Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ordering from europe

Go down 
+5
Riggers
Meldrew
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
gary c
9 posters
AuthorMessage
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2015-09-21

ordering from europe Empty
PostSubject: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi again. Trying to get my hands on a givi airflow windscreen. All the usual suspects in canada are out of stock. Directly from italy however, they have plenty- at a reasonable price with exchange and shipping. What scares me is other possible costs i could incur. Ive bought from the u.s. before with no added charges. Anyone aware of downfalls to ordering from europe?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm wondering something similar as well. But my concern is with shipping time. I do hope that you searched ebay for a Kappa Air Flow windscreen. They seem to be half the US price of a Givi.

Tim
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 6:56 pm

From italy, your only looking at a 40 dollar-u.s. saving. Ill pay the 40 just for the givi label. Any more and i would re-consider. Still-those under the bed hidden costs worry me.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Call GIVI USA ---they do sell direct and ship and probably have in stock in one of their two US warehouses.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 8:35 pm

John-253 U.S. + shipping-looking at probably 350 cdn. Italy-200 cdn including shipping. Kind of a steep price to ease my worry. 2nd gear in calgary will stock them- just uncertain when( much, much cheaper) . Usually when something gets me this frustrated i say f... It and just pay the piper. Trying to show some restraint and common sense- very unusual for me.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 pm

By the by- givi canada sells them for 249 cdn- i'm boggled
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 10:55 pm

The extra expense of ordering from Europe is no different than if myself or other Brits were to order a screen or some other piece of kit from a USA manufacturer. Very few if any at all Brits will have a Clearview fitted, similarly Cee Bailey's, Madstad, or 7Jurock. In fact I've never read any posts on here about any member on either side of the Pond fitting a screen from 7Jurock. Just like all the other US manufacturers they offer them in custom heights and widths.

Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 4:48 am

Give this site a try for a Kappa Air Flow.....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Outlet-Ricambi/_i.html?_nkw=Kappa+KAF214&submit=Search&_sid=1053276889

I ordered from here and received my screen well packed and saved around a third of the cost of a GIVI here in England. My total cost including postage was £103 (UK pounds). At the moment the exchange rate to US $ is around $1.56 to a UK pound so you work it out.

My screen is EXACTLY the same as a Givi and even has the Givi trade mark hidden under a "Made in Italy" sticker. It took around 3 weeks to arrive from the date of ordering.

Riggers.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 8:50 am

I post a little warning for the less financial-aware amongst us:

I was watching a 'Consumer' programme on TV during the week.
There was an article about a couple in England who had tried to buy goods in the US - a Harley-Davison bike, in fact - for a coast-to-coast trip there.
They were using their Bank to transfer the money.
There was a technical problem in the transfer so instead of being done almost immediately, there were several days delay.
In the meantime, the rate of exchange had changed as it very frequently does.
As a result, they lost almost £1000.

Be aware!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Thought about this for awhile-----based on 60 years of spending money (over 75 new bikes) on motorcycle/scooter accessories, many that did not fit or function right.

#1 Givi adjustable windshield is absolute necessity for SilverWing to ENJOY riding it. Stock shield=too much head buffeting.

Just spend the extra $100 and get it from GIVI US and enjoy the ride.

The GIVI works as good as it gets for SilverWing---On 2 new SilverWings, I have tried Clearview/7Jurock/Cee Bailey, always ended up enjoying the GIVI. GIVI is good stuff. To me enjoying the ride is what is important and not being miserable in all weathers!

Note: what works are Harley stuff/Italy stuff for big frame Vespas and GIVI.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 2:22 pm

John-your the little guy, with horns,dressed in black on my left shoulder saying " do it, do it, do it. I like that guy. The runt, on my right shoulder, makes a good arguement tho. The guy in the middle feels like hes getting screwed.

Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 10:50 pm

I can't help myself but make a comment about the Givi windscreen. I have the fixed Givi Screen (214DT) on my SW and couldn't be any happier with it. I my opinion it looks better than the airflow, it works perfectly for me and I won't have to worry about pieces flying off. Needless to say, it was a fair bit cheaper too!
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 3:59 am

Whichever screen you choose in the end Gary has got to be an improvement over the stock screen. The mystery to me in all this is why Honda never improved it in around 13 years of manufacture.

Before buying a Silverwing I owned a Burgman 650 which, with its large adjustable screen, was a treat to ride at high speed - 80 to 90 mph cruising (illegal in the UK) being easily within its capabilities. The B's massive weight ruled it out for me in the end. However by comparison the Silverwing, in stock form, is hopeless above about 60mph and (is that respect) very disappointing.

After fitting an AF214 screen I think the bike is completely transformed and liberated into a reasonably good higher speed cruiser, sustaining 80mph stretches easily within its capabilities.

I can't speak for other screens but my advice to anyone thinking of fitting either the Givi or Kappa AF214 is to go for it.

Riggers.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 am

Looking at the screen height for both the Givi DT 214 and the Airflow AF 214, the DT has a fixed height of 63 cm which is fine if you're tall enough, but screwed if you find out you're looking through it and have to ride in the rain and at night. A lot of Givi screens are too tall and that's why there's plenty of forum topics and YouTube clips about trimming a few inches off them, which again is fine if you manage to do it right but some poor souls have ended up with cracked or broken screens for their efforts.

