the time for doing your review Jeff. It was the tipping point for me to purchase one.

Thanks,

Kurt.
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Ok, after reading all 16 pages of reviews, I just ordered the Airflow. I currently have the x-large Clearview which I look through. It's an OK shield but I don't like looking through it in the rain. I'm a little concerned about drilling holes in the tupperware but I guess I'll figure it out.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Yes - put the brackets on or just offer them up to spot the holes and as bigbird says the drill will find the bosses.
Don't press hard!
Back to top Go down
hobbykim
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:21 am

Hi to everyone.I'm new in this forum but I had been own silverwing over two year,My wing 2008.after I read about this Givi wind shield,I just order today.I had tall Givi wiend shield but I did not use it because to tall for me.Thank for good new about this wind shield.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 5:28 am

Hello and welcome to the very best Silverwing forum! cheers
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 1:14 pm

I replaced my X-large Clearview (no vent) with the Airflow. As I expected there is little more wind noise with the new shield. The air pocket is collapsing into the side of my helmet (a little). What I didn't expect was a better riding SWing. The bike itself is behaving better without that sail-like screen catching every gust. If anyone is interested in buying my Clearview, I'll sell it cheap. The Clearview is a definite improvement over the stock shield (which is the worst feature on the bike) --Scott
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Scooterian wrote:
I replaced my X-large Clearview (no vent) with the Airflow.

Scooterian wrote:
If anyone is interested in buying my Clearview, I'll sell it cheap.

If you ride much in the very cold weather, the Clearview is much wider than then Givi Airflow. I wonder if the Airflow would be much colder and less protective ... so it may also depend on your gear and/or heated gear.
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 4:58 pm

That's true. There is definitely less protection but I only ride in the warm months.
Back to top Go down
JohnJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Well - Airflow arrived today - fitted this evening after much pre-reading of this thread. Quick spin and I believe it is the first time I have heard the engine when the bike is going faster that about 10mph.

Very different indeed. I managed to naff up one hole so it is held with 5 screws and the metal brackets were awkward - but I think I might have knackered a bit of thread with the drill - apart from that looking forward to a decnt run. Thanks to all on here.
John
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am

Jeff:
Thanks for the great review. The airflow windscreen sounds like it is very well designed. I may need to look into adding one to my bike at some point.
DCC
Back to top Go down
Skyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:00 am

Make it one more convert! I just installed my Givi Airflow and all I can say is WOW! what a difference from the stock windshield. I just took a short ride but as soon as I'm done here it's off again. Thank you all for helping with the decision to purchase and the install instructions. Like Jeff I choose not to install the metal braces, no drilling holes. :-)
Back to top Go down
goldwinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
goldwinger

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Just my opinion, but companies like Givi don't provide "extras" for fun. I'm sure after testing, they found that the metal braces were neccessary, otherwise they wouldn't bother supplying them. I fitted mine. (very easy to drill and fit)

Ian
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:31 pm

"Just my opinion, but companies like Givi don't provide "extras" for fun. I'm sure after testing, they found that the metal braces were neccessary, otherwise they wouldn't bother supplying them. I fitted mine. (very easy to drill and fit)"
+1
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:06 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:39 pm

bigbird wrote:
Skyman wrote:
Like Jeff I choose not to install the metal braces, no drilling holes. :-)

If you're afraid of drilling 2 small holes through the hidden tupperware, don't be. Otherwise down the road you'll be looking at stress cracks in the hidden tupperware from the GIVI's flexing. That big moveable screen was never designed to mount to the stock Honda screen mounts.

Agree regards the drilling holes.

I mean, it's not as if you are actually drilling holes, more removing the cap of material covering the tapped nuts!!! You can remove the covering without a mechanical drill, simply use a drill bit in your hand and twist.

Me personally, I think that the metal brackets are there for a purpose, for the amount of effort involved it really is worth the few seconds of time fitting them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Skyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Ok after reading the reply's I will revisit the decision not to use the metal braces. I keep them of course and have them in the box the windshield came in along with the stock windshield. I have found one position for the windshield that works great for me. I have not needed to change the height at all. Here in Georgia it has been HOT and this is from a guy coming from Florida so my riding the scoot has suffered as it is miserable out. I know most of the US is in the same boat. I guess it is a good time to get the parts out of storage and put the braces on. I did tighten the 10mm nuts when I put the windshield on just to the point that it takes two hands to slide the shield up and down.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Bit the bullet and ordered it   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 10:45 pm

After reading this over, I finally decided to order this - tired of getting beat up by buffeting at high speeds. Thanks to all the great instructions here, I'm pretty confident about the install. Without this great forum, I doubt I would have been convinced to order and install it. Should be here in a week or so. Once I get it installed, I'll write up my comments as well. It will be interesting to see how the bike handles in a high cross wind with this shield.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 pm

x

Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 6:51 pm

No, I checked their web site from the URL you provided in the thread and they don't have it or any other GIVI stuff listed. Got it from 2nd Gear on ebay.ca. I think they're in Calgary so it worked out ok. They had 3 in stock and shipped via UPS the same day I ordered it. Price was about $205 + $18 shipping plus 5% for good old GST.

Chris

bigbird wrote:
Chris, did you order from Tony at Blue Streak Racing in Embro, ON?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 6:56 pm

x

Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 pm

I'll definitely check him out next time. I just figured since there was nothing like that on the site he wasn't dealing with them any more. Thanks

bigbird wrote:
cjuzda wrote:
No, I checked their web site from the URL you provided in the thread and they don't have it or any other GIVI stuff listed. Got it from 2nd Gear on ebay.ca. I think they're in Calgary so it worked out ok. They had 3 in stock and shipped via UPS the same day I ordered it. Price was about $205 + $18 shipping plus 5% for good old GST.
Chris

Next time try Tony at www.bluestreakracing.ca
He only lists a small fraction of gear on his website. He can get most anything from anywhere, often cheaper than US prices. I got all my GIVI stuff from him.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Installed!   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Can't say it was super easy. I think it's just that you don't want to screw up a $200 windshield. I had a problem with the screw going in to one of the bosses where I drilled out the plastic, almost like it was cross threaded so it sort of went in at an angle but tightened it up ok anyway. Also used the original honda big headed screw and put the spacer washer on it behind the steel plate, which seemed to make the plate go on with no distortion. So it's all good - will test it tomorrow.

One thing I noticed that though the garnish clipped in fine and all the screws are tight, the rubber seal touching the windshield is not in tight contact at the very frint, almost as though the GIVI shield contour is not exactly the same as the stock one the gap is extremely small, not really obvious at all, you really have to look to see it. I'm guessing that this shouldn't cause a problem if water gets in there as there is nothing behind it anyway, correct?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:13 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks bigbird, if you're not worried, I'm sure not going to worry about it either Smile

bigbird wrote:
cjuzda wrote:

One thing I noticed that though the garnish clipped in fine and all the screws are tight, the rubber seal touching the windshield is not in tight contact at the very frint, almost as though the GIVI shield contour is not exactly the same as the stock one the gap is extremely small, not really obvious at all, you really have to look to see it. I'm guessing that this shouldn't cause a problem if water gets in there as there is nothing behind it anyway, correct?

Mine installed exactly the same. I'm not worried.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Anybody have a caution sticker on their Airflow re sun?   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Before I bought and installed mine today, I didn't see anything in the thread regarding a sticker I had on mine that indicates not to leave your bike in the sun on hot days with the sun shining on the back of the screen or it could be damaged. Any comments on this? Seems a little strange that this could cause damage.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next