Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Beware of ordering from Italy

Go down 
+11
exavid
hankster
DickO
ericclapham
cotetoi
Meldrew
Seadog
Bash On!
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
mike712
15 posters
AuthorMessage
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Beware of ordering from Italy Empty
PostSubject: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 12:49 pm

I ordered a GIVI AF-214 From Italy on e-bay.  It arrived broken.  The shipper will send me a new one if I return the broken one.  Cost was 151 Euros.  The return shipping by UPS is $376.00 US.......DUH........ No help from PayPal or e-bay.  It's a good deal if it arrives in good condition but if not you are stuck. elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:08 pm

shop local for accessories for 2 wheelers, Givi direct works in US, too.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 2:43 pm

How was it shipped? Can you file a claim with the carrier? I'd sure press the issue with eBay & PayPal because improper packaging caused the goods to arrive in "bad order" and unusuable condition.

It seems to me that there is an "implied" contract here which warrants that the product will arrive in good order, not damaged to the point of being unsuable.

On a related note, I'm on the lookout for the bottom half of a Givi AF214 screen. What part of your screen was broken?

BTW Who was the seller?

Tim

PS: Please let us know how this plays out. We all benefit from shared information.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 3:10 pm

The Bottom Part.  Beware of ordering from Italy Img_1910
Beware of ordering from Italy Img_1911

I hope you can see the photos.  I am thinking about trimming the other side to match and going down the road.  I don't think it will affect the windshield.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 3:42 pm

The seller was "motoricambi ed accessori" . He is on e-bay. I have contacted paypal and they say unless I return the item there is nothing they can do. I am going to contact e-bay and see what they can or will do but I don't hold much hope.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Dup

Last edited by mike712 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm

[Edited--just saw your concurrent post] eBay should be able to help. See their policy below:
"When an item doesn't match the listing description

If a buyer receives an item that doesn't match the listing description, the buyer needs to request a return from My eBay. The seller should address the buyer's concern and offer a solution, such as accepting a return, offering a replacement or refund.  

If the buyer doesn't receive a response or solution, or returns the item but doesn't receive a refund or replacement from the seller, the buyer can ask us to step in and help.

If asked to step in and help, we review the item description, photos of the item, if provided by the buyer or seller, and any other information about the item that the buyer and seller provide. If we can't determine that the item matches the listing description, if the seller has already offered a return, or the seller's stated return window and policy applies, we may ask the buyer to return the item to the seller.

When an item is returned to the seller

The buyer must return the item in the same condition in which it was received.

The seller is required to accept the return at the same location specified in the listing.

The cost of return shipping is the seller's responsibility. For return of items with a total cost of $750 or more, we require signature confirmation.

The seller pays for any customs charges on the returned item.

Either we generate a return shipping label or the seller can provide a label. We add the cost of an eBay-generated label to the seller's monthly eBay invoice. "
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 4:21 pm

PM sent, mike712.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:09 pm

If the return doesn't work out I'd sandwich that broken piece between two pieces of polycarbonate from Home Depot/Lowe's and use some good adhesive like Plast-Aid (eBay). Under $10 and your screen will look and function better than hacking off the other side.

Plast-Aid is great stuff, but it won't hold up for a butt weld. Ya gotta sandwich that break.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I recently bought a Givi AF214 from Bykebitz (in the UK). It arrived broken in exactly the same place as shown in your photo.

I rang Bykebitz and their response was excellent: they immediately said they would send another out and have the first one collected, and gave me a contact name in case there were any further problems. They then advised me by email that they only had one other in stock, and having checked they'd found that was also similarly broken!

They said Givi UK didn't have more currently in stock and couldn't give a firm date when they'd receive more from Italy, but it might be available the following week. Bykebitz asked if I would prefer to wait or have a refund. I said I'd wait for the time being. I was then notified the next week a replacement was on its way, and the courier delivered it the next day and collected the broken one.

