Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Today's drive belt experience

Go down 
+2
bigbird
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Today's drive belt experience Empty
PostSubject: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 pm

At 21,500 miles on original belt on return from AK=time to change drive belt---past experience rather than 16,000 I find 20,000 miles ok.

As there were/are some rear end oil leaks,,possible warranty, I let local trusted dealer do it----belt bought from him/rollers and sliders, too.

Belt changes/rollers and sliders replaced All works ok now. no oil drip so far.

Old belt measured one inch, just under the 1.06 Honda calls service limit. Looks in good shape, will be carried as spare. Old roller/sliders look ok, but new installed.

NOTE: my bike new leftover 2013, miles put on in 8-9 months of use. Also got 20,000 miles out of my last Burgman400 belt....but warranty replaced trashed parts----Honda no other drive line parts required.

I would not try the 20,000 miles with old/older scooter especially with unknown maint.history

Further I noticed no RPM/performance/mpg drop at end of belt life

Now with over 300,000 mile rubber band drive experience and only one belt broken underway---- Ithink good thing to follow makers recommendation, especially if you do not put lots of miles on quickly
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:10 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I let local trusted dealer do it----belt bought from him/rollers and sliders, too.

Belt changes/rollers and sliders replaced

John, I believe your variator uses rollers, unless you've replaced them with Dr. Pulley sliders. You can't use both at the same time.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

bigbird he may be referring to part #1. Smile
Today's drive belt experience 0_0Today's drive belt experience 1_0
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 7:06 pm

it has sliders
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:04 am

How many hours labor does a dealer charge for the belt + rollers/sliders? I'm curious if you don't mind answering.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:32 am

model28a wrote:
bigbird he may be referring to part #1.  Smile
Today's drive belt experience 0_0Today's drive belt experience 1_0

The part referenced are called "slides" not "sliders" .... and while we are on the subject, don't order them from Dr. Pulley. The ones I received did not fit correctly and made the ramp plate hang up. I reused the stock slides that showed no wear at 15k on the clock.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am

trouble1100 wrote:

The part referenced are called "slides" not "sliders" .... and while we are on the subject, don't order them from Dr. Pulley. The ones I received did not fit correctly and made the ramp plate hang up. I reused the stock slides that showed no wear at 15k on the clock.

When I replaced the stock rollers with Dr. Pulley sliders, the N. American distributor, buggypartsnw, was out of the matching slides. I ended up getting the slides directly from Paul Wu at unionmaterial. He manufactures and owns Dr. Pulley. He sent me slides that fit perfectly. Perhaps it's buggypartsnw that is supplying incorrectly fitting slides?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Dealer charged one hour---$80----I had all of the parts and belt purchased from him. As there were possible warranty issues, I let him do it. Mech had worked on other SilverWings in past, so new issues for him. and this is new bike----cover had never been off before, belt original---21,500 miles
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 12:44 pm

In the information i got with my Dr Pulley sliders it stated that the Slides would NOT fit unless you filed them slightly, this ensured a very tight fit. Smile
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
             "The part referenced are called "slides" not "sliders""

Anyone looking up the parts knows that. I didn't call them sliders, what I said was "bigbird he may be referring to part #1."
It wouldn't be hard for someone to write "belt bought from him/rollers and sliders, too." accidently and may have meant to have said "belt bought from him/rollers and slides, too."
I was only pointing that out as a possible interpretation of the OPs post.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:07 pm

One hour of time for belt + rollers/sliders seems reasonable, particularly if it's done right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today's drive belt experience   Today's drive belt experience I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Today's drive belt experience
Page 1 of 1