Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

So I took the bike for an inspection....

Go down 
+10
Gustafa
Dale N.
Old Limey
Siataukreg
Sidewinder Pilot
GHM-PM
Cosmic_Jumper
steve_h80
oldwingguy
EvilTwin
14 posters
AuthorMessage
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

So I took the bike for an inspection.... Empty
PostSubject: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

And the guy looked at the tires and told me the rear would not pass, it was too worn.   These are the original hoops, and the bike is a 2009.   Local dealer wants about 400+ to put new tires on it, probably the same hoops, since he said they priced out bridgestones.  I think the price on each tire alone was around 120-130 bucks.  Ouch.

Looking online, I see what is involved in removing the front and rear wheels.  Nothing impossible, though I can't say I'm gung ho to start tearing into it with a bunch of other projects as well as a sore back from a pulled muscle.  But, its gotta be done, right?

So that begs a couple of questions.  For starters, and I know this is a well hashed topic, what are the current recommendations on tires and where to buy them in the US.  I see several different brands on sites like revzilla and motorcycle superstore  such as michelin, pirelli, shinko and avon.  I dont plan on riding this bike probably more than a couple thousand miles a year, nor do I plan on taking it on long drives and hopefully not too much wet weather.   Previous experience lends me to want to get a matched set (same manufacturer/tire model) for both front and rear,  but again reading leads me to think that it may not be totally necessary on this scoot.

And the other question has to do with getting this bike off the ground to do the work.  A full sized lift table is not in the cards, my garage is packed with woodworking and metalworking machinery.  I do see that there are some smaller lifts that pick the bike up in the middle under the engine, but I'm not sure if that would work due to the plastic parts underneath.  As always, standing by for enlightenment.

Bob
So I took the bike for an inspection.... 46238_1_700x700
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm

The same lift I used on my Gold Wing now on my Silver Wing, for the latter I used a piece of 1/2 inch plywood sized for the lift. I used ratchet tie downs and completed the tire change with no problems. A torque wrench along with other proper tools and you should be good to go. I used a private shop and took the tires to him seeing he was a friend, he included mounting and balancing in the tire price.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Use the mainstand and do one wheel at a time, that's what I always do cos it worries me seen a wheel-less bike!
The back end is the longest job so do that first, but neither is difficult.
At 8 years old both tyres are due a change regardless of remaing tread, but I guess you've figgered that out.
Over here tyres are about £50 each plus about £10 for the man with the spoons to fit them. $400 is outrageous, who have you gone too? The Dick Turpin Tyre Emporium???
You will get caught out in the rain at some time so put something decent on.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

You certainly don't need a lift to remove the wheels.

After loosening the big 27mm rear axle nut and the front 22 mm axle nut along with the two 10 mm hex pinch bolts while the scoot is still on the ground, I put the scoot on the center stand. Once I have removed the right swing arm and the rear wheel I use a Honda/Toyota car jack and a piece of 1/2" plywood (to spread the load) under the fuel tank area to raise the front enough to allow removing front wheel.

The new tires and wheels then go into the car and off to my friendly private shop for them to mount and balance the new tires.

I've never heard positive reports about Avon tires. Shinko tires dont have much of a positive reputation either. Given your projected minimal use, Pirelli Diablos would seem to be very cost effective for you.

$400 for tires? You are dealing with a pirate.

Tim
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. The 400 dollar quote was from a local honda dealer. If the bike was jacked up under the metal frame beneath the motor, would it balance fore and aft at that point?

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 4:09 pm

That plywood support piece can go forward closer to the radiator. There is a sub frame running along both sides to which the lower cover and the side skirts attach. It protects the fuel tank bottom. So, yes, the scoot will be supported/raised at three points. Of course I wouldn't allow the grand kids to be playing in that vicinity though.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 9:59 pm

My dealer is not a pirate. Costs me about 120 each installed (for IRC's). And since I don't have the tools or drive I take it in...
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Here in Ocala Florida, our local Honda dealership installs the tires for free, if you buy them there....The bonus is they will price match on the internet, so Motorcycle Superstore, Revzilla or whichever online store/supplier has the best price (no ebay), plus taxes and disposal fees etc, will be your price!

I paid about $210 for a pair of Power Pure ...Installed, and my Shinkos were about $120 out the door!

You go in, order your tire at the parts dept (bring a website link) and when the tires arrive show-up at 9am in the service dept, about 2 hours later you ride out on new tires!

