Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review

Go down 
+75
ken-z
surlybiker58
stonerolled
Atrick
paul.delo451
acworthpatrick
swingmike
SonnyO
tinman
Guy
EasyRider SilverWinger
RArch
jodders1
MarkB
toolboxjesse
DickO
LarryB
DaveR
SamHouston73
larryinseattle
JeffR_
kbcmdba
dnk2112
johnd
Dimond
john123
cjuzda
model28a
goldwinger
Skyman
The Scootist
JohnJ
hobbykim
Scooterian
kleikvold
Meldrew
GaryT
Winger61
tarmacburner2
midlifecrisis (Paul)
dickie
rogerscoot
martywinger
roadrunner
wis-rider
ajay
russcarver
Laker
jimjotel
Waspie
Windrider
clarinet
Opalsboy
billmc
DennisB
Okiebezer
ehaughn
crahar
MikeO
jdeereanton
billc.
edbancro
bigbird
ronjr009
buddy19520
trooth2u
trouble1100
thomphoto
wingnprayer
Tamjay
john grinsel
dspevack
honda_silver
tonylumps
JeffR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I was given the opportunity to test the new Givi Adjustable Windshield for a review. They sent this to me on June 30th which was just a day after I spoke with the Givi representative. This will be a shorter review since I only put about 50 miles on it with my initial ride. But I did go on the interstate, state roads, and the city. And I also tested it out in the lowest, middle, and highest postions in all of roads.

Packaging

The windshield was very professionally packaged. There were 2 smaller boxes in 1 larger box and everything was put in where it would be very difficult to damage anything on the shield. And all of the parts needed were in there, although there really isn't much that is needed.

Pictures of Shield

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Entire11

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Sepera10

I removed my Givi Windshield that I cut down about 1 1/2". Measuring from the handlebar cover to the top of the Givi screen I cut down was 20 1/2" (measured from the Honda emblem on the handlebar cover). After I installed this Adjustable Givi at the highest position it measured 20 3/4", so it is about 1/4" of taller than the Givi that I took off.

The parts of the shield seem to be very sturdy and easy to use. Here are a couple of close up shots of the fasteners. I'm am calling them fasteners but Givi may refer to them by a different name.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Close_10

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Close_13

The Ride

I started the ride with the screen in it's highest position which allowed my eyes to be about 1" to 2" above the top of the screen. I started on the city street to ride out to the interstate about 1 1/2 miles. I merged onto the interstate and quickly got up to 65 mph (all speeds will be actual in this review) and I didn't notice any buffeting whatsoever. The top part of this windshield seems a bit narrower than the stock Givi shield but it seems a smoother ride without any turbulence at all. I think the gap between the screens really helps out to eliminate buffeting or back pressure. There was no back pressure that pushes your body or helmet forward at all. The single piece Givi shield that I removed would give a small bit of back pressure that would push your helmet or even your body forward a bit. But there was none of that with the new Givi Adjustable shield.

I rode up and down the highway in about 3 mile sections to try out the different height adjustments. I started out in the highest postion.

INTERSTATE

Highest Position

In the highest position it was a nice quiet ride like the single piece (original) Givi shield. But it seems to be a smoother ride since there is no turbulence at all. I ride with a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and when I raised my visor all the way up I didn't feel the need to have to wear glasses at all. Except for safty issues. I don't feel comfortable at all riding without some type of eye protection. But I wanted to test it out to see if glasses are needed. Well, they aren't. I felt a very small amount of wind/breeze but I think it was from some of the wind that came from the side or from around the shield.

I raised my hand up to see where how far the wind was being pushed up and it was at the top of my helmet. It seems that it pushes the air up about 4" over my eyes and gave absolutely no buffeting at all at 65 mph. I also tried to ride close behind semi-trucks and also to the side of them to see if I felt any of the "sailing" effect that I would get with the single piece Givi shield. Sometimes if the wind was right I would feel the wind catch the shield and give some turbulence or that "sailing" effect. Well, as much as I tried I couldn't get that effect with this new adjustable shield.

