Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy

Go down 
+7
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
Loosemarbles
cotetoi
johnd
micbusathens
DennisB
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy Empty
PostSubject: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 am

Looks like I need to take a look at the upper right side of my SWing motor. A few drops of oil on the shop floor. Looked under the scooter and the oil filter seal is dry and the drain cap is also dry. It's been a while since the last oil change so its not any remaining oil on the engine guard plate.

I did a search and found some information on leaks. Looks like the next step is to start pulling tupperware off.

Just a note...the other day I heard what sounded like a small rattle from that side. I felt around when the scooter was running and rattling. Nothing on the out side of the scooter is loose Question
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 pm

It's nothing serious.To all SWs the sooner or later some oil escapes from the elastic seal of the stators cable .Not big of an issue.You can can live with it or you can seal it with some silicone ....either from the outside... or better(but harder) from the iside right engines cover.Rattle has nothing to do with it.Just coincidence IMO
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi,

Some of you might be wonding what happen to the oil leak "JAY" was having...Well I cleaned and cleaned the bottom of the engine..not a drop or smug of dirt or oil any where. Then I went for a ride to get the scooter hot. Next morning there was a drop of oil coming off the engine guard. I removed the guard and cleaned the engine under that piece of hardware and reinstalled the 4 bolts. (Engine guard removed only to clean and the observation of possible leak locations).

Went for a short ride... when I got back to the shop, oil was forming a drop of oil on the cooling fin just in front on the oil drain plug...Soooo, I replaced the O-ring on the plug and did an oil and filter change on the scoot.

I thought that I found the broblem...I warmed the bike up let it cool down....Yes, another oil drop started to form on the same fin.

This morning...I decided the oil leak was coming from between the two halves of the engine case. BUMMMER!!!!

After some research... I then decided to put just a little more torque on the case bolt in the area. Not much , just a little bit more 1/8-1/6 of a turn, and warned her up till the fan came on.

Now that the scooter has cooled down, I'm going to take a look....So here I go... GOOD NEWS, no oil leak!!!!!!

I'll keep an eye on it for a few days.

This is good, I was about to rename "JAY" to the new name "OLD LEAKY"

Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 am

"OLD LEAKY" My gosh. I can almost relate. But I am not old enough to truly relate. Only 64 and still ticking. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 12:22 pm

This morning I reached under the scooter and there was oil drops. Sad

OK...One more thing to try...A new oil drain cap. Just ordered one. The old oil cap just might have a micro crack in it.

Now waiting for the new oil cap to be delivered.

After this, if the new oil cap fails to stop the leak, it's "Old Leaky" till the engine is pulled and taken apart and re-sealed. pale
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 am

I'm having a similar problem with oil around the bottom right of the engine and the engine guard. It's dry oil and there are no drips or drops, just a spread of dry and hardened oil. The oil filter and drain plug areas are clean so what can it be?

I thought DennisB had solved it by tweaking the casing bolts on that side of the engine. I must admit that this must be a very gradual leak because I cleaned all that stuff up on the last oil/filter change about 3000 miles ago and. as I said, it's not actually dripping, but as we all know, it's only gonna get worse. So far I have done no further investigation, i.e removing plastic or covers etc.

I know this is an old thread but I wondered whether DennisB had solved it? Mine is a 2001 with 25000 miles on it.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

My money is on the grommets that seal the alternator wires coming from the right side case. There are 2 grommets and they will harden and crack with age. A 2001 SWing is a good candidate for that. Mine is a 2007 and already showing some seeping from the same area.
I haven't figured out what to do about mine yet. It is not affecting the running, oil pressure is good, and I'm not having to top up. I don't get any drops of oil under the bike either, so it's not a huge leak.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks for that cotetoi.

Like you, it's not causing any problems but it's something to keep an eye on. Does it require a major fix or can it be sealed with some modern silicone substance. I need to look at the engine breakdown diagram to have a look. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
Thanks for that cotetoi.

Like you, it's not causing any problems but it's something to keep an eye on. Does it require a major fix or can it be sealed with some modern silicone substance. I need to look at the engine breakdown diagram to have a look. Any ideas?

Further to Jay's comment, that/those grommet(s) are a common enough issue on the Silverwing, and probably other Hondas as well. It's a splash-leak, not a pressure leak. Unfortunately those grommets are not available as replacement items and there is no easy peasy way to cure that drip.

The only fix is to pull the stator cover, clean the grommet and "gasket" surfaces with a solvent then reseal the grommets and stator cover with Hondabond or Yamahabond sealer. Do it once right or do it over again. Been there, done that.

Tim
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 4:19 pm

I had a similar problem on my Helix. What you could do as a temporary fix is to use a good sealant compound. The trick is to get the area totally clean, no oil or grease. Engine degreaser would work. On the Helix I used a Permatek product to seal. You have to let the application dry thoroughly, overnight is best, before you fire up again.
Or, you could wait till you have to remove the right side cover for some reason and do a sealing job from inside and out.
I personally never done it. Someone with more experience could chime in.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Hondabond 4 is the stuff you want. Goo seals those rubber parts and stays soft flexible.

I was chasing a oil leak on left side Water pump. Not coolant but oil. All better now new pump.
Back to top Go down
LeRoi50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 2:56 am

Quick question, is there a gasket between the right side/stator cover or do I need to seal it with sealant?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am

No gasket. Yes, use sealant. Preferably use Hondabond or Yamahabond sealant. Be sure to clean and seal the wire grommets as well.

Tim
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 7:59 am

I looked at a schematic of the right side cover. No mention of a gasket. The manual says: clean mating surfaces of the crankcase and cover, and apply sealant to the cover mating surface.
I am going to have to do this same job sometime in the future: I have a seep of oil coming from the stator wire grommet!

Jay.
Back to top Go down
LeRoi50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks Guys,

Wanted to make sure, sealant it is.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 am

I think my one has the same leak... So whilst the plastics are off, might as well do that too.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
No gasket. Yes, use sealant. Preferably use Hondabond or Yamahabond sealant. Be sure to clean and seal the wire grommets as well.

Tim

Tim never used those, are they a stay flexible or a hardening type Fd " bond " TIA
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 10:18 am

Im having this same area leak, etc.

I have the service manual, but it would be helpful if people had photos or a tutorial for us knuckleheads on replacing those grommets, etc.

Do I have to take that whole cover off? If I do, does this necessitate a full oil change? Sorry for so many questions.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 11:32 am

oldwingguy wrote:
Tim never used those, are they a stay flexible or a hardening type Fd " bond " TIA

AFAIK Those adhesives are non-hardening. But they do eventually harden up. At lease the adhesive peels off in strips when I've had to remove the stator cover years later. Somehow when I tried using Permatex the job didn't go well. Honda/Yamahabond is the way to go.

The grommet is not available as a seperate part. Impossible to locate AFAIK.

The stator cover must be entirely removed to clean the old adhesive from the mating surfaces and grommets. So, yes, a full oil change will be required. But I suppose one could lay the scoot over onto the left side (think old tires, etc here) and the stator cover removed then. That might make the job easier if the scoot isn't on a lift. Maybe a quart of oil could be salvaged that way.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
oldwingguy wrote:

AFAIK Those adhesives are non-hardening. But they do eventually harden up. At lease the adhesive peels off in strips when I've had to remove the stator cover years later. Somehow when I tried using Permatex the job didn't go well. Honda/Yamahabond is the way to go.

The grommet is not available as a seperate part. Impossible to locate AFAIK.

The stator cover must be entirely removed to clean the old adhesive from the mating surfaces and grommets. So, yes, a full oil change will be required. But I suppose one could lay the scoot over onto the left side (think old tires, etc here) and the stator cover removed then. That might make the job easier if the scoot isn't on a lift. Maybe a quart of oil could be salvaged that way.

Tim

Nah, no worries, an oil change is an oil change, just wanted to know what I was in for. In a few weeks I will tear her all down on that side and take that cover off and reseal it all. Thanks for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Oil Leak   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 12:30 am

A few years back I rode to Death Valley with some 25 riders all BIG bikes.
On the way back, on a cool morning and a slight downhill, I just had to see what my S/W would do. 105mph. was on my GPS.
It felt smooth, secure and never thought I was unsafe, BUT, after a few days, I noticed dripping from a few inches in front of the dip stick. My Honda mechanic said it was a seal and wanted $$$ to fix it.
I bought a product called Blue Devil oil stop leak. (permanent repair/Guaranteed! after maybe 6 months it disappeared and three years later, still nothing. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 7:51 am

johnd wrote:
 I noticed dripping from a few inches in front of the dip stick. My Honda mechanic said it was a seal and wanted $$$ to fix it. I bought a product called Blue Devil oil stop leak. (permanent repair/Guaranteed! after maybe 6 months it disappeared and three years later, still nothing. thumbs up

How about a link to the product you used, John? There appears to be a few different Blue Devil products. Did you use an entire bottleful as a substitute for the existing engine oil, or what?

While I am disinclined to subject my vehicles to "magic in a bottle" products, I do appreciate you sharing your tip with us.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 pm

I followed the directions using 4oz. which is half the bottle. I just Googled the name and got only one product and don't know how to do a link. sorry.
I have put on more than 3000 miles since adding the oil stop and have not noticed anything different sound-wise or the way the bike feels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy
Page 1 of 1