It seemed to me that Givi's packaging was inadequate to protect the vulnerable 'ears' of the AF214 lower screen in transit. In any case you are certainly not alone in receiving these damaged. (I think I have a photo of mine broken if it might help in pursuing your claim.)

It doesn't help you, but I was impressed by Bykebitz' customer service and would happily buy from them again in future.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 4:40 am

Who knows how the screen got broken, I've had a couple of Givi screens sent to me and they've been well packaged and undamaged. I've also had a Biondi screen sent over from Italy, a Secdem screen sent from France, and a Parabellum screen that came from the US, all nicely protected by bubble wrap in sturdy cardboard packaging. It's unfortunate it's happened, but why say 'Beware of ordering from Italy', you chose to order from Europe just to save money, the same screen is available from US suppliers. Others are doing a similar thing, they're ordering Kappa screens after they found out on here it was the sister company to Givi.

You can't really blame the supplier or buying from Italy if the package was dropped or damaged somewhere in transit to your home address by a clumsy warehouse worker or airport baggage handler. The Italian supplier has offered to replace the damaged screen so send it back, and why send it by UPS? Surely there's cheaper ways of sending a package from the US back over to Italy.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:50 am

Meldrew,  You are right.  For all of the reasons you stated, I should have said "beware of ordering from Europe" or better yet, "beware of ordering from any foreign country".  I know it might be a surprise to you but I have checked all return shipping options.  According to the supplier it must be returned with a tracking number.  If you know of a company other than UPS or DHL please let me know.  You are also right about saving money.  That is just what I was trying to do.  Is that so wrong?  I will eat my loss.  All I was trying to do was warn others in the US of the pitfalls they might face.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 10:56 am

Hey Mike712, I feel your pain ! I have had one instance where I did not get the goods thru eBay as advertised, but eBay preferred to stand by and not get involved. I took the loss on a small item, but your w/shield is a major purchase. We are all looking for deals: I shop US for that reason and for the free shipping, it's not a big deal for me, living one hour from the US border.
You might bite the bullet and do the repairs and salvage what you can. It's a bummer, but what can you do?
Jay.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 11:01 am

My Cee Bailey is arriving in a few days: $108.00 Cdn, free shipping to Calais. I got a good deal: 15% off for Memorial day sale and free shipment, normally $25.00 US.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 7:03 pm

Fortunately, my experience with the receipt of a broken Isotta w/screen from Italy, had a happier resolution. I immediately took photographs of the damaged item, sent them to the supplier and they agreed to replace the order on that evidence alone. It did take quite a few weeks for the replacement screen to arrive but I incurred no additional costs. I might add that the reason it was damaged was because the packing was totally inadequate. This allowed the item to rattle around the (large) box it was sent in.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Well, I'll try again... lost my last reply to Mike712...,,,
Anyway... one possible solution "might" be... I saw one of our fabrication people "weld" clear plastic (I believe it was actually plexiglass) pieces together to "appear" as one piece by using some stuff called "MEK" (methylethylketone IIRC). He applied it, as would be in your case, to one of the edges in sufficient amount to assure complete fill and properly fitted it to the other surface and held it in place for a time until the units had "welded" together. The chemical reaction was like magic and any excess just evaporated. Might be worth a shot (if they still make that stuff)...
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:39 pm

I know you said that eBay was no help did you actually open a case with eBay?
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 am

Yes. eBay said due to the fact it was ordered thru eBay Europe that the return rules did not apply. They are asking the seller to work with me. Up to now the last response from the seller was to ship the broken windshield back at my expense.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 am

ericclapham,
That was the same with mine. In a 2' by 2' by 8" box. The part that broke was in wrapped in a piece of plastic. No other packing material was in the box. The upper part was in a box that supported the piece. It is no wonder that it was broken but why would they care knowing it would be cost prohibitive to ship the broken part back.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:45 am

DickO,
Thanks or your help. The smallest amount of MEK i found on the net was one gallon. It was $159.00.
I need a thimble full. LOL. I will try to find some company that delas with plexiglass repair and see if they can help.
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Maybe try calling GIVI USA and see if they will help.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 8:53 pm

If one is in the US I'd recommend ordering GIVI windshields from Revzilla. I received one that was broken in the same place. A call to Revzilla was all it took. They did ask me to send them a picture of the broken windshield. They immediately shipped me a replacement along with a shipping label to return the broken one in the same box the new one came in. I couldn't have asked for better service, the windshield had been well packed but there were signs on the outer box that it had been pretty roughly handled by UPS.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 pm

The solvent your thinking of to "weld" a cracked piece of acrylic is Methylene Chloride.
The commercially available solvent cements my also have some MEK or Acetone in them, but are mostly Methylene Chloride.

The tricky part is keeping both edges wet for a short time while the surface softens enough to co-mingle when joined together, while at the same time not dripping the solvent on the optical surface.

Also remember to not sand the edges before joining as the edge is likely broken in a curve between front and back and the fit must be absolutely perfect if this method is to work.

Good Luck!

If you can get any small pieces of plexiglass to practice the job it will help get the feel for it.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 5:34 am

I have seen the Givi screens on sale ebay from Italy but won't risk it,I live couple miles from Givi UK but still have to go through their nearest dealer which is less than a mile from them they quoted me £120 plus 20%vat.I have bought from abroad many times even USA but never anything fragile
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 2:09 pm

A few other forum members including myself have bought the Kappa Airflow from motoricambi ed accessori without problem.  I paid £88 including delivery.  Guess like most things you buy these days it's the luck of the draw.  Still annoying though.

Den small moped
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Last Post on this subject.  I repaired the windshield by attaching the broken piece using a product called "5 Second Fix' a liquid plastic welding tool.  It seems to be really strong but only time will tell.  I am attaching photos of the repaired windshield.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 2:54 pm

I will Try Again.
Beware of ordering from Italy Img_1912
Beware of ordering from Italy Img_1911
Beware of ordering from Italy Img_1910
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 3:04 pm

If you want to hide that repair, you could cover the Airflow winglets with adhesive backed silver or black reflective sheeting. I covered both sides of my winglets around about installation time.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Good Idea. Where did you get the tape?
Back to top Go down
cooperthebeagle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 11:38 pm

Sorry to hear that this occurred.

Have you tried contacting Ebay Italy?  Sounds like Ebay USA is trying to pass the buck without helping you much - would have thought they would provide contact info at Ebay Italy to help you out.  Sounds like they have concluded that since the seller is not in the USA then you are on your own.  Nice business model (not).  

The following is intended to be helpful, if others do decide to purchase overseas as the original poster did.  Not being critical of anything the original poster did. Just pointing out a few tips that might mitigate a similar outcome.

A good plan is to have the seller insure the item via the shipper's own insurance.  Get that is writing if not part of the original listing.  By doing this you modify the terms in your favor - now the shipper is on the line for damaging and they will be responsible.  We hope.  Given that you may be dealing with a shipper who only speaks the native language, then that is another problem.

Might also want to check with the shipper's US office to see how you would file a claim if you were to pursue a purchase before making the purchase .  Might also require calling the local (Italian, in the case) office of the shipper to understand how you, the buyer, are protected.

Given the additional work pre-purchase, it might save some back end headaches.  But it might also be more work and thus you may conclude the savings is lost in the amount of time spent to try to ensure you are protected.

mike712 wrote:
Yes.  eBay said due to the fact it was ordered thru eBay Europe that the return rules did not apply.  They are asking the seller to work with me.  Up to now the last response from the seller was to ship the broken windshield back at my expense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beware of ordering from Italy   Beware of ordering from Italy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beware of ordering from Italy
Page 1 of 1