Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 2:56 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Steering stem nut tool

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
The Bern

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool Empty
PostSubject: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 5:11 pm

As title, pictured with metric dimensions (but with imperial added into text), mine is made from a handy piece of galvanized scaffold tube.
First of we need the critical nut dimensions, thickness (which gives us the tooth length (0.2150") ....

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0257_zpsb7cac676

Tooth width (0.2455")

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0267_zpsbdd6e15c

Major diameter (1.809")

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0254_zps7aa2a98c

Minor diameter (1.6075")

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0256_zps2fda557a

Easiest method is use a broad tipped permanent marker to coat a wide band around one end, scribe a line to show tooth depth, then place the ring nut on top & scribe the teeth, cut the sides of the teeth with a junior hacksaw

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0258_zps19360d15

Now grind/file the spaces down to the marked line

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0260_zps9e074890

Overall length of the tool is (6.5")

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0274_zpsbad4f530

The reason for it being so long is so that the "tommy bar" does not foul the tupperware, when drilling the tube for the bar it is necessary for the hole to be offset .375"

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0288_zps45a6b7da

This is to allow clearance for the drive extension when torquing the top nut

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0285_zps87f1abdd

My "tommy bar" is a handy piece of 1/4" diameter stainless steel rod 9" long

Stem nut tool with octagonal top nut socket inside, viewedfrom below

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0287_zps103d48e8
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Wow, nice DIY tool, Bern. Is that the official Honda nut socket peeking out from the lower in the last picture? If so, is that some kind of cut or relief gap showing at the 9:00 o'clock position?

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks Tim Smile that is my home made socket that I have just finished the write-up on here ..octagonal socket

That at 9 o/clock is a shadow caused by the tooth (bad lighting & photo technique)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 6:49 pm

When I first took the top nut off I used the already mentioned welding together two sockets method, being an ex-motor mechanic I have a good selection of sockets, but they are a bit old fashioned in that they are "shoulder drive" & only get a very small contact area with the octagonal nut

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0281_zps70643ba7

The modern "flank drive" have a much better contact area

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0282_zps80c42a56

As I had already welded up the sockets (don't laugh)

steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool DSCF0248_zps87f000ee

I got around the small contact area problem by putting a dob of weld between two of the teeth in the socket, since making the octagonal socket I have filed out the weld so the socket again fits standard 32mm hexagon nuts
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Regarding this stem nut tool: Did the piece of scaffolding tube just happen to be the same internal diameter as minimum diameter required for the teeth cuts, or did you machine the i.d. to fit the size requirement?

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Just a happy coincidence Tim Smile My idea behind making the tool in this way was to show that no "special"/machine machine tools would be needed to fabricate an acceptable tool, this & the socket that was recently found by our friend from Arizona should make the job "a breeze" Smile

EDIT: It was trouble1100 in this thread .. https://www.silverwing600.com/t7786-steering-stem-socket
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks again, Bern. Unfortunately, Ron's Sunex 2804ZD, 32mm, 12 point deep socket is only good for the jam nut, not the 4-pin spanner nut. Oh well, looks like I'll be doing the drift punch or shock spanner tool trick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Sorry Tim. that was bad grammar on my part, what I meant was my tube tool to be used in conjunction with Ron's deep reach socket.
Back to top Go down
DodgetheRog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DodgetheRog

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 am

I'm in the process of replacing my head bearings and am stuck at this point - no tool to tighten that 32mm nut. I may be able to cobble someting together that'll do.

With regards to the 4-pin spanner nut - does that need to be tightend to any specific torque (I can drift it tight if that's all it needs) or is it just the 32mm one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.krfitness.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem nut tool   steering stem tool - Steering stem nut tool I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering stem nut tool
Page 1 of 1