Middle Position

I then rode with the shield at the middle positon and I did find a bit more wind hitting my eyes but not much more than at the highest position. It was also pushing the wind to just an inch or two below my helmet but there was no buffeting at the middle position either. It seems to push the wind in a very friendly manner. I also didn't get any of the turbulence or buffeting either at the middle postion, even when trying to ride close to semi's.

Lowest Position

The lowest position would give me more wind, of course, but it was still a smooth kind of effect. Even though the lowest position is probably close to the height of the stock Honda screen it didn't seem to produce any buffeting, that would cause my helmet to be pushed around. The stock screen would push my helmet around pretty bad on the interstate but this Givi adjustable screen didn't do that.

As a side note: I'm 6'0" tall and when I sit on my SWing in my normal riding position my eye level is 31" from the seat. I have a longer torso than an average 6 footer so I was concerned that this adjustable shield may not be tall enough.

I have to say that this windshield on the interstate is a very nice shield that produces a nice smooth ride. There is no turbulence or buffeting at all, even when trying to ride as close to semi-trucks as I could to get that effect. I also didn't notice that "sailing" effect that I would get with the stock Givi or the XL Clearview that I had on at one time.

STATE ROAD

Highest Position

The state road that I road on had a speed limit of 45 mph and it was in very good condition with nice curves on it. I started out with the screen at the highest position and it was very smooth. I didn't really keep it at this height for very long at all. It was about 80-85 degrees there so I pulled over to adjust it to the middle position.

Middle Position

I pulled over and adjusted it to the middle position and rode about 5 miles this way and it is a very smooth ride too. Since the speed limit is only 45 mph it is really nice to have the option to adjust the screen. It felt like a very relaxed ride and gave more wind to my body which helped make the ride more enjoyable since I could stay cooler. I then pulled over to adjust it to the lowest position.

Lowest Position

I rode about another 5 miles with the screen in the lowest position and it was also a very nice ride. I think this is the height I will have it at when I ride on these types of roads at these speeds. When I would raise my visor I would feel more wind, of course, in my eyes but it wasn't alot. But it provided a nice breeze to my body and face and it still didn't produce any buffeting to my helmet/head. It was really a very nice ride that kept me cooler.

I also rode one part of my ride on a 5-6 mile stretch where the speed limit was anywhere from 15 mph to 45 mph due to the tight turns. I started the first 2 miles at the middle position and then dropped it down to the lowest position. With this type of ride it was very nice to be able to adjust the shield. Since the speed was slower, and it was hot out, this made the ride much more comfortable.

Adjusting the Screen:

As for adjusting the screen...it is very, very easy and quick. I would adjust it at stop lights or stop signs and it only takes about 5 seconds. It is just that easy. I wouldn't try to adjust this as you ride but I guess it would be possible, but not very safe. You really need to use 2 hands to do it quickly and safely.

Conclusion:

I know I only went on about a 50 mile ride but I have to say I like this new Givi adjustable screen more than the other screens I have had. I don't know if it is the "air-foil" or what, but the ride was very smooth and without any turbulence or buffeting. Even at the lowest heights I still didn't feel turbulence or buffeting. I know that there was more wind at my face at the lowest setting but the wind didn't push my helmet around. It is hard to explain but this shield seems to push the wind up a good amount of distance. When I had my Majesty I put a Laminar Lip on the Givi shield I had and it did help. I think that this shield gives that effect of the Laminar Lip but to a much better extent.

I will give additional updates but if I were in the process of buying an aftermarket screen this is the one that I would choose. I think that if you are a bit over 6' tall it will still do a good job for you. I'm not sure how it would do in the rain so I can't comment on that but it doesn't rain much out here in California.

I can say that when I am in the hills/mountains and on some nice curvy roads I will be keeping it down in the lowest positon, if it is warm out. It is really nice to have these options available to you when riding. The highest position is great on the interstate but I think I will be keeping it in the lowest or middle position in the city or out on my country rides.

