Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

So you want to install your own tires.

Go down 
+7
Meldrew
Art
john grinsel
bicyclenut
exavid
oldwingguy
razorback
11 posters
AuthorMessage
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-01-31

So you want to install your own tires. Empty
PostSubject: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 3:18 pm

$80.00 bucs for both items at harbor freight. tire changer and motorcycle attachment.

will have to add a modification before next install. used it 1 time so far, only issues are wheel locks need a lip to hold rim, not hard to use at all.. the DS tire was a lil hard to get over rim but a lil soap worked well.

TIP before inflating use sand paper to sand smooth inside of rim as you will probably scar it up some.

beats spending 50 bucs for an install and the shop.

So you want to install your own tires. 12674110
Back to top Go down
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 3:19 pm

So you want to install your own tires. 12659610
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 pm

I have had one for years, used it on all kinds of tire from wings to tractor front tire's, Ruglyde is my " soap " I put mine inside the shop near the work bench. It helps to have extra mounting irons, long ones work real well. My main mod was to use a heavier center bar " rebar " works better than the provided bar. I cut wooded wedges to hold the tire bead up towards the center of the rim when prying the other side over the rim edge.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2016 9:06 pm

A friend of mine modified his HF tire changer by welding a piece of square tubing the bottom. The tubing fits into the towing socket on the back of his truck. Works great and you can easily slip it on or off the truck. Very solid mount.
Rim Savers are a good investment, they do a good job protecting the rim, especially if you're using tire irons to mount/dismount a tire.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29625/i/motion-pro-rim-protectors
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 8:24 am

Lacking rim protectors at the time I made mine from the more ridged handles of 1 gallon milk bottles Cool they worked so well I never used anything else since. Everything I seem to need at once requires a 50 mile round trip to purchase so DIY becomes second nature.
Back to top Go down
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 am

Back to top Go down
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 am

a few mods i will use next time
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 8:46 am

When the wife replaces the throw rugs I claim them for shop use and the changer is one place they get real well used, prevents scuffing for one and a lot easier on old knees for the other.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm

If you don't have a tire machine and you can get the bead broken, a sawzall can get a motorcycle tire off pretty quickly.  Just need to be careful to get the tire away from the rim especially at the bead when using the sawzall and you may need to use to snips to the the last part of the bead away, the rest of the tire cuts easily.  You will still need some tire irons and rim protectors to get tire on with plenty of tire lubrication or soapy solution. I've seen a method on You Tube to remove and install a moto tire using wire ties to compress the tire beads, never tried it, but I suppose it could work. I've done 2 sets with a bead breaker, sawzall, rim protectors and tire irons, no dedicated tire machine. Takes a bit of elbow grease and work and I know a dedicated machine would make it easy. We have a high end machine at work but it won't work on motorcycle/scooter tires. I've heard mixed reviews on the Harbor Freight/clones, so I never went that route when I learned I could do them without.
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 6:07 pm

I changed a tire on my Goldwing by placing a board over the tire just about touching the rim in front of a tire on my truck. Just ease the vehicle up on the board and that will break the bead. While the rig is still on the board you can stomp on any part of the tire that didn't come off the rim. If need be, flip it over and repeat.
Tires on a SW are a lot easier to change that the front tire on a Goldwing. Dunlop E3 bias ply tires have very stiff sidewalls.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 am

Tire irons work. Warming tire and wheel in sun helps. Tire Irons can still scar rims regardless of protectors.

Maybe easiest and maybe cheapest----remove wheel, bring to local dealer, buy tire from him, let them mount new tire on you rim.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 8:36 am

john grinsel wrote:
Tire irons work.   Warming tire and wheel in sun helps.  Tire Irons can still scar rims regardless of protectors.

Maybe  easiest and maybe cheapest----remove wheel, bring to local dealer, buy tire from him, let them mount new tire on you rim.

That is my intent once I get both wheels lifted safely off the ground. It's hurting to much to get down there any more, this maybe my last hurrah other than a yearly oil change Sad
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Working on my scooter, even just airing up the tires has become a lot easier with my HF bike lift. I'm the youngest of the three scooterists here who ride together and the lift as been a boon to all three of us.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

john grinsel wrote:
Tire irons work.   Warming tire and wheel in sun helps.  Tire Irons can still scar rims regardless of protectors.

