Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Please solve this mystery????

Go down 
+2
skiwoods
wingnprayer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Please solve this mystery???? Empty
PostSubject: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Why do car windscreens freeze up while most of the other windows on the same car don't (or to a much lesser degree)? The same seems to apply with condensation.

It's like there's some universal rule... ah he needs to see through that front one most!!!
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 5:57 pm

My first thought is that car windshields are not as vertical as the side windows. Gravity moves the snow/ice down off the side windows. The front windshield (some more than others) have a degree of slope less than straight down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 8:19 pm

wingnprayer wrote:
Why do car windscreens freeze up while most of the other windows on the same car don't (or to a much lesser degree)? The same seems to apply with condensation.

It's like there's some universal rule... ah he needs to see through that front one most!!!

Standing still or moving??
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:23 pm

I found this site... look at posts number 15 and 25.

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2009/11/a_question_about_frost.php

That is pretty interesting reading.

Gene... they mention "Lee effect" or something like that. That sounds like an aerodynamical term. Any help on that?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 6:01 am

The lee side is the side of an object which is facing directly away from the wind, i.e. if the wind is blowing from the North, the South side of the object is the lee side.
The term was/is used still in Nautical circles, especially with sailing-boats.

A command on a boat with sails is, "Helm a-lee" which means moving the tiller away from the wind, thus turning the boat into the wind (to slow or stop it).

The opposite side is the windward side - one should always throw the rubbish, pee or spit on the lee side of the boat or whatever's being thrown over will come back on the boat!

If a small boat is in distress in rough seas, a large ship may come and 'form a lee', a slightly calmer patch of water round the boat, by putting itself between the boat and the direction the wind is coming from.

The frost will probably form on the lee side as the air there is still.
The converse is true of snow because of the 'shadow' on the lee side.
Certainly, the slope of the windscreen will encourage frost to form; I wonder if it has anything to do with the wind flowing across the surface, a bit like a heat-exchanger.
I know for a fact that the tops of my thighs get coldest when riding as the wind rushes along the top of them from knee to hip.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 7:30 am

MikeO wrote:
The lee side is the side of an object which is facing directly away from the wind, i.e. if the wind is blowing from the North, the South side of the object is the lee side.
The term was/is used still in Nautical circles, especially with sailing-boats.

A command on a boat with sails is, "Helm a-lee" which means moving the tiller away from the wind, thus turning the boat into the wind (to slow or stop it).

The opposite side is the windward side - one should always throw the rubbish, pee or spit on the lee side of the boat or whatever's being thrown over will come back on the boat!

If a small boat is in distress in rough seas, a large ship may come and 'form a lee', a slightly calmer patch of water round the boat, by putting itself between the boat and the direction the wind is coming from.

The frost will probably form on the lee side as the air there is still.
The converse is true of snow because of the 'shadow' on the lee side.
Certainly, the slope of the windscreen will encourage frost to form; I wonder if it has anything to do with the wind flowing across the surface, a bit like a heat-exchanger.
I know for a fact that the tops of my thighs get coldest when riding as the wind rushes along the top of them from knee to hip.

The bigger service naval vessels still use the term 'Lee'. For example if effecting a rescue or coming alongside another vessel in trouble the naval vessel will position itself with the other ship/vessel in the 'lee' or sheltered area now made by the larger naval ship.

Hope that makes sense.

I still use the term when positioning my Wing in my garden.
The Wing is always positioned in the 'lee' of my garage thereby sheltering it from the winds and weather.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 8:25 am

Waspie... when "positioning my Wing in my garden", how deep do you dig to plant it? Here in the states the EPA has all kinds of regulations about disposing of lead, plastic, tyres ( santa ) and other environmentally unfriendly materials. I had never thought of positioning my wing in my garden, but that is a great suggestion if I can pull it off.

Merry Christmas my friend.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 9:06 am

Opalsboy wrote:
Waspie... when "positioning my Wing in my garden", how deep do you dig to plant it? Here in the states the EPA has all kinds of regulations about disposing of lead, plastic, tyres ( santa ) and other environmentally unfriendly materials. I had never thought of positioning my wing in my garden, but that is a great suggestion if I can pull it off.

Merry Christmas my friend.

Gary, I found up to the axles in a good fertile soil best but the odd dressing of forest bark aids keeping bugs down.

I haven't noticed any growth yet but it's early days.

Seasons greetings

Doug santa chickendance
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please solve this mystery????   Please solve this mystery???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please solve this mystery????
Page 1 of 1