No fuss, no muss and no dirty hands!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 3:06 am

Takes 20 min to remove the rear wheel do that end first on its centre stand, I use a trolly jack to lift the front just enough to remove the front wheel its easy to remove front wheel 5 min tops
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 am

As others have pointed out you do not need any kind of lift to remove the wheels (apart from raising the front to lift wheel off the ground). If you are used to bikes it is straight forward. As for tyres I have tried a few different makes , Bridge stone hoops are the recommended tyre and do the job well. I change tyres, usually once a year, as I average 10000 mls a year. I usually get 8000 mls from a rear tyre and 11000 mls from the front. Price wise each tyre is usually 60-65 pounds when the wheel is taken to the tyre fitter, who fits new valve and balances wheel.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Ordered a set of pirelli Diablo's off Revzilla.  Got them to pricematch.   I'll have to look more closely at the videos on taking both wheels off.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 12:00 am

I just ordered a rear Pirelli Diablo for my 08 SWing. Should be here Saturday. It's getting a little flat in the center so I don't take it for any long rides for now. I'll take it to Larson Cycle in Cambridge, MN for mount and balance, then put in a bottle of Ride On when I get it home, put it on the SWing and be all set for another 4 years. I paid $75.34 for the rear from Bike Bandit. Also got the Ride On from them too which pushed me over the minimum for free shipping.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Both new tires finally came in this week, a pair of Pirelli Diablos from Revzilla.   Tonight I started taking the wheels off.  I used this video of the 7 minute Italian mechanic as a guide.    

The rear came off with about 20 minutes work.  I'll start on the front tomorrow after work, then Friday I'll take them to get changed out.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:24 am

I run Pirelli Diablos, front and rear, its what Im used to and they are grippy. I put high-miles on my bike.

I just removed both tires to have the rims powder coated and this whole bike is undergoing new paint and fluid and maintenance.
Bike is on center stand, rear tire removed first, then used a trolley jack with a 1x4 to disperse the weight under the near front, just behind the radiator area.

Both wheels are off the bike in the second photo

So I took the bike for an inspection.... Photo_15
So I took the bike for an inspection.... Photo_14
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 am

Two thumbs up and I like your " support " box.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 am

Dale N. wrote:
I just ordered a rear Pirelli Diablo for my 08 SWing. Should be here Saturday. It's getting a little flat in the center so I don't take it for any long rides for now. I'll take it to Larson Cycle in Cambridge, MN for mount and balance, then put in a bottle of Ride On when I get it home, put it on the SWing and be all set for another 4 years. I paid $75.34 for the rear from Bike Bandit. Also got the Ride On from them too which pushed me over the minimum for free shipping.

Just a heads up that it may not be the best way to develop rapport with one's local dealer. Kind of like bringing one's own CocaCola or steak into a restaurant and expecting a glass of ice and for them to prepare the steak. Not much profit in that.

Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Thats a cool yellow on that bike.   For sure that wasn't original.  

Front is off, very easy job.  The 22mm nut was very loose, glad I caught that.  Jacked it up with a piece of plywood protecting the plastic, loosened the allen bolts and tapped the axle out.  Taking both to a local shop to do the tire change.  I did look at a bunch of you tube videos and contemplated trying to change the tires myself, but with some lower back pain and arthritic joints,  I'll just pay to do it this time.  As it is I've got to do brakes on my car including bleeding all 4 corners this weekend,  so I'll save the body part wear for that.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 11:15 pm

I replaced my original tires with same tire and they were about 70 each plus installation. I got 11500 mile on the set. The 12000 mile service and valve adj. was a buxx kicker though.
Back to top Go down
Stevesilver1995
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Stevesilver1995

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-07-09

PostSubject: Love the yellow it's my favorite color   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 12:38 am

Gustafa wrote:
I run Pirelli Diablos, front and rear, its what Im used to and they are grippy. I put high-miles on my bike.

I just removed both tires to have the rims powder coated and this whole bike is undergoing new paint and fluid and maintenance.
Bike is on center stand, rear tire removed first, then used a trolley jack with a 1x4 to disperse the weight under the near front, just behind the radiator area.

Both wheels are off the bike in the second photo

So I took the bike for an inspection.... Photo_15
So I took the bike for an inspection.... Photo_14
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Wheels are done, will put them back on after work today. Quick question, what are the torque specs for the nuts for either axle, and whatever else might be critical, such as the allen head bolts on the front fork, bolts that hold the rear swingarm on, bolts for calipers.

Thanks in Advance,

Bob
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 pm

EvilTwin wrote:
Wheels are done,  will put them back on after work today.  Quick question, what are the torque specs for the nuts for either axle, and whatever else might be critical, such as the allen head bolts on the front fork, bolts that hold the rear swingarm on, bolts for calipers.  

