Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Today at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

30-32 gram sliders

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
bikehiker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders Empty
PostSubject: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 6:36 am

I have read here that the 28 gram sliders are better for fuel economy as well as strong starts over the standard 28g rollers. Has anyone had any real world experience with Dr. Pulley sliders higher than 28 g? I understand the 35 gram sliders are used in different set up Swing types only appropriate in Japan.

But are 30 or 32 sliders appropriate to our Swings? Some sites seem to sell them for the 400 and 600 Swings.

In traveling through towns with speed limits from 25-40, I feel the Swing revving much too high compared to other geared motorcycles I have ridden. We are able somewhat to control the high revs in a geared bike, but are subject to only higher revs in our CVTs. I think gas mileage would improve considerably as the high spinning rate on flat roads or downhills would be reduced with heavier rollers/sliders.

Also, a common complaint/observation is that, compared to other scoots, you really need to twist the throttle open to get the Silver Wing moving, even though it responds well at start once you get accustomed to it. I'm thinking the Swing has enough power to afford a few slower revs between 25-40 mph.

My previous geared bike had over 200 cc more and over 35 hp more than the Swing, but got between 58 and 73 mpg. Although I enjoy the Swing much more than that bike, I am just looking for a few more mpg and slightly slower revs, especially in the 20-45 mph speeds. I know that's asking a lot, but reading your input on this forum convinced me to buy this great bike, so now I am asking for your input on a slider decision.

I am a conservative rider looking for optimal fuel economy, but not too extreme that this slider change will adversely affect its longevity.

But the Silver Wing seems to be such a great bike as is, so I could live with its current set up and still consider it the best over all bike that I have ridden.

Thanks for any input.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 8:46 am

Yes, I've used 30gm Dr Pulley Sliders on my '03 for awhile. The RPMs dropped significantly giving better fuel economy but the acceleration suffered.

The poor accelleration could be because I was still using the OEM torque spring on the Driven Pulley. IIRC the JDM & EURO model 400cc Silverwings which use the heavier variator rollers also use heavier torgue springs. Both Malossi and Polini have heavier torque springs available.

Subsequently I ended up using a mix of 30gm and 28gm Dr Pulley Sliders on a ride out to the Midwest and got better fuel economy than I had on previous trips. Of course that was a lot of Interstate cruising. YMMV

Tim

PS: I may still have those 30gm sliders in shed.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 8:58 am

Very interesting to know about the 3rd party torque springs. I wonder if after all that wrenching, is it worth it, is the mpg that much better if you went 30g and a Malossi spring?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 am

Woo boy, now we are tickling the Dark Art of CVT tuning.

Seems to me that one of the members in Florida is using a Polini torque spring along with lighter weight Dr Pulley sliders with good (performance) results. So that suggests then that aftermarket torque springs might be "beneficial" whether you switched to heavier or lighter roller (or slider) weights.

Here is a link to a CVT explainer: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?8960-Variator-roller-weights-and-contra-spring-mechanics-for-dummies!-Learn-how-it-works
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Seems to me that one of the members in Florida is using a Polini torque spring along with lighter weight Dr Pulley sliders with good (performance) results. So that suggests then that aftermarket torque springs might be "beneficial" whether you switched to heavier or lighter roller (or slider) weights.

Here is a link to a CVT explainer: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?8960-Variator-roller-weights-and-contra-spring-mechanics-for-dummies!-Learn-how-it-works

Thanks to the Florida man providing this great explanation,This pictorial used to explain the operation of a CVT Transmission uses a 50 CC Bike as a pictorial example,

This will confuse the Military types viewing this to no end. Prepare to be assaulted with endless Questions, Generating some traffic on the sight.

Although this is a great example of CVT technology, It does not go far enough to prevent some of the posters getting into trouble. Since most posters have stated that they are not interested in increased performance, Maybe the volume will not be too high.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 2:52 pm

The silverwing is a fat old beastie and not the most economical at the best of times, but that is not what is designed for. It's more of an open road tourer at which it is very good.
I believe there is some injection map trickery taking place at slow speeds that might be responsible for the low speed acceleration issue. I'm sure someone with more brains than me will pop up to explain that.
If you want better economy and can live with the reduction in performance then the burger 400 might be a better bike.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Wow, Tim, thanks for your real world experience with 30 gm sliders.

And thanks much for the explanation link. Your contra spring info., and the link helps me to understand a little better the complexity of CVT. Now, I am pretty sure I would not go higher than 30 gm unless a different contra spring entered the mix.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 3:21 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
The silverwing is a fat old beastie and not the most economical at the best of times, but that is not what is designed for. It's more of an open road tourer at which it is very good.
I believe there is some injection map trickery taking place at slow speeds that might be responsible for the low speed acceleration issue. I'm sure someone with more brains than me will pop up to explain that.
If you want better economy and can live with the reduction in performance then the burger 400 might be a better bike.

Steve, you are correct to give the Swing scoot the "beastie" name; some people would disagree because it's just a scooter, and the term "scooter" somehow suggests a small-like bike. But the Swing is about 150 pounds heavier than my previous 800cc bike that got better mpg. I shouldn't wonder why. However, I was reminded of the benefit of a heavier bike this morning on the Swing while crossing Susquehanna River bridges during an incoming cold front with up to 30 mph wind gusts. I was glad to be on the Wing instead of the 400 pound BMW.

Also, today, after thinking about my initial post here, and the great info responses, I started to realize how appropriate Honda engineered this bike to give a relatively heavy 600cc the best balance between appropriate starts and highway performance. Hmm... not sure whether I would want to tweak things very much at this point. I'm not yet bored with its status quo. It's just so much fun to ride!

From what I have researched about the Burger 400, I would think it would also be fun. My only preference over 400 Burger/Majesty is a little more peace of mind in highway and wind resistant travel, while willing to sacrifice some MPGs in the process.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2567
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 10:19 pm

I use 28 gram sliders now and they work OK. Acceleration is about the same as stock (natch), fuel economy is negligibly higher, but for me the vibration dropped a bunch; especially between 30-40 MPH. I had a rough spot here with the oem rollers. Gone now!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Not sure what year your scoot is but the 2008 and newer models get markedly better mileage than previous units.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
I use 28 gram sliders now and they work OK.  Acceleration is about the same  as stock (natch), fuel economy is negligibly higher, but for me the vibration dropped a bunch; especially between 30-40 MPH.  I had a rough spot here with the oem rollers.  Gone now!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Not sure what year your scoot is but the 2008 and newer models get markedly better mileage than previous units.  

Glenn, thanks for sharing your experience of 28 g in good detail. Nice to know the sliders dropped the vibration. Maybe they are sliding into the right position at the right time.

I viewed a nice 05 Swing on Craigslist and visited an 08 with a great sounding performance muffler, but was fortunate to get a low miles 2012 ABS (600 miles) with a few "break-in" scratches. Seems to be running well after not having much use. But that's one thing I hope to remedy.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Seems to be running well after not having much use.  But that's one thing I hope to remedy.

LOL, but we know what you mean. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30-32 gram sliders   Dr Pulley sliders - 30-32 gram sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

30-32 gram sliders
Page 1 of 1