Here are some more pictures:

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Close_10

This how the screen fits into the fastener.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Side_v10

This a side view of the screen at the highest level.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Pictur10

This is a picture at the lowest setting. My eyes are probably 5" over the top.

givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 Pictur11

This is the screen at the highest level. My eyes are 1" to maybe 2" over the top.

I would like to thank Givi for giving me this opportunity to review this new shield of theirs. It really is a very nice shield and gives the rider the ability to adjust the screen as needed. If you have any questions please reply to this post and I will keep them in mind for when I give updates. I'm sure i forgot some things so please just respond and I will do my best to get you an answer, if I can. Thanks for reading.

"edited on July 5th"

I'm not sure who all sells these but I have seen them on

www.scootertrap.com and I know Matt is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by JeffR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

lol

Oil is good.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 12:10 am

I'm one'a them mekaniks that tends to have left over parts all the time... so a couple lil' ol' brackets didn't bother me at all Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:18 am

I currently own 3 windshields for this bike- the original (which I don't use), the GIVI tall one-piece shield, and a shorty shield I use in the summer. Can anybody tell me from practical experience if the Airflow shield has better performance than the tall one-piece shield, especially considering long cold-weather rides? I would love to get rid of any and all buffeting during my ride, but i haven't read conclusively that the Airflow performs any better than the Tall GIVI does (especially considering its $230+ price tag)

Thanks for your feedback,
Jesse in Atlanta.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:27 am

Jesse,

I have had the stock, Clearview XL, Givi standard, and now the airflow. I think the Clearview XL and the Givi standard do a better job to keep as much air off you as possible, but the airflow gives a much nicer ride. Being in a part of California that doesn't get cold, at least to me, it is tough for me to determine which is really better to keep really cold air off of me.

But the airflow keeps alot of air off of you but you still get a very gentle amount of air, which is good in summer. I think the Clearview XL does the best job of all with keeping as much air as possible off of a rider, but don't order the XL with the vent (and I think they stopped that option with the XL). Mine would flex so bad that when I was on the interstate doing 70 mph or so, it would almost touch my chin and it would shake really bad. I think if I was still living/riding in Illinois I would have the Clearview XL on my SWing to keep the cold air off. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks Jeff!
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 pm

I have had my Givi Airflow AF214 for nearly 4 months and it is like having a whole new SWing! The rave reviews that others have given the Airflow are IMHO all very true. I was actually afraid to go on the freeway much over 60mph(indicated) - especially if I had to overtake semitrailers, have them overtake me, or ride (unavoidably) in their wake. Normally I don't go more than 5mph over the actual speed limit; however, I am now totally relaxed at speeds of up to 85mph (indicated) as I have tried this for brief periods to see how the scooter would react. Being buffeted like a rag doll seems to be a thing of the past - except if there are strong crosswinds (20-30mph). I am 5'-10" and can see over the windshield at nearly every setting. It seems to give sufficient air movement when it is hot (100) and not too much air movement when it is cold (40). Where I live in California it rarely gets into the low 30s, so I can not comment on really cold weather. There is a lot less air movement over your hands with the Airflow. My only other basis for comparison is the stock windshield. From what I have read on this forum and based upon personal experience you need to CHANGE OUT your stock windshield and you should try the Airflow as your first aftermarket windshield (if you don't like it you can always sell it). Thanks to all that have posted their tips on the Airflow under this topic and a special thanks to JeffR for getting this thread going. I have read all of the posts as it took that many to get me to buy the Airflow windshield as I am by nature slow to be convinced - but don't be like me, BUY IT NOW! I got mine from Cli-MaxRidingGear.com for about $228 (free shipping and no tax if out of Texas) in October. They don't have them on their website but can special order them for you. Took less than 10 days to get this FedEx land to my doorstep. Be sure to read the installation tips on this forum if you want an easy installation (or read the GIVI instructions if you want to do it the hard way.) Without my Airflow (and my Airhawk) I do not know if I would still have my SWing - but with them I can not stay off of my SWing. Ride Safe.

Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Airflow vs Cross-Winds?   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:25 pm

I have a question about the Airflow and cross winds. On a recent ride the winds were in the 30mph range. I was on country roads that were two lane and fairly straight for long stretches. At 60mph (indicated) the SWing was very stable going into the wind, and very stable with the wind behind me; however, the cross winds (which were gusting up/down around 30mph based on weather stations in the area that I polled after the ride) were at the upper limit of my comfort zone - at least on this two lane highway. Also, when I would go around a bend in the road that was protected (say by a hill) and then emerged into a crosswind the SWing seemed as if it was drifting and it would give me quite a fright. Finally to my question: With an Airflow windshield what circumstances have you experienced where the SWing actually moved off of your line by 5 feet or more (not just giving you a fright with buffeting but actually moving the SWing unexpectedly over 5 feet or more)? Most of the crosswind buffeting I have experienced seems to effect my body much more than it actually moves my SWing. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 am

Dimond, what you write sounds quite normal to me when riding in windy/gusty conditions.

In my opinion it is not a function of the screen, (airflow,) but more of the whole bike, rider and screen profile. The 'Wing' is a large machine and does have what I call a high windage factor. I.e. a big profile. SO it will be effected by winds.

Wind as you know is not a constant. Whilst forecasters will say the wind is 15 mph it is merely a estimate or average. Wind fluctuates constantly, in fact it is the reason weather forecasters get the weather so wrong!!! In the UK, most of the autumn, winter and spring in my area is windy or worse - gusty!

If you are uncomfortable riding in windy conditions - don't. My nemesis on the bike is ice, I will not ride if ice is forecast.

The best way to master riding in windy conditions is to do just that - ride. You will naturally adjust your riding style to suit the strength and direction of the wind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Dimond,

It is a nicer screen than the others I have had. I'm glad you like it since it is a bit costly but by far the best screen I have had. It does give a more comfortable and stable ride IMO. I know there have been a few times when I had the standard Givi screen, and going over the San Mateo bridge, that it acted like a sail. I had to really slow down then but it doesn't really effect it much since.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

I have a 2005 Silverwing and put the adjustable Givi Air Flo wind shield on it. I was in aviation for thirty years and we used to check "air foils" by putting a piece of Yarn on the surface. Yesterday I fasten a piece of yarn to the top of both pieces of the Air Flo wind shield (masking tape) to see how it was performing. It does a great job of air flow management. Try this. You will be pleased to see how it manages the air flow and gives the comfort zone for the rider as well as less wind resistance. This adds up to better performance.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm

DaveR wrote:
I have a 2005 Silverwing and put the adjustable Givi Air Flo wind shield on it. I was in aviation for thirty years and we used to check "air foils" by putting a piece of Yarn on the surface. Yesterday I fasten a piece of yarn to the top of both pieces of the Air Flo wind shield (masking tape) to see how it was performing. It does a great job of air flow management. Try this. You will be pleased to see how it manages the air flow and gives the comfort zone for the rider as well as less wind resistance. This adds up to better performance.

May just take you up on your idea!!!!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I usually have top section of my Airflow high for comfort and quietness, what I'm going to try and remember to do when riding in cross winds is stop and lower the top section to see if it lessens the buffeting.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks to all for the great posts. And thanks, Meldrew, for posting you mishap with the Airflow. I just ordered mine from PCA. I'm looking forward to the easy install and great ride it portends.
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 am

hi MarKB
you will probably find (all that work you put into your handguards fitting) that you will have to remove your handguards to have the airflow screen on as your handguards will hit the screen when turning with the screen being alot wider hope im wrong
jodders1
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Ouch! Thanks, jodders1. I didn't think of that. In fact, the storm guard hits the laminar lip when I turn the handlebar for the lock setting - so I had to remove the lips. (The guards give better protection anyway.) I guess I will have to think on this for a bit.)
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm

hi MarKB
your solution
have the stock screen with top laminar lip and handguards for winter
then take them off and put givi airflow on for summer sorted
jodders1
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Mark,

You might be able to adjust the handlebars, up or down, for your hand guards to work with your windshield. I put a Pictorial on this and has pictures of adjusting the handlebars. You should try this and see if adjusting it so it works, is also comfortable to ride. It may work. Either way it only takes about 10 mins so it is worth a try. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Did any of you try what I suggested with the yarn (string)? I have ridden my Swing with the Air Flow wind shield in the wind etc. and do think by design it is probably the "Best." I do not think, "appearance," wise it is the best. That is just me. I do like the adjustable and the Air Flow because of the "creature comfort," aspects.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm

I meant the laminar ears, of course.

