Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Final Drive Oil

Go down 
+26
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
forkthem2002
GHM-PM
rollsroyce250
Dimond
pauldeere
model28a
Silverwing28681
RickV
AAAA
JeffR_
Ishkatan
JamieB
arquesf
DaveR
GaryL
MaxB
bigbird
Slick-Tenn
sw2009
honda_silver
thomphoto
JeffR
Cornishman
chieninhouston
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
chieninhouston
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chieninhouston

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-09-04

Final Drive Oil - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Spent sometimes reading the owner's manual of my 2008 Swing. Not able to find the recommended oil, the changing intervals, and the quantity required for the final drive.

I understand this question may have been asked a lot. But this poor soul really wanted to know. Thank you.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
forkthem2002
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm

I am new to this form, but don't think I fooling. But I just changed my Final drive oil. I stopped when it started to run back out. I put the plug back in and road off. Why try to over fill it. Didn't Honda figure that part out for you. Do you guys over fill you oil all so is this some Silver Wing thing. How often do you change the final drive oil. Do I go by the book. Thanks Tony the C.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

GHM-PM wrote:

"Um, just a question.  If you fill the final drive until oil weeps out the filler hole...how do you overfill it?"

I saw someone fill the final drive with a squeeze bottle like you see in a restaurant with a tube that fit snug in the filler hole. When he pulled the tube out oil came running out. He could have put the plug in before it drained down level to the fill hole. If the oil was foamy wouldn't it have gotten foamy even if it was not overfull?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I think this has gotten WAY too complicated for such a simple operation... No 
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 am

You could always measure the exact amount of recommended oil it takes to fill the final drive; 230 mL IIRC, or just fill it very slowly with the squeeze bottle or pump until oil just starts to ooze out of the filler plug hole. Then let the excess drip out for a few minutes and your level should be perfect. Just make sure the bike is on the centre stand, and is level. I have run both hypoid gear oil and engine oil in mine, and never did I get any foaming.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 am

Hey Jeff. Thanks for the PM. I can receive PM's but the admin has prevented me from sending them. If you could unlock that, then I can respond. I'm not sure how or why I've been reinstated, but it appears I have been.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am

bigbird wrote:
Hey Jeff. Thanks for the PM. I can receive PM's but the admin has prevented me from sending them. If you could unlock that, then I can respond. I'm not sure how or why I've been reinstated, but it appears I have been.
Evidently the rest of us peons aren't allowed to PM you Terry, but, Holy Crap!, it's nice to see you back.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Evidently the rest of us peons aren't allowed to PM you Terry, but, Holy Crap!, it's nice to see you back.

Tim
Hey, thanks Tim.
Maybe a hiatus was the best thing that could have happened to all parties concerned.
Since the demise of that other forum, which is another story altogether, I feel the need to help Swing owners again if I can.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Hello bigbird,

Welcome back, I'd kill the fatted calf if I had one! Smile 
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 pm

bigbird wrote:
I feel the need to help Swing owners again if I can.
Yes you can! And welcome back Bigbird. I was amazed to see your post that it was not 'X'!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Hello bigbird,

Welcome back, I'd kill the fatted calf if I had one! Smile 
Thank you Meldrew. I don't know how or why my account was unlocked, no one contacted me, I just tried to log in, and presto!
If my account remains unlocked I will try and contribute, of course with an attempt at humour injection where possible. I won't fall into the trap of allowing myself to be baited again, despite my affection for fishing. As stated before, I'll leave it up to JeffR to be the expert at placing his minnow on the hook Laughing

It appears my ability to send pm's has returned, so I'll leave this topic back to where it's supposed to be, final drive oil.

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Be sure to wait a LONG time for the overfill to drain out. Not sure if it hurts to have a bit more than necessary in the tranny - but I always wait for it to drain out. Like Bigbird - I measure what I put in and add a little so some has to drain out.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 5:41 pm

A bit too much oil in the final drive gears won't hurt. No need for it but it won't hurt. Hypoid gear oil is what's called for and in 80/90 weight if I remember right. Not critical. I use a oil pump can I bought inexpensively at Harbor Freight. Just stick a thin piece of vinyl tubing on the snout and measure the amount of oil into the pump can. You want a piece of tubing thin enough so that it doesn't block air from getting out as you pump oil in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-flexible-spout-oil-can-1113.html

I use a lot of Harbor Freight's odd stuff, I'm not pushing their business but it's a very handy place for inexpensive tools that are sufficient for most non-professional use.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 6:37 pm

exavid wrote:
Hypoid gear oil is what's called for and in 80/90 weight if I remember right. Not critical.
Actually engine oil is called for in the owner and shop manuals for the final drive, not hypoid. The reason is supposedly that hypoid contains materials that will degrade the seals, engine oil does not.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Yep, you're right. Was apparently thinking about the GW. Too many vehicles around here. I looked in my book and see that I used DELO 400 which is what I use in most everything around here from the Ford Triton V10 to the lawnmower.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:29 pm

exavid wrote:
Yep, you're right. Was apparently thinking about the GW. Too many vehicles around here. I looked in my book and see that I used DELO 400 which is what I use in most everything around here from the Ford Triton V10 to the lawnmower.
Sorry to be off topic here but I just bought an F350 Triton V10.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:46 pm

One thing I have noticed is if I change oil and filter I have just the right amount of oil left to change the final drive. Cool
Back to top Go down
drewsieboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 7:37 am

Welcome back bigbird your articles will be gratefully received, i always think a little controversy is a very helpful aid to encourage all ideas to come to the fore, long live free speech and a pox on political correctness. By god i feel better having got that off my chest. pip pip.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 5:41 pm

drewsieboy wrote:
Welcome back bigbird your articles will be gratefully received, i always think a little controversy is a very helpful aid to encourage all ideas to come to the fore, long live free speech and a pox on political correctness. By god i feel better having got that off my chest. pip pip.

Thank you drewsieboy. I appreciate the vote of confidence.
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Nice to see you back Terry.
Looking forward to your help on all technical matters.
You are a valuable asset to this discussion board.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil   Final Drive Oil - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 9:54 pm

old fart wrote:
Nice to see you back Terry.
Looking forward to your help on all technical matters.
You are a valuable asset to this discussion board.

Thanks, fart.
Go Jets Go this Tuesday, at the Oiler's expense. cheers 
Back to top Go down

Final Drive Oil
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2