Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Steel or aluminum

Go down 
+3
dspevack
tinman
cotetoi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 11:41 am

Hey everybody, I am making my own brackets for auxiliary lights that attach under the fairing, much like Dennis B.'s light fixture. I find the aluminium stock is cheaper and also shipped for free from eBay. My only concern is the suitability of aluminium in this application. I am planning on using bars :1/4 or 3/8 thickness, 1 inch width and about 8 inches in length. If you know of any contraindications to this I'd like to know. This is my winter project, but if I don't get my a** in gear soon, it will be next winter's project. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 pm

I would go with a 3/16 " X 1 1/2' flat bar  ,a 1" wide flat bar with a 5/16" drill hold might cause stress cracks with the wait of the light fixture at the other end of the bar.{ IMO } Your Call. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks, tinman. Any opinion re. steel v/s aluminium ?. If aluminium is totally unsuitable, I'll go with steel.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Either way I would go with a coating of some sort.
Small parts like this can be powder coated extremely inexpensively by local shops.

Or

Hardware stores often sell a bottle of liquid rubber designed for you to dip tool handles into.
The rubber coats the tool handle to insulate you from shock.

The same stuff would make a nice weather resistant coating for your item.

I'll let those with more metallurgical knowledge discuss aluminum vs steel vs stainless steel.

Dan
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 3:10 pm

With the steel you can go to a 1/8' X 1"to 1 1/2' is good. Stainless steel ,20 or 18 gauge by 1  1/4 '' with a 3/8" bend on the sides. 3/16" by 1 1/2" aluminum flat bar  or a piece of aluminum1/8" checker plate  will also work . a thin piece of rubber can help in between the bar and body if you are concern for damage to the body.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Sounds good, thanks for your input, guys. I think the aluminium will do if treated properly. The price is also right.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:43 am

I am just going to put in a vote for Dennis. I have his mounting bracket on my 2005 and it has been on now for several thousand miles with no problems. He did a fantastic job on it and I don't see how you can improve on it. Thank you Dennis.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 6:17 pm

DaveR wrote:
I am just going to put in a vote for Dennis.   I have his mounting bracket on my 2005 and it has been on now for several thousand miles with no problems.  He did a fantastic job on it and I don't see how you can improve on it.  Thank you Dennis.

+1  Smile
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I know Dennis' equipment is top notch and is done in an outstanding fashion...  but you can't eliminate the "tinker" factor completely. I bought a couple metal strips to 'play' with for the same reason. Now... if I can only find them... Smile 
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:07 pm

DickO nailed it. I'm not knocking DennisB's products. I bought the spotlight connector from him and I'm very happy with it. I'm not at all electrically savvy . I'm not that mechanically savvy either, but I do like to tinker. I made the brackets for my spotlights from the round cover of an electrical junction box. It took me a while, but I got the design down in 2 tries and did the fine tuning.
It holds the reflector and carries the spotlight on top, all in one piece. I'm rather proud of my work. It would have cost $2.00 Can., but I had left over covers from work in my house.
My current projects are handguards and the auxiliary lights that mount beside the headlight. I'm also looking at a pair of crashbar shields to keep the wing off my feet on my 2000 ACE. I have it up for sale, but in the winter I am "thinking" about MY design for the shields.
There are products on the market that will do just fine, but I would rather use my own design, and piece these extras myself. My ACE has a license plate holder that was once the side tray on a Sears BBQ. Nobody would know unless I pointed it out to them. My motto: If any material is already paid for, why not use it in some other fashion rather than just toss it aside or send it to the landfill. If you are wondering about the gas BBQ, I gutted it and adapted it for charcoal grilling. It lasted another 5 years. I cannibalized the sidetray when my ACE license plate started cracking. There was no plate holder.
I do, however, value the opinions of more expert and knowledgeable tinkerers from various forums like this one.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 6:59 am

316SS for everything. make it,fit it, forget it.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Steel or aluminum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel or aluminum    Steel or aluminum  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:49 am

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. It is good to make it if indeed that is what you want to do. I just wanted to put a plug in for Dennis. This is why this country has been so great. People come up with their own ideas. It has been a free market. I am very thankful we have remained a free and prosperous nation. We have been very blessed! Keep on keeping on. . . Smile 
Back to top Go down

Steel or aluminum
Page 1 of 1