Thanks, JeffR. I'll try adjusting the handlebars.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I’ve only added a few hundred miles to my silverwing since I bought it and all of them were on dry days. Since the scooter came fitted with the Givi 214DT which is too tall for me to look over I got concerned about driving with traffic in rain at night, I imagined I would get a lot of glare trying to look through the tall screen.

After reading so many good comments about the Airflow I decided to buy one, at least you have the option to lower the screen should you get any glare from rain at night.

Fitting the Givi AF214 to my Silverwing went a lot easier than I thought. Bigbirds instructions on page 2 on how to remove the garnish and tonylumps photos of the brackets on page 3 helped a lot, Thanks guys.

Here are some photos I took along the way:
Attachments
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 AttachmentGivi_AF214_1.jpg
Read Bigbirds instructions on page 2 and this will become clear.
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(84 Kb) Downloaded 52 times
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 AttachmentGivi_AF214_2.jpg
Here you can see the garnish hook that you need to release.
(105 Kb) Downloaded 42 times
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:39 pm

A couple more photos.
Attachments
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 AttachmentGivi_AF214_3.jpg
You need to drill this hole trough the plastic to reach the threaded nut.
(96 Kb) Downloaded 49 times
givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 AttachmentGivi_AF214_4.jpg
Be careful not to shove the rubber nuts through when tightening.
(93 Kb) Downloaded 39 times
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 am

Well I have nearly 10,000 miles on my AF214. Here are some observations.

Some of my riding is in the 35 to 45 degree range - but most if it is over 45 degrees - so my comments may not be applicable for those that ride in colder climates/weather. This windshield remains a 'dream' purchase and is highly recommended for those that ride over 60 (actual) miles per hour. If you cruise at 75-80 mph (some of our freeways are posted at 70mph) then this windshield is essential, as others have noted there seems to be no better alternative. Lately I have been doing rides in the 300 to 500 mile per day range - which I don't think that I could ever have done with the stock windshield due to buffeting fear and fatigue with the stock windshield.

The winds that I have encountered so far don't seem to (any longer) bother me - but anything over 15 mph (for hours) tires me. There is a lot more effort expended when the wind rocks you to and fro. I ride some with tourers (e.g., Goldwings) and they don't seem to be impacted by the wind nearly as much as the Silverwing. With winds gusty in the 15mph range the tourer rider (and bike) is rock steady - while I AND my Silverwing are moving about a bit. However, I don't think that this movement is only the result of the windscreen - rather just that my Silverwing is lighter than the tourers and probably due to other factors as well.

The little 'ears' on the lower part of the AF214 seem to keep the wind nearly totally off of my hand/glove with my hand on the bar. If I move my hand over past the end of the bar - the wind velocity is significant - but with my hand on the bar I can barely feel any wind. I don't think that I would get any benefit from installing a hand guard to keep the wind off my hand in the winter - as there is essentially no wind on my hand. Does anyone agree/disagree with the foregoing statement OR have you found a 'hand guard' to be a positive enhancement when using an AF214?

During rain when riding over 40mph there seems to be no water that contacts my glove as all the drops are diverted out to the sides - and not onto the glove. Also, I don't seem to get any rain directly impacting my jacket; however, I do get a lot of rain hitting my helmet and running down onto my jacket - especially in the front.

The AF214 is an engineering marvel!

Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Lots of good reports regarding theGivi AirFlow screen, but can I ask some questions about it?
Almost all reports say the driver gets less buffeting, but does anyone know how it affects a pillion passenger? Do they get any buffeting?
I currently run with a stock screen, which I'm quite happy with, but the pillion person sometimes complains that at certain speeds, or if it's particularly windy, she feels a lot of buffeting. She isn't very tall, so I can only assume the wind is going round me, rather than over, and hitting her.
Opinions welcome! Smile

Graham
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Graham I use the Givi AF214. It isn't perfect by any standards but it is, (in my opinion), better than the stock screen.

