Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive belt lifespan

Go down 
+3
bigbird
DennisB
Bobben
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-13

aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan Empty
PostSubject: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Hello.
Just wondering.
Drivebelts lifespan is here only messured by milage.
What about degading by time ?
I Norway the scoot is stored mostly from early October to late
Mars or early April in warm storage like a garrage.
I just got a 02 SW. with ca. 40000 km on it.
Thinking about a change to J Costa and a new belt.
What is the best belt ? if any difference.
No matter the cost. It is an investment, and I am on it.

Bob
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Bob,

Looks like the OEM Honda belt is the one that last the longest. Your going to love the J-Costa. Sure makes the bike smooth out and makes it seem like it has a turbo charger installed. affraid
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 3:25 am

Follow Honda's 16,000 mile change interval(ruff 30,000 km) and use Honda parts replacement belt and you should have no trouble.

I know belts can last longer, but walking sucks and with SilverWing, roadside installation of spare belt not fun.

I have suffered one belt breakage on over 200,000 miles of rubber band drive scooters------so I stick to what Honda says and try to carry spare belt.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 5:26 am

After 18.000km the belt have to be checked and changed after 24.000km.
I bought a 2001 Silver Wing with 54.000km and the V-Light was on. I think the last time the belt was changed was the 24.000km inspection and the actual belt had 30.000km. Then i also installed a J.Costa and a new Belt. But the Belt looks realy good with this expected 30.000km. Visual no need to change the belt!
Honda give no timelimit, other manifactures give time limits (if i'm right, my Piaggio X9 250 with Hondamotor from Helix had a limit of 4 years).
But i think i will change the belt every 24.000km (Honda Limit and actuation of the Light) or every 5 years, whatever comes first. With my X9 i had a broken belt on german highway, it is not so funny in real like it sounds Wink
With this change interval i'm on the safe side...

And i only take high quality Belts. The only belts i thrust is Malossi or the oem part. Malossi have no belt for Silver Wing 600 therefore i take the OEM part and it is not so expensive i expected Wink

And i have to say: The beltchange is an easy job on Silver Wing! I had a few other belt changes before and no one was so easy! I did the job on the sidewalk in the city center, i thinks it is also possible (but uncomfortable) on the roadside but i don't want to do it Wink
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 10:56 am

Will The J-Costa void the warranty? I am thinking about changing to the j-Costa but I have a year left on my warranty.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 pm

The answer was " as long as the J.Costa isn't directly responsible for the warrantied part's failure

Thanks Bigbird, That is what I was thinking
Back to top Go down
vproven
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:05 pm

What are the ride characteristics of an '08 SW with the J. Costa installed? How does it affect performance, i.e., mileage and drivability? Lastly, where is the best place to purchase said?

Thanks,

Vproven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt lifespan   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive belt lifespan I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive belt lifespan
Page 1 of 1