Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket Empty
PostSubject: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Lathe owner/access desirable or a nearby engineering shop, made from a piece of mild steel thick walled (bushing) tube, outside diameter to suit inside diameter of your stem nut tool x 3" long, bore through 32mm (1.26"), counter bore 34.5mm (1.359") leaving a "land" of the original bore approx 10mm (0.393").
After machining place the "blank" in a bench vice with the "land" facing upwards, colour the end with a marker pen, place the nut  on the blank & scribe around.
With a small pillar file (5/32" chainsaw file is ideal) cut down to the points, now with a small flat file (chainsaw ripper file is ideal) cut the flats, after filing operations test the fit of the nut, do any fettling to achieve a good fit then weld a 1/2" drive socket on the plain end.

Width of flats (0.532")

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket DSCF0296_zpsbc1f4bef

Width between flats (1.266")

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket DSCF0294_zps6fb78fb3

Width between points (1.362")

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket DSCF0293_zpsb307ba49

Nut in socket

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket DSCF0261_zps3abf0392

Finished article

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket DSCF0261_zps3abf0392
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:03 am

Thank you again for showing us your amazing craftsmanship. I sure wish I had machine shop access and the skills to fabricate tools, etc the way you can. I'm envious.

Here is a link to the Italian SW forum with plans for a DIY clutch bell installer. Given your resources you might like the challenge of making this, most elusive, tool:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.swci.it/forum/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dswci%2Bsilverwing%26client%3Dsafari%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D671

And here is a link from the same site for constructing a clutch bell removal tool:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.silverwing.it/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dswci%2Bsilverwing%2Bitaly%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D671

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Thank you for your kind words Tim Embarassed If you can get a shop to machine the blank,filing the flats only take 1/2 hour or so.

Those look like a winter project Smile Fine pitch internal metric screw-cutting on an old imperial lathe sounds like fun

Speaking of things on SWCI, over the weekend I plan to do the front wheel double bearing "conversion" ( http://www.silverwing400.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=83 ), the bearings need changing anyway & I'm hoping that doubling them up will help spread the shock loads & thus bearing wear from the vast amount of pot holes we have on UK roads.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 pm

The Bern wrote:
<>Speaking of things on SWCI, over the weekend I plan to do the front wheel double bearing "conversion" ( http://www.silverwing400.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=83 ), the bearings need changing anyway & I'm hoping that doubling them up will help spread the shock loads & thus bearing wear from the vast amount of pot holes we have on UK roads.

I'd considered doing that as well, but  adding an additional bearing to each side eliminates the existing seal. Even with that axle seal and the sealed bearings I have still had two bearings fail due to water (and I suppose road salts) getting past the seals and contaminating the bearings.

It seems to me that, given the reports of the winter road conditions in the UK, that having the bearings exposed will certainly encourage a bearing failure

Maybe the winter road treatments in Italy are more bearing friendly.

Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Interesting point Tim, I shall think on a bit more about a way to do an axle wiping seal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 4:49 pm

I think I got it nailed Tim Wink will get some pic's up after its fitted
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 10:50 am

I must be a bit thick wheres the access to the steering stem top nut ? My steering is a might to easy will nipping up STN stiffen it a bit.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Remove the handlebar cover(s), remove the handlebar, remove the "handle post" clamp.  You'll need a special socket to fit that nut --it's octagonal.

Check eBay for a "Sunex 2804zd 1/2" drive 32mm 12 point Deep spindle nut socket"

Once you've removed that octagonal lock nut you'll need to tighten the stem bearing nut with a spanner tool.

Tim
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 3:57 am

Many thanks C_J couldn't find in th SW Shop Manual I would have been searching forever , don,t need to buy socket gotta pal who was an AA man he's got the lot will be able to borrow one . If not there are more reasonably priced sockets on ebay for what expect will be a one off job. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 3:47 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The Bern wrote:
<>Speaking of things on SWCI, over the weekend I plan to do the front wheel double bearing "conversion" ( http://www.silverwing400.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=83 ), the bearings need changing anyway & I'm hoping that doubling them up will help spread the shock loads & thus bearing wear from the vast amount of pot holes we have on UK roads.

I'd considered doing that as well, but  adding an additional bearing to each side eliminates the existing seal. Even with that axle seal and the sealed bearings I have still had two bearings fail due to water (and I suppose road salts) getting past the seals and contaminating the bearings.

It seems to me that, given the reports of the winter road conditions in the UK, that having the bearings exposed will certainly encourage a bearing failure

Maybe the winter road treatments in Italy are more bearing friendly.

Tim

Have you ever tried using ACF 50 grease?
I was introduces to their products on the honda blackbird site a few years ago. Many owners use the oil that can be put onto polished alloy to stop it corroding with all the salt we have here in the UK.I tried it and found that a small application in Autumn (wipe on, leave overnight, wipe off) would protect my bike all winter! At a trade show I saw their grease which they say it can be used in boat launching trailers going into sea water and still protect the bearings. I bought some and have never had to replace a wheel bearing since on any of my bikes for the past 6 years.
I work with a lot of kids teaching whole classes to play trumpet and other brass instruments, I started using this grease on the tuning slides a few years ago and have had equally as good results.
ACF50 seems to inhibit corrosion on Steel, Brass, Copper, Niickle and alloy. I'm not sure if you can get it over in the states but seeing as it was initially made for PanAm to keep their shiny alloy aeroplanes sparkling I would expect you can.
It is quite expensive but a little goes a long way!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 pm

ACF 50 Grease isn't all that expensive but the shipping charge from the UK is about the same as the product. Either the small tube or the 16 oz can, same shipping charge.

Is the product so good that I'm going to toss away my lithium grease?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 1:42 am

If you look on your US eBay site, you'll find there's lot's of UK suppliers of ACF-50 grease offering free postage/shipping.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 am

Try it and see Tim its all i use now except for Red Silicon grease on the hydraulics. The liquid is brilliant too and in my opinion much better than WD40!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering stem top nut octagonal socket   Steering stem top nut octagonal socket I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering stem top nut octagonal socket
Page 1 of 1