With the upper screen at its highest setting the pillion I ride with occasionally doesn't complain of being effected by buffeting. But the problem then is that I have to look through the screen rather than over it.

I find it doesn't keep you totally dry but does deflect the bulk of the weather. In my case the little winglets don't keep my gloves dry, that said they are better protection than not having the winglets.

It does take a degree of experimentation to find the best settings for the various conditions, weather and passenger! To that end I did mark the screen with a water proof pen until I managed to remember the height of the upper screen for the conditions.

The AF214 is an improvement over the stock screen, no doubt there is better or indeed someone will design a better screen.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm

It's a pity the AF214 doesn't give better weather protection for the hands, but if the winglets were wider you'd be banging the mirror stems against them with the handlebars on full lock. I may be wrong but I think the same would happen if the Isotta hand guards were fitted.

Maybe the Isotta screen for the Silver Wing is better than the Givi as it offers far better coverage for the hands, but I don't know anyone that has one and we've all gone through the ritual of drilling the hidden holes to install our AF214 lower section.

I like my screen in a high position, and you do forget after a while how bloody awful the stock screen was.

I'll remind y'all to check the tightness of the 10mm clamp nuts now and again to prevent the top section working loose and flying off.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I'll remind y'all to check the tightness of the 10mm clamp nuts now and again to prevent losing the top section working loose and flying off.

Good reminder Meldrew.

As a result of your 'incident' I regularly check mine and have tweaked the clamp nuts more than once.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks Doug, good info.
I'll certainly give the AirFlow screen serious thought.

Graham
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:23 pm

I had the Givi AF214 on my Swing but we are starting to get lots of "Bugs" so took it off and put the regular 214 on this afternoon. I a getting good at changing out the W/S can now do it in about 10 to 15 minutes time.
The reason I took the AF214 off. . .too much trouble to remove the top piece to clean. Guess I am getting lazy in my old age. Smile
Old Dave Laughing
Back to top Go down
EasyRider SilverWinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey JeffR,

Gotta say your highlighted photos showing the sequence of how to install a Givi Adjustable were all I needed to get mine mounted yesterday.
The only thing you left out was how to drop screw in bike and fish out but I discovered that step on my own Sad
Thanks for putting the time and effort in for the rest of us.
Easy
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm glad the pictorial helped you out. The reason the screws fall into the bike is that pressure was used against the screw. I wonder why they engineering it this way at times. I have been very lucky and have never lost one yet...knock on wood.. and I have changed out my screens many times. I'm glad it all worked out for you and you like your new screen.
Back to top Go down
EasyRider SilverWinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Actually I did all my screwing and didn't lose any rubber but did have some push back while I was drilling to have a bigger screw inserted into the aluminum diaphragm that had some givi when I mounted the struts so I would be satisfied right down to my base.

It took a lot more time but I did a much better job of screwing.
Easy
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:23 pm

I measure 30 inches from seat to eye level. I have 4400 miles on my 07 Swing, about 80% at highway speeds (65 - 75 in Oklahoma). I have never used anything other than the original Honda screen. Buffet has been my biggest problem. I have considered trading for a Goldwing because of the higher screen, although I do not want to (afterall, I am 79 years old and would have a hard time handling the added weight) After reading all of the posts, I guess I should shop for a Givi adjustable screen. I am a cheap skate and hate to put out the money unless I feel reasonably certain it will solve my problem. Input appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:34 pm

I forgot to ask - what is laminar lip?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Guy wrote:
what is laminar lip?

http://www.laminarlip.com/silverwing.php
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:18 am

Guy,

I had the laminar lip on the Givi shield I had on a Majesty once. The thing about the Laminar Lip is that you can adjust the height of it when you install it. I put mine on as high as I could get it on the Givi and it worked good. The Givi for the Majesty just wasn't very high compared to how high it is for the SWing.