Maybe  easiest and maybe cheapest----remove wheel, bring to local dealer, buy tire from him, let them mount new tire on you rim.
local bike shop here charges an hour (95) to change a tire if they pull the wheel
they charge the same if you bring them the loose wheel
THIS is the reason so many people are willing to bust their butts (and knuckles) doing it themselves, shops like that
my local tire shop will install a tire on my CAR, not just my wheel, balanced, for $15, whether I bought it from them or not
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 am

With this cottage industry of home tyre changing, how come bigbird still can't sell that wheel balancing gadget he advertised 3 months ago, or are you all waiting till he's desperate and the price drops to a sensible level? Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 2:15 pm

No sense in having a tire changer without having a wheel balancer as well, and vise-versa
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 pm

A lot of people use balancing beads.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:22 pm

I'll pass on stuffing balancing beads inside inside my tyres, I'd rather have puncture sealant instead.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 11:09 pm

I've balanced the tires on my Goldwing 1500 by hand many times over the 175,000 miles I had it. On the GW the front can be balanced right on the bike. Put the bike on the center stand, jack up the front of the engine to lift the front tire off the bike, and remove the speedo cable and calipers. Then put a chalk mark on the sidewall at the bottom and give it a slight spin. Repeat several times and see where the chalk marks are clustering. Stick on a 1/4oz. weight on the opposite side and repeat the process. After a few spins and adding the lead weights the chalk marks will become randomly scattered over the tire. That's it.
The rear wheel has to be supported on each end of its axle and balanced the same way. Reassemble and ride. My bike ran smooth as silk at speeds all the way up to the point the rev limiter cuts in. On my bike it was around 115mph. There never was any indication of uneven wear on the tires which usually lasted about 6000 miles on the front and about 15,000 on the rear

I've used the same method on my second SW with good results. I can't do it on the rear wheel of my 650GT because it has a single sided swing arm.

You can't easily use the method on the GL1800 since it also has a single sided swing arm.

I get balance weights from Les Schwab here in the NW. I offer to buy some but so far none of they will take any money for a handful or so. Auto parts stores have them too, inexpensive.
Back to top Go down
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 4:53 am

Art wrote:
john grinsel wrote:

local bike shop here charges an hour (95) to change a tire if they pull the wheel
they charge the same if you bring them the loose wheel
THIS is the reason so many people are willing to bust their butts (and knuckles) doing it themselves, shops like that
my local tire shop will install a tire on my CAR, not just my wheel, balanced, for $15, whether I bought it from them or not

same reason i got the HF changer ... only 1 place in this town of 90k that will change a tire/has the tire changer for a 13" and they charge $50.00 so after spending $400.00 on tire changes over past few years decided to try it myself.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 am

Tires---if you ride 30-40,000 miles a year, which means at least 3 rear/1 front tires Do It your self might pay. Not ride a lot probably cheaper just to use local Honda Dealer, buy tires from him and hope they have done it before. And since SilverWing is now out of production, so many machines do need tires as they are old---tire changing remains necessary.

My fear, strange dealer (on trip) have not removed and replaced rear wheel on maxi-scooter....and resulting in damage, etc on bike. Seen it happen.

My tire tools,including air tank have been acquired over 60plus years of riding---At 77 next birthday, I wonder if getting stiff sidewall 13" off rim I worth it? But then some people go to Gym---riding/working on bike self required some effort, too.

Wish scooters came with spare wheel and tire like they used to.......and easy rear wheel removal.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 am

In the "old days" when we had tubed tyres I used to fit my own tyres. The time and trouble of breaking the seal of the tyre to the rim and the effort of re-seating a new tyre is too much for me.Fortunately I have a local tyre fitter that supplies a new tyre, removes the old one and fits and balances the new tyre at a reasonable price.I just take the whole wheel to them.
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 am

razorback wrote:
$80.00 bucs for both items at harbor freight. tire changer and motorcycle attachment.

will have to add a modification before next install. used it 1 time so far, only issues are wheel locks need a lip to hold rim,  not hard to use at all.. the DS tire was a lil hard to get over rim but a lil soap worked well.

TIP  before inflating use sand paper to sand smooth inside of rim as you will probably scar it up some.

beats spending 50 bucs for an install and the shop.  

So you want to install your own tires. 12674110

I have a Harbor Freight that looks just like yours, but the bits that hold the rim are bent to grab the rim. I will get a pic later.
I also poured a cement pad in the back yard. Great minds think alike. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you want to install your own tires.   So you want to install your own tires. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So you want to install your own tires.
Page 1 of 1