Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

City Grip Saver

Go down 
+7
David Watts
Kneedtospeed
john grinsel
GHM-PM
zrx212
Loosemarbles
Yusepe
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-10-20

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 03, 2023 6:04 pm

Hi,

The SW rear tire is close to the limit, and I only did 7k miles with a Hoop tire. I'm looking to improve durability, but it's quite difficult to find information and alternatives because everything is subjective.

Based on manufacture information it looks like Michelin City Grip Saver offers a good performance compared with the City Grip 2.

City Grip Saver Cl4e5i10

It is designed for electric scooters however I don't think that's a problem for the Silverwing it would be the other way around (no electric for electric).

Has anybody try it?

I also was considering the new Bridgestone battlax sc2, but I have no idea if it would last longer than the Hoop.

Regarding longevity, I've read that the Pirelli Angel could be good. How does it compare?

Advise for a good durability tyres would be appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2023 2:31 pm

Of course tyre wear is down to riding style but I do find the Hoops a bit short-lived (although I continue to use them). I like to think that I don't put the rear tyre under much strain but I guess I'm kidding myself!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2023 2:50 pm

"and I only did 7k miles with a Hoop tire", IMO anything over 5K miles is very good for a small 13 in. back wheel on a heavy scooter, unfortunately or fortunately scratch you won't find the proper tire sizes on those "Michelin Savers" ( or the Battlax SC2 scratch ), much less experience any real savings or benefits, electric scooters tires are made to reduce rolling resistance to save energy, thus they have a higher silica content, they work better on wet roads, but are softer and wear faster. They don't have to deal with engine vibrations, heat, etc. IME/IMO with top name brands tires, I prefer Michelin city grips, over any other tire.

Tire mileages are heavily influenced by user driving style, weather and road conditions, but the vehicle/rider weight versus wheel size also play the major part. The lighter 07-2016 Burgman 400, uses exactly the same tire sizes as the SW600, but it will get 10k miles easily on city grips.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2023 3:35 pm

Thanks for the replies.

That's correct, there are no Battlax SC2 tires available, but the SC variant does exist:
https://tyretectrading.co.uk/tyres/bridgestone-battlax-sc-150-70-13-64s-tl-rear-scooter-tyre/

Do you have any feedback regarding their durability?

I'm not attempting to compare different individuals with varying roads, driving styles, or conditions, as it wouldn't make sense. I will only consider durability valid if it's reported by the same person using different brands.

BTW, another person who tried both City Grip 2 and Hoops mentioned that the City Grip 2 tires wear out sooner.

I'm not certain if the Hoop tires use two different compounds or not, but the middle of the tire is worn out while the sides are still pretty much new. I'm looking for something more durable in the middle.

My preference is for durability and reputable brands only.

I would appreciate more opinions; otherwise, I might have to stick with the same tires, which I'm not satisfied with.

What are your thoughts on Pirelli Angel tires?
https://tyretectrading.co.uk/tyres/pirelli-angel-sc-150-70-13-64s-tl-rear-scooter-tyre/
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 7:49 am

FWIW my Silver Wing has never had anything but IRC tires on it since new, they were OEM Honda tires and I generally get 10K on the rear and 13K plus miles on the front. Price is good and I am happy with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 8:37 am

Tires===remember Silverwing is scooter. Proper size/speed rating/load rating important, then handling/wet weather performance nice to have. You might try Heidenau----do tire work yourself
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-03-12

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 1:11 pm

Mounted up some Pirelli Diablo Rosso’s, and am very pleased so far . Dramatically improved handling, and eliminated headshake.
Cant speak to mileage just yet, but the rear is dual compound, and tread wear is holding up really well so far.
Back to top Go down
David Watts
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2022-01-21

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 1:38 pm

I had the pirelli rosso on mine about a year ago and the first rear lasted 2,600 miles and the second 2,400 miles, the front was bald at 5,000.
I've used Bridgestone battlax sc since but only getting about the same milage, I tried a Bridgestone hoop aswell (on the rear) but it only lasted just over 2,000 miles.
I've just had a Michelin power pure fitted to the rear today so I'll let you know in a couple of months how long it lasts.
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 1:49 pm

David, thats why I also have a Sportbike! Haha
I put a different face on, when I’m riding my SWing,.
The tiny little tires on these are the expendable Achilles’ heel…
The high weight and rpm’s they bear, is overwhelming, especially when we push them to their limits.
Back to top Go down
David Watts
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 2:13 pm

I've got a 650 v-strom aswell .
I generally ride the bike in the dry and the silverwing in the wet so I tend to ride it a little bit slower (honest) LOL.
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 2:35 pm

😉👍
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 4:09 pm

Thanks, David. That's very interesting. So, based on what you've mentioned about the tires, it seems that the Hoop has the worst durability. Besides, considering that your riding style is more aggressive and my weight is only 63 kilograms, resulting in less mileage in your case.

If I don't receive more feedback from other forum members, I will probably try the Bridgestone Battlax SC. In the future, I will report here on whether it's better than the Hoop or not.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2023 11:24 am

Yusepe wrote:
... snipped ... So, based on what you've mentioned about the tires, it seems that the Hoop has the worst durability. Besides, considering that your riding style is more aggressive and my weight is only 63 kilograms, resulting in less mileage in your case.

FYI - I just changed out my rear Bridgestone HOOP after making 17,356 km (10,784 miles) with it. I describe my riding style as spirited ... especially on the technical roads.

What I've discovered over my riding experience is road surface composition has a lot to do with how long a moto tire will last. Where I'm from, our asphalt roads are a mix of tar and small, round glacial deposited stones. Easy on the tire's wear, not as good for maximum grip.