If you are looking for a good screen I would suggest the Air Flow. It is by far the best screen I have had and I had the stock, Givi standard, Clearview XL, and the AF.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 3:50 am

I bought a LaminarLip for my Silverwing but didn't get the Ears that fit on the fairing.....and I should have done as the Lip itself didn't make as much difference as I'd hoped.

The Lip I had on my X9s did do the business very well; it's not for nothing the company makes the extra bits for the Silverwing. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 pm

My Swing already had the Laminar Lip when I bought it and then I bought the Laminar Ears for the wind deflection on the hands but found that they do not work very well. I looked around online and discovered the Barkbuster Storm hand guards, which do an excellent job of keeping the rain and weather off my hands - but they were incompatible with the Ears. I couldn't lock the bars until I removed the Ears.

At one point, after reading the great Givi AF reviews I was all set to order one but I didn't know how wide they were. One of the readers who noted I was getting the handguards pointed this out to me - so I had to forego the pleasure of getting one.

Also, the Lip was installed high (the prior owner was obviously taller) so I was forced to always look through them, even in heavy rain. Once I took it off I felt much better. I can comfortably see over the stock windshield and the air deflection naturally carries over the top of my helmet. (Occasionally, I'd raise my hand to my helmet to see where the windflow was.) So I'm quite happy with the stock windshield and the handguards.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:43 am

I posted earlier about the Airflow not giving much weather protection for the hands, but I've now changed my mind. On Monday I was riding through heavy rain showers all day and couldn't be bothered to pull on my rain gloves again after an early fuel stop, and because I was using autobahns I was going fast enough for the screen to keep my hands dry.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 am

Don't forget about the protection from those flying boogers hitting your hands, shoulders ,and helmet. chickendance motorcycle
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 pm

I notice the left clamp was not holding and I could move the left side 1". I had done an inspection 3 weeks ago .I will keep a closer eye on it from now on. Smile
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Installed the Airflow yesterday and took a short ride. All I can say is Wow!
Thanks to Jeff and all here for the recommendation!
Back to top Go down
swingmike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 2:46 pm

I replaced my stock screen with a Cee Bailey screen. I chose the tall one, which is 25 inches. Although I don't consider myself tall this screen has done a great job for me. Has anyone else tried the Bailey screen? I can't believe I'm the only one to purchase it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 4:21 pm

If the reader is interested it's a bit of an expensive affair ordering either a Cee Bailey's or Clearview screen in the UK. You seem to get shafted for postage import duty and taxes far more now than in the past, and who needs the aggravation of sending a screen back to the manufacturer if it's not right.

The Givi Airflow AF214 screen makes a lot more sense as it's height adjustable easy to fit widely available and is the screen of choice when junking the Honda stock screen.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 4:57 pm

I have the stock w/s, the Givi 214 and also the adjustable. So far I haven't been able to stop the squeaks and rattles upon take off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read all the threads on wind shields. . .
Old Dave Sad
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Slightly confused here. Stock - ok, Givi 214 - ok, it is the 'and also the adjustable' bit that is confusing - Do you have three screens?
Are the squeaks and rattles coming from the screen?

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

DaveR wrote:
I have the stock w/s, the Givi 214 and also the adjustable. So far I haven't been able to stop the squeaks and rattles upon take off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read all the threads on wind shields. . .
Old Dave Sad

I think this is a 'live with it' sorta solution. My Givi AF214 has a slight squeak under some conditions.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 5:09 pm

I think our friend has got the stock screen, the Givi 214DT screen, and the adjustable Givi AF214 Airflow.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I think our friend has got the stock screen, the Givi 214DT screen, and the adjustable Givi AF214 Airflow.

That's my read too!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 4:19 pm

squeeks/rattles----squirt some WD40 or furniture polish down both sides of base....lubes the rubber/plastic/ metal? stuff.

GIVI Adjustable screen rattle itself-----do some checking. Movable portion can come off if not set up right. 10mm thin wall socket works as I recall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   givi screen - Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next