Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 3:59 am

» noise under load
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Maintenance

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Some thoughts:

On second new SilverWing, left over 2013, now approaching 30,000 miles on this one.

1. Nice to have factory shop manual.

2. I change oil every 60 days or 2,000 miles which ever comes first. WalMart 10-40

3. Belt change every 20,000 miles. OEM only. No mods to drive line. Check rear drive oil at belt change.

4. Tires---Michelin Power Pure---cheap, last 10,000 miles on rear. Think IRC on front feels better than Michelin. Rather than balance on balance stand, I use "Ride On" which works fine and may seal small leaks, puncture. I do own tire work---get to look at brakes, etc at same time. Based on good luck with Kenda motorcycle tires, may look for Kenda replacement at 30,000 miles.

5. Valves----unless I hear noise, or have loss of performance (tight valve) I don't bother.

6. Spark Plugs---On first day of service, pulled them out, checked gap, put Never Seize on threads. Hope originals will last the 50,000 mile max I intend to keep/ride machine. So far so good.

7. Air Cleaner----unless I notice drop in gas mileage, I will leave original in.

8. I ride everyday/all weathers, do not use power car washes, keep pivots such as stands well oiled, look at coolant level now and then, use Lemon Pledge on body panels and windshield, use black finger nail polish as touch up paint if required. Am sure no battery trouble in the time I keep bike as it is run all the time.

Hope this is helpful for some.

Note: I ride this as scooter, find as I age next birthday 77, motorcycle is safer for me---as with hand operated clutch I have better forward control----auto can be somewhat goofy at slow speeds, and linked brakes not best idea for ideal slow speed/balance control. With GIVI top box, stopped has top heavy feeling. Gas---cheapest regular, in Chattanooga use pure gas, trips every 1,000 miles maybe a tank of Super Shell --wonder if it works as cleaner? But bike runs fine this way.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 12:51 am

John,

Great advice, thanks.

Do you change the oil filter at each 2000 mile oil change?  

I have used Mobil1 synthetic in my cars for years and put in Mobil1 Moto Synthetic once I purchased my SW used and I think I will go to a 3000 mile interval with both oil and filter,
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 9:11 am

I change oil filter every other oil change. 500,000 mile history of using WalMart oil and filters every other oil change---except Helix. which has no spin on filter.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 9:40 am

Curiosity has me asking why anyone changes oil and or filter any earlier than the MFG recommendations? My 05 states every 8,000 miles for both and with new and better oils compared to many years ago that seems reasonable. I will change it earlier say once a year if I know it's going to be sitting for the winter if not I'll ride when I can and change it in the spring.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 12:18 pm

If you ride enough----30,000 or mile a year to wear things out---oil is cheap insurance. Just talk and do not ride----following Honda recommendation ok.....as the miles will not pile up long term.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Used to do that, thousands of miles but still used the MFG schedule, why not running them is better than short trips. Contamination is the enemy the shorter the trip the fewer the miles the more contamination.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 5:07 am

I average ten thousand miles a year and keep to Honda's maintainance schedule. So I basically get to cover all the jobs once a year. I get about eight thousand miles out of the rear tyre and eleven out of the front so, again all things covered in one year period. Every two years I change the final drive oil and brake fluid. As for coolant three years. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 6:28 am

I'm with Old Limey, follow the manufacturer's maintainence schedule & you won't go far wrong.

There are not enough hours in most peoples leisure time to do 30,000 miles a year John, even if there were regular maintenence is simply that ..... regular maintainence
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maintenance   Maintenance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maintenance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: