Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Empty
PostSubject: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 2:43 pm

I ran into problems today. I took my 02 Swing in Thursday for the works. It has 20,000+ miles on it, so I figured I'd have the brakes flushed, coolant flushed, valves inspected, final drive lube changed...etc. I get a call to pick it up today and head over. As I'm paying the $250 bill I'm running down the list of things that got done to double check with them, and it turns out they had forgotten to do the final drive oil. They said they'd quick do it, since I already paid, I'm assuming it was going to be free since it was them that forgot to do it, whatever either way. Anyways, after 10 minutes of waiting in the showroom the mechanic calls me and the owner back to look at a crack in the aluminum casing that they noticed once they took all the black plastic covers off. I didn't have a camera to snap a pic, but I'll attach one of JeffR's pictorial pictures to help explain. (**Pic is not actually my cover, just for reference.**) aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Crack Ignore all the red highlights, I highlighted where my crack is in green. It is right around where that bearing is pressed into the cover. The crack actually goes about 60-75% around as I've roughly highlighted. I am not sure what caused this, but we did do a J.Costa and new belt install last summer, and have probably put on about 2,000 miles since then. I did not notice that crack then, but to be fair, I didn't really inspect that cover either. I'd have thought a crack would have jumped out at me though, but maybe not. My question is, what could have caused this? Did we put the cover on wrong somehow? I thought the install was pretty straight forward, but was there something I was supposed to line up and didn't? Could it have possibly been just a fluke or faulty casting? I left the scoot there because I am afraid to chance driving it, he ordered a new cover from Honda($250ish) but it is coming from a warehouse in Cali and will take an estimated 3 days from Monday, so I'm without my scooter for a week aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Icon_cry Better safe than sorry though. My concern it that after dumping the $$$ on the new part, whatever caused the first one to crack will also cause the second one to go bad. I'll get some actual pics when I pick it up to show the actual damage. They asked if it had ever been down on that side. I bought it from a dealer 5 years ago with 7,000 miles on it already, but to my knowledge and from the looks of it I didn't think it had been. This is actally the first issue I've ever had with the bike.

Last edited by som2002 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Sorry all, I was wrong.

Let's start this again, WOW, that's looks pretty darn bizzar to me. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 10:58 pm

My question is, why the heck did they take all the covers off to change the final drive oil? It can be easily changed without taking off anything except the filler bolt, and the draining bolt.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 12:06 am

Is the cracked piece coming out (away from the bearing) or in toward the bearing?
could someone have tapped the center too hard and broken it?

is the bearing and pulley assembly loose enough to move in and out enough to do that?

Without seeing the cover It is hard to guess which one happened. That casting is pretty thin in that area. I bet someone smacked it with a BIG hammer to either get it of or put it on.
MaxB
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 12:12 am

In answer to why they took off the plastic covers to change the oil, because that is what the manual says to do. And as for the crack going in or out, I believe it was going in if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Picked up scooter today. Here are some pics of the damaged case.
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Scootercover009
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Scootercover008
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Scootercover006
aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Scootercover012
As you can see in the last pic showing the inside view, the crack goes right around the base of that big elevated tube. I still have no Idea what caused this and hope it might save someone else should they now notice this area on theirs.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:03 pm

Very Happy to hear your back on the road. aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) Icon_cheers Things are much better when the Scooters running well.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:41 pm

som2002 wrote:
As you can see in the last pic showing the inside view, the crack goes right around the base of that big elevated tube. I still have no Idea what caused this and hope it might save someone else should they now notice this area on theirs.

Did they install a new bearing with the cover??
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)   aftermarket  oem belt - Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problems with aluminum belt casing(crack)
Page 1 of 1