Thanks in Advance,

Bob

Did you receive an answer to your question in one shape or form,Bob? If not, I'm putting my front tire on this upcoming week and need to look all that up myself. I have a service manual. I could certainly look it up this weekend.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 pm

dekare wrote:
EvilTwin wrote:
Wheels are done,  will put them back on after work today.  Quick question, what are the torque specs for the nuts for either axle, and whatever else might be critical, such as the allen head bolts on the front fork, bolts that hold the rear swingarm on, bolts for calipers.  

Thanks in Advance,

Bob

Did you receive an answer to your question in one shape or form,Bob? If not, I'm putting my front tire on this upcoming week and need to look all that up myself. I have a service manual. I could certainly look it up this weekend.

I did some online searching.  From what I found the rear is 101 ft lbs and the swing axle bolts were 36 ft lbs.  I torqued the front axle to 100 ft lbs. and the allen head bolts to somewhere around 40-50 lbs.  Its all put back together now,  finished right before a line of thunderstorms rolled through here tonight.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 pm

All figures are lb/ft. Front wheel: Axle 43/ Pinch bolt 16/ Brake Caliper 22. Rear: Axle 102/ Swinging arm 36/ Park and Normal Brake Calipers 22.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 am

So I took the bike in for an inspection....

And it passed.....

So I took the bike for an inspection.... WOkOfUdkBwLwpa_q78EFjIQnIgasXp6msOiTYXzJtlSWL-xpDLT2OgPTUZivSjcT7r5-Ar1wy01oCiC03UcelwYYFyWxsSL_-vzO3f-JS4zm1V1tgBEPQULMmw0I4tiWBsHgRQ1Z64nfap9CoDFzyFxM0X0YEc8TEjeO9eJgDenMq5Tv3QOAJsuPE26KOFGvQ3RPC8X-Ex9t5v5ccfY-F_h8KIujbb20I9XExOX-Aiy1Q5hhYzomEjhHN7H91_-O3zUOFWsz5Y1uLWD-QCqiTN7Hh1a063cU7UMMxEWvR9ZOfh3W_LHjIV5Mml9dSKpjnfooQmNj_quSfESFiPQhmUl2AkbrckwIULaJEdw_lABc9yuFn-d2DMpgeDK8IClRgiCx6GRvBV4nJ4DRSkg-eDBy4oVkreim6xXnoRRHDHeUTsFJ32Ip-ZhPuq3k2jZZY98kzGYIgQQyWa7wppaNgxq1KSl15mgR3s5pPXIrBMz631J1of6U_tf90YTru9EIGtjBT0qwDEqxdYqOMi3yfuf9kmBI-_dpys3rOE1cPbc9KPqHpe0mcxvvGssNJUshOMXlTYdaPz4CaUyxNr3Tz4CvNSTvkal9pJHKWOZRp92Eu2rUgmWP1rnrHw=w556-h987-no

So I took the bike for an inspection.... BhcLMIkQvzWMqWIY_jL-yhk2yPzP9GModDixkL4XgnlcRRstrdaKunIw41XR8G4LKTJ22ELfhRVFYS0JvtDEB7tHs6JB4km0Ld2egbBpGu2SvkBYvv9Qpw7SSlRAKDyH0D4u8nph7EMenl22vvShRMb03ywwkrz7XhpFM3TCjzxi-O-NoRLagzmGmn4CR5q3tlkprbuHnNAAwF3bvV4z4FLMP-hNC5IH86kbe1i46J4yPXndVW_rkiEGfRWWftbMBQeLE9wECiBKe_-E4H24VrAqFDYF916zk_6jCVE0GuI8T0uhOqS9_VbbHfNJwZ_XN0dFhmYpikQrCvTGAGtJ9FVVJBOhN6WVbEjCQ7UhXuO6aoSriNMobv43_M5bxG3XO92oJIkYxYiBbjsTew7V4_ZMJSohQMYaN2NWICh93NpcuhOFnvKIm_-S6qD1S-1cHOMGlNwiItXLwM0HRlwuuK8GqVp1utXIW26F-c7wQ_C58m-hpBqKZ4xn9IDx_Y4KbbVOkl2GdaJxsgkAC9PB5zgruv6ED7Zsar_KtKu4eIin79pUE3ahyEU0yovUoDqq-yeM8gmazi9XIFArKBD6m8BpzR8HR1bu-Ro2-AfV7JVQCqGYVgmhmQ=w1755-h987-no

Now to put some miles on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I took the bike for an inspection....   So I took the bike for an inspection.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I took the bike for an inspection....
Page 1 of 1