Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

addendum to install of new Michelin Tires

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Maxaryaman2004
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-04-17

addendum to install of new Michelin Tires Empty
PostSubject: addendum to install of new Michelin Tires   addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Gentlemen,

As a followup to my post where I installed 2 new Michelin Power Pure SC tires, along with photos, I have a question about tires orientation.

photos for reference here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ags0n2CJN4h4sy1NezSbqgM0bh5o

These dual compound tires have markings on the tire sidewalls to ensure that they are correctly oriented as they have a directional tread pattern.
As you can see in the photo of the rear tire, which is correctly mounted, the center of the tire has tread cuts that gradually expand toward the outer edge of the tire. If my understanding is correct, as the tire rolls, the cuts (or oversized sipes) are designed so that the area where the cuts are the closest together, touch down 1st, and then as the tire rolls, the grooves widen, and then this happens once the next se of grooves comes along. The idea is that if the tire rolls on a wet surface, that the water is forced into these grooves, closest together first, and then as the tire rolls, and the grooves run toward the outer edge of the tire, that this water is evacuated out away from the tire, to try and minimize hydroplaning.

When you look at the front tire, it is mounted correctly, according to the directional markings on the tire sidewall, yet when looking at the tread pattern, the grooves seem to behave in exactly the opposite manner as those on the rear tire, in that the grooves that are farthest apart, contact the road first and then eventually the area of the tire where the grooves are narrowest.

This seems counterintuitive to my way of thinking.

Can anyone knowledgeable, explain to me why this is?

Thank you very much.

Reg
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

addendum to install of new Michelin Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: addendum to install of new Michelin Tires   addendum to install of new Michelin Tires I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I haven't looked at your photos, but someone asked me about my front tyre pointing the "wrong way" not long ago. This is the answer I gave him and it seems to fit?

The rotation was correct, but what he failed to realise was that we only use the central one and a half inches of the tread when travelling upright.

When leaned over in a turn, the sipes can squeegee water towards the centre of the tyre as that will not be in contact with the road surface. If you then take into account the effect of braking and/or accelerating whilst turning, then the sipes on the sides can be angled to suit.
Back to top Go down

addendum to install of new Michelin Tires
Page 1 of 1