Cue the Givi Airflow, none of this faffing about with masking tape, hacksaws, and sandpaper, just a straight forward installation and then a couple of rides to find out the screen height that suits you best. In heavy rain you can add a bit more height if needed, and lower it to get a bit more breeze in hot weather.

Yes one or two of us have lost top sections, personally I found it more of an annoyance than a worry and there's certainly no need for this paranoia about it happening to you, and if you are then do something about it. Apart from two top sections, over the years I've lost two Throttle Rockers, a plastic press on km/miles converter, and a Helix silencer heat shield out on the road, unfortunately **** happens.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 am

Guys......Just to add a little bit of info to this topic. I ordered a Kappa Airflow through Ebay from a seller in Italy on Oct 10th and it arrived today Oct 19th. What fantastic service and very fast delivery and it only cost £86 including delivery. I can highly recommend this seller. Can't wait to get it fitted and give the bike a spin.

Den
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 7:26 am

What was the site?
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 8:37 am

Am I being unreasonable? Just spent 10 minutes talking to cust. service at e-bay about import/custom charges that are possible when purchasing from italy andimporting to canada. There response was to phone customs and find out-they did not have that info. Ive gone online to research this and dont find it an easy read at all. Such a huge organization with sellers and buyers from all over- yet, what you agree to pay might not be the end story. Im lazy, sure, but when i click that pay now button- i want that to be the end of my part. Im getting to be a very grumpy old man.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 am

I think being in the UK it's easier for us buying from other EU countries. I didn't have any other charges extra to what I paid for the screen. Here's the site http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Outlet-Ricambi?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Den
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 9:54 am

terrier wrote:
I think being in the UK it's easier for us buying from other EU countries.  I didn't have any other charges extra to what I paid for the screen.  Here's the site  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Outlet-Ricambi?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

That site isn't at all easy to negotiate, but thank you for posting it. 

There are several Italian sources for Kappa windscreens showing on US eBay. Do you recall the source for your KAF214 screen?

Tim
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 10:11 am

Yes, I got mine from the above link that I posted. Only 9 days from ordering to delivery. Of course that's in the EU so to the US may be different.

Den
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
ordering from europe 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 11:18 am

I have had both the DT214 and the AF214. Without doubt, the AF is superior, but it costs more.

With the DT, I was looking through the top edge of the screen. Around town it was no problem, since I could look over the top. On the open road, I had a seat cushion that I had purchased At Wal-Mart that provided improved riding at both ends. It provided just enough increase so that I was looking over the top of the screen.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Just ordered a givi 214 from italy( only place i could find one) 206 cdn-inc shipping. Checking on-line with customs the worst case scenario is 29.95cdn duty and 9.95 for cda post. So- besides maybe longer shipping time, transit risks and maybe paying the few extra bucks- looks to me like a good deal. Wouldve waited around for a more " local" supplier but givi usa says it will be 1-2 months for the backorders. Not much lee time if i want to leave in jan. What an ordeal-i know its not over yet and there might be more consequences( pls dont tell me them) i just want it over. Will let you all know the final outcome. Whew
Back to top Go down
Riggers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 3:43 am

If you ordered on e.bay from 'outlet-ricambi' you shouldn't have a delivery problem. Mine took around 10 days to arrive here in England (admittedly we're a bit nearer), but there weren't any snags or nasties.

Good luck! :-)
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 4:12 am

Just watched a you tube video on its installation. Is it as complicated as he made it look? He removed the whole front cowling section with some very tricky manouvers. Looked for a post that might help-will keep looking. Have you installed yours-tips are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 5:35 am

Found pictorial-looks pretty simple-cant wait
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:28 pm

gary c wrote:
<> Not much lee time if i want to leave in Jan<>
You're riding from Canada in Jan? Or are you going to incur the wrath of our Mr Grinsel and other purists here and trailer your SW somewhere? 

Where ya goin', huh, huh, where ya goin?

Tim
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Trailering to san diego area, riding into baja
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 2:56 pm

Mr Grinsel replies: Riding out of Canada in Jan. not fun but can be done, 2 days and you are into warm stuff. slippery=does a lot for good riding skill/technique, could make you well prepared for Baja. I've started Daytona trip several times from N Wisconin.

Danger I see from trailer bikers: they are not warmed up/practiced for what can be difficult ride on scooter.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
ordering from europe 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2015 5:49 pm

gary c wrote:
Found pictorial-looks pretty simple-cant wait

Bubba's famous last words: "Shoot, that don't look hard." Smile

Seriously, I have found that while looking at the pictorials is helpful, reading others comments in the post often alerts me to problems and solutions that were found. Good luck with your installation.

Me and Bubba did it, so anybody should be able.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Just received my airflow windscreen. Had to pay 17.50 import duty. So 224 cdn total and only 2 week delivery- I'd say a good deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ordering from europe   ordering from europe I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ordering from europe
Page 1 of 1