Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):

Go down 
+8
john grinsel
Daboo
Waspie
honda_silver
DennisB
GaryL
Ghost_rider
SilverwingInIdaho
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): Empty
PostSubject: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 12:31 pm

backtracking for those who have not seen my posts since joning. I bought a used 2003 SilverWing and it was three weeks before I rode it any distance and when I did I noticed an oil leak as it was sitting on my landlord's cement out front of my place.
I got it into the shop as soon as i could for it's first oil change since I was going to do the oil change but the leak made it a moot point. I needed it fixed.

The good news is it stopped leaking for three weeks and the work they did was on the house. I was not charged even though they did not have to be so nice.
But three weeks after they fixed it, it's back. Far as I know he told me it was the oil drain plug. A very slight leak and from what I could tell after wiping it clean and waiting for the first sign of oil it was coming from the drain plug.

The Mech took his time with it. He said he had to mess with the plug twice and kept it over night to make sure it was not leaking. So now it's back to leaking and I have not so much as touched the oil drain plug or any other thing of any mechanical nature since it was in the shop. By nature of the leak I am guessing it's of the same origin.

More oil on the land lord's cement. FRACK! It's not a lot and will fade out but it's just the point. It's not mine and I don't want to be messing it up like some white trash renter would.

Any ideas on why it's leaking, again? Sad Should I try another shop? Should I order a brand new drain plug?

Mike
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 1:22 pm

I am NOt a mechanic myself but it could possibly be the O ring that
maybe seeping the oil and the oil drain plug as well.
Ghost rider Greg
04 silverwing with 43.500 and runs great
Houston tx usa
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 1:45 pm

I agree with Ghost_rider... I'd change the o-ring for sure. It probably has a nick in it. small moped
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Mike,

It might be a very micro crack in the drain plug it's self.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Could be the drain plug gasket as others have stated If not keep the Silverwing on the center stand to prevent the Silverwing from leaning.

Wrap paper towels around cardboard (to record where dripping )
- Place on ground with weight to prevent wind from blowing
- Place between oil plug and metal plate below oil plug ... zip-tie in place to prevent movement

After parking, wipe everything down very thoroughly (including the metal catcher below the oil plug). Make sure oil level is full ... just in case amount of oil matters.

After sufficient sitting time check where oil is leaking on the paper towel ... if not present check for oil on the engine and the metal plate below the oil plug.

If dripping on the paper towel ... redo steps and reposition paper towels closer to dripping point to accurately isolate.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Echo the above really.

New plug and rubber 'O' ring for sure. Whilst plug is off. Clean around the plug seat and check the threads for any deformities, may have a crossed thread that is allowing oil past.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Could it be stripped threads?

Chris
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Is it even the drain plug? First you have to locate where it is coming from exactly----engine? oil filter? drain plug? rear end? If drain plug then maybe new flat washer? Older bike heaven knows who has worked on it and how. Change oil filter,too.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Final drive oil drain plug?
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 9:32 pm

I thought the mech replaced the O ring but not sure. I will ask.

Back to top Go down
lucian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 am

Is the oil coming from the left or right side ?
First leak I worked on was coming from the right side where the stator wire is coming out of the crankcase. There is a rubber thing that needs to be sealed. Because of one single franking screw you have to take the exhaust off. You better have a small head to see what you are doing. I used three adaptive and one of this spinning around the corner socket to get to it. Not a big deal but certainly challenging because of tight places.

My second oil leak came from behind the belt case. It leaked so much it weakened my belt. It looked very confusing. I took out the back tire. Took out the belt and the belt case which inly has 4 screwes and that was it. It just looks scary.
Today I replaced my smocked stator. I will be uploading pictures.
Wipe, wash and see where the oil is coming from. Drive it or put it on the trailer and take it to a car wash to degrease. There is a purple spray bottle at Autozone that decreases really good. It turned purple. Any degrease will work. It looks so much worse than it actually is.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 12:56 pm

I did a whipe down before and was pretty sure it came from the drain plug.

Anyone know where I could get a new hondra drain plug?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi,

Just a thought...When you do get a new O-ring and drain plug and when you have the old ones out, take you finger and check the O-ring sealing surface (in the engine) to make sure there are no chips or cracks or anything else that might cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 2:39 pm

bigbird wrote:
SilverwingInIdaho wrote:

Anyone know where I could get a new hondra drain plug?

A Honda dealer? Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing My kinda answer!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:05 pm

So the honda car dealer will have this part? There is no honda moto dealer near me.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Try hear.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

10 CAP, TAPT ADJ HOLE
12361-KK0-000 001 $18.20 $13.14

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 4:37 am

SilverwinginIdaho, why don't you take some time, snap a few pictures of your bike, specifically the area of the oil leak, as you know a picture saves a thousand words.

Your not giving our experts much to go on.

Also, to source parts, Google or whatever search engine you prefer is your friend. That's how most of us increase our knowledge of our machine. That and a wee bit of giggery pokery ourselves. The best experience we can gain is that of attempting a few jobs ourselves and from you have posted you are screwed by the lack of Honda dealerships around you so the more you can do your self the cheaper it will be.

There are manuals giving schematics and part numbers on line, invaluable when identifying parts or researching part numbers, (it's in .pdf format.) Again - takes a bit of googling but it is out there. What isn't out there is a maintenance manual, not in English anyway, if you speak German there is one on the interweb somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:21 am

Useful links to assist with part numbers found on this site!

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1307-honda-2005-silver-wing-FSC600D/assemblies/15334

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-motorcycle-fsc600d-silver-wing-2005/o/m15666

http://www.hondaoftulsa.com/fiche_select.asp?vcc=Scooters&mfg=Honda&year=0

Re-submitting links as previously posted by JeffR and Dennis. Many thanks for these very useful links guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):   OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$): I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OMG another oil leak!!!! %#@z(*~!!f?({#%$*&*sonofa#!$*(%#$):
Page 1 of 1