Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Best fix for plastic crack ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Best fix for plastic crack ? Empty
PostSubject: ABS and Fibreglass worked well   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Tried the ABS cement solution you suggested and it seems to do a really nice job. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks guys I'll give it a try

Hammy wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I've had excellent success repairing cracks & broken mounting tabs using ABS plumbing cement (Not PVC cement) and fiberglass drywall tape.

You're going to have to clean off the dirt & stuff from the underside of the crack first. Then smear a layer of ABS cement around the crack and apply a layer of the fiberglass tape. Allow it to set up for about 20 minutes and then apply another layer of ABS and Tape. The whole mess will cure in 24 hours, but it does initially set in a much shorter time.

ABS Plumbing Cement can be difficult to locate in some areas because of state or local prohibitions against ABS material used for plumbing. I got a small can of the stuff from Lowe's but I had to find it in New Jersey, as none was available in Delaware, Penna or NY. You might also check with an RV shop as RV use ABS in the drain systems.

You can also use nail polish remover as it is 100% acetone --the working ingredient in ABS cement. The ABS cement is thick & gooey and also contains ground up ABS plastic. While acetone is very liquid so you've got to be careful it doesn't get on the painted side of the tupperware.

AFAIK the main ingredients in a Plastex Kit are acetone and ground abs plastic.

You can also do a google search for methylene chloride acrylic cement.

I can attest to the success of using Tim's technique as he's fixed many a cracked piece of plastic on my Silverwing that way.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I've had excellent success repairing cracks & broken mounting tabs using ABS plumbing cement (Not PVC cement) and fiberglass drywall tape.

You're going to have to clean off the dirt & stuff from the underside of the crack first. Then smear a layer of ABS cement around the crack and apply a layer of the fiberglass tape. Allow it to set up for about 20 minutes and then apply another layer of ABS and Tape. The whole mess will cure in 24 hours, but it does initially set in a much shorter time.

ABS Plumbing Cement can be difficult to locate in some areas because of state or local prohibitions against ABS material used for plumbing. I got a small can of the stuff from Lowe's but I had to find it in New Jersey, as none was available in Delaware, Penna or NY. You might also check with an RV shop as RV use ABS in the drain systems.

You can also use nail polish remover as it is 100% acetone --the working ingredient in ABS cement. The ABS cement is thick & gooey and also contains ground up ABS plastic. While acetone is very liquid so you've got to be careful it doesn't get on the painted side of the tupperware.

I can attest to the success of using Tim's technique as he's fixed many a cracked piece of plastic on my Silverwing that way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks John, the location of the crack is so highly visible that I wouldn't think that using screws and metal would be a good solution. The plastic in the front fender is also super thin.

john grinsel wrote:
Underside plastic on left side of my SilverWing developed crack, two pieces of soft metal that said BMW on them (from Junk box) Drilled small pilot holes in plastic, used stainless self tapping screws.

No glue necessary and repair looked pretty good and most important lasted.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks - great info. the crack is so tight, I might try just applying the ABS cement to the underside without the fiberglass tape. I never thought of that - I've done some plumbing with ABS cement and I know it sort of "melts" the plastic so maybe it will melt the crack together

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:52 pm

I noticed a vertical crack right in the middle of the the front fender. It's about 3 inches long, starting from the leading edge and is hardly noticable , I though it was a scratch but if you push on it, it separates. Is there a good glue or plastic weld that would be best to fix this with. I'd guess it would have to be pretty strong to resist flexing

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best fix for plastic crack ?   Best fix for plastic crack ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best fix for plastic crack ?
Page 1 of 1