When we ride in the States, the asphalt composition there is more commonly tar and chipped granite (read sharp edges). Great for grip, much harder on tire wear. I get approximately half the mileage out of my tires when doing a lot of riding in the Appalachian mountain range vs. here at home on our flat, country grid roads.
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2023 11:32 am

Agree, there are many factors to consider when comparing wear between different riders. That's why I will only consider experiences from the same person as valid.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2023 5:13 pm

Power Pure SC, dual compound, wears round!---got well over 10,000 miles our of rear returning from Alaska---Suzuki Burgman 400.
Back to top Go down
Johnbil09
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Johnbil09

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2023-03-23

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2023 10:29 pm

I don’t think they make them in the size for the Silverwing,available in 8 sizes and the 13”+14” are no Swing size
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2023 8:18 am

Think Burrgman 400 and SilverWing rears are same size---I had 2 new Burgman 400's and 2 new Silverwings.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2023 9:21 am

john grinsel wrote:
Think Burrgman 400 and SilverWing rears are same size---I had 2 new Burgman 400's and 2 new Silverwings.

07-2016(US models), Burgman 400 and all years SilverWing use exactly the same size front and rear tires, actually they both came OEM with same Bridgestone Hoops until 2009/10, where the SW600 switched to IRC, the Burgman continued to use hoops until 2016, 2017+ B400 use Dunlop Scoot Smart.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2023 9:22 pm

I tried a rear Angel once it didn't last and had a lotCity Grip Saver Img_2018
of uneven wear on edges. Center on wear bars and lots of tread on edge choppy and noisy.  I ride all roads not just the highway, so it griped well but I wore it out in about 4.5K.  I've used any tires but never City Grip and don't plan to.

Metzler makes a good tire have a set mounted now and they feel good how long they last???? Front+ rear like them so far. City Grip Saver Pxl_2038City Grip Saver Pxl_2039
Back to top Go down
Yusepe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2023 9:37 pm

Thanks for the Angel feedback.

Any experience with Battlax Mech?

I have read in another forum many ppl mount Metzler. When they are new all looks pretty.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2023 11:56 pm

I installed Pirelli Diablo Rosso scooter tires on my Forza to replace the Dunlop OEM tires. They are a bit more expensive than the Angel tires and handle very well. As to longevity I will have to keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 12:24 pm

As high mileage rider, about 1.5 million 2 wheel miles and user of est. 400-450 new tires since 1955, I think it is important that tire wears round---no square edges to bother handling. Few do that

Silverwing tip---always carry spare exhaust gasket (muffler to exhaust pipe) you never know when rear wheel needs to come off and go back on.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 3:25 pm

My 99 Burgman tyres are:
Front 110/90 - 13M/C
Rear  130/70 - 13M/C

09 Silverwing:
Front  120/80 - 14M/C
Rear   150/70 - 13M/C

When did Burgman change to a 14" Front wheel please ?

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 9:32 pm

" When did Burgman change to a 14" Front wheel please ? "

2007 scratch

https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/suzuki/touring-scooter/2007/burgman/400/detail.html
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2022-12-23

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 4:47 am

Manny thanks zrx212.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
David Watts
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 1:03 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Silverwing tip---always carry spare exhaust gasket (muffler to exhaust pipe)  you never know when rear wheel needs to come off and go back on.

You don't need to take the exhaust off to change the rear tyre.
I've replaced 8 or 9 rears and the exhaust has never been off.
Put a small jack under the drive case, unbolt both shockers, lower the casing,
Slide the wheel off the spindle, lower the casing a bit more and the wheel will come out at a 45 degree angle.
I'll try and put some photos on later.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 1:13 pm

David Watts wrote:
... snipped ... You don't need to take the exhaust off to change the rear tyre.

Notwithstanding the SWing's Service Manual outlines exhaust removal as Step 1 of the swingarm and rear wheel removal procedure, I like to remove it as it really opens things up for me to inspect and clean that entire area.

The exhaust is a heavy, bulky thing and IMHO, is better disconnected and set aside when working in the deeper, harder to see/reach areas.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 7:07 pm

I would apply service manual for along the road repair. Not many people carry floor jack for road side repairs.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 11, 2023 9:16 pm

Yusepe wrote:
Thanks for the Angel feedback.

Any experience with Battlax Mech?

I have read in another forum many ppl mount Metzler. When they are new all looks pretty.

I haven't seen those tires until now after a search, looks like more of a performance-grippy tire but who knows. Bridgestone makes good tires and liked them on my FJR. Make your best judgement on how you ride and conditions. Longer wear VS grip most new tires are safe and grip well.
Back to top Go down
David Watts
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Conti scoot   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2024 12:55 pm

David Watts wrote:
I had the pirelli rosso on mine about a year ago and the first rear lasted 2,600 miles and the second 2,400 miles, the front was bald at 5,000.
I've used Bridgestone battlax sc since but only getting about the same milage, I tried a Bridgestone hoop aswell (on the rear) but it only lasted just over 2,000 miles.
I've just had a Michelin power pure fitted to the rear today so I'll let you know in a couple of months how long it lasts.  

We'll, the power pure was better than others I've tried.
It lasted 3,115 miles.
I'm trying a continental conti scoot now, it's got the same tread pattern as the conti trail attack 3 which riders rave about.
I'll let you know how long it lasted in a couple of months .
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2024 6:33 am

My Silver Wing has nearly 26K on it and has NEVER had any tires on it but IRC (OEM rubber). The fronts generally last 10K and the rear close to 8K. No complaints from me plus they are cheaper than most of the others mentioned...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

City Grip Saver Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Grip Saver   City Grip Saver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

City Grip Saver
Page 1 of 1