Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» scooter done for me
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 8:01 pm

» Attn Admins
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Today at 6:41 pm

» Advice Please. Brake Fluid Reservoir Corrosion
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 6:11 pm

» getting out of scooters
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 8:23 am

» NQiGTS Pro Electric Scooter
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 6:19 am

» He Finally Arrived
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby PeteP Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:09 pm

» Dr pulley sliders
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby spanishfudge Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:29 am

» Ultimate Touring Machine!
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby ishmac Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:31 am

» touch up paint
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby DareStx Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm

» January 2021 Photo
Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Michelin City Grip tires

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3641
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Michelin City Grip tires Empty
PostSubject: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 2:04 pm

I'm a big fan of Michelin City Grip tires. But they seem to be NLA. However Michelin is currently offering City Grip 2 tires.

Has anyone used CG2's and how do you feel about them... how do they compare to original CG's?

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi Tim.........I've got a City Grip 2 fitted to the rear. Fitted it around February time this year. Due to lockdowns etc I've not done lots of miles this year but find it much better than the original Hoop fitted. Still have the Hoop fitted on the front though. Still plenty of miles in it yet but haven't found and problems with the handling using two different tyres. Don't have any experience of the original City Grip. I will say though that it was a b****r to fit. Very stiff bead and side walls.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 916
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 pm

I used city grips on my Burgman 400 for a long time and found them excellent. At the time they did not do tyres to fit my Silverwing(maybe they do now). When my tyres on my Cruisym needed changing (originals were Maxxis)  i had no hesitation in fitting city grips and they have proved a very good fit and i ride all year round in all weathers. Not had city grip 2's.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 514
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Tim, if they are for your Silver Wing, you'd do well to consider Michelin's Power Pure SC tires. They are a derivative of Michelin's Pilot series of motorcycle tires.  

I've run through several cycles of the Power Pure SC's on both our Burgman and Silver Wing ... they handle very well, are great on wet roads and they last a decently long time as most Michelin tires do.

Here's an interesting video, at the bottom of the page, on scooter tires from Ryan at Fort Nine in Canada. He's very knowledgeable with a direct, no B.S. approach.

https://fortnine.ca/en/michelin-power-pure-sc-front-tire
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2016-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am

I ride quite a lot. The season lasts half a year on it's best in Finland, that is part of northern Europe. I ride good 7000 miles mainly long distance trips in Finland but also one longer trip to Norway every summer. The roads I ride are mainly regional roads and because of rough winters, the roads are not in perfect condition because of frost damages and sometimes bad maintenance.

I'd like to try City Grips. but as the scooter market is very small in Finland, there has been difficulties to find City Grips on the size of SW. I don't want to order tyres on line as the date of manufacture may be overtime.

I tried Power Pures a couple of years ago and I do agree, they're good tyres, but only on main roads that are in good condition. Because of the profile of the Power Pures, they're directed very strongly following the cracks on the road and may therefore cause dangerous situations or feel very unpleasant otherwise.

The roads might get icy in spring time or in autumn and that's why I prefer Metzeler Feel Free Wintecs, they're qualified as winter tyres as well according to our legislation. Besides the roads might be very icy even late in July if you ride up in the mountains in Norway.
[code]Michelin City Grip tires Dsc00614/code]

Last edited by Leena H on Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 514
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 9:06 am

Tim, it appears as if City Grips, both iterations, are still available in Canada (FortNine lists them). Perhaps they are simply running down the Gen 1 inventory until they are out of them.

Leena, several have commented about the Power Pures following "cracks" in roads. I have either not experienced this or didn't realize it was happening when I did experience it. Perhaps it's simply the roads I ride which, overall, tend to be in pretty good shape.

Too bad there are no Hakkapeliitta's available for our scooters.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 9:42 am

Hello Tim and all,

This spring I install  a set of Contiscoot tire on my Silver Wing. So far I love them they really handle like a charm... The way Continental make  there tire is kind of special. The center is hard  going smooth to the edges,,, So traction is always at his top  either your straight up or lining in a curve...

I also had this type of tire (Conti trail attack 2) in the pass on my 1990  BMW R100GSPD  for over 8 years and always was satisfy.  Don't forget that I was going on dirt road with that bike....

But tires are always a thing for every one ... just telling my personal experience...

Enjoy winter ,,, getting your scoot ready for the spring and dreaming about your next ride....

Michel
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3005
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Michelin City Grip tires   Michelin City Grip tires I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2020 12:51 pm

My 2 cents on City Grip---were not available in matched sets in my SilverWing days---best for me on SilverWing Micheli Powe Pure---nice handling, lasts long time and wore round!!

I ran Michelin City Grip of my 2019 Kymco XTown 300i= of course not available in matched set, really nothing special, bike was still foul handling pig matched with OEM front. Switched to new matched set of Heidenau, bike is now smooth rolling, nice handling, fun to ride. These tires might cost a little more in US but are surely worth looking in to for Silverwing.
Back to top Go down

Michelin City Grip tires
Page 1 of 1