Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Faulty fuel guage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Col the Brummie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-08-18

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Hello

Yesterday I bought a very nice condition SWing, a 2002 model with 35k on the clock. On the 150 mile journey home it ran out of petrol whilst the fuel gauge was showing 2 bars. I have since filled it up and the gauge still shows two bars. Does anyone know what the problem is and more importantly, the answer to the problem.

Kind regards...Col
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Probably a stuck float. You might try putting some Techron through the scoot, to see if that helps out.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Given the low mileage and the age it is possible that the fuel level sender unit in the fuel pump is gummed up with fuel deposits. The least expensive remedy would be to use Techron additive in the fuel. It may take a few tanksful but it will certainly help clean off the varnish deposits on the sender unit wiper.

The second option would be to remove the seat undercover, disconnect the fuel sender leads and short them together to see wether the fuel gauge is actually working.

If all else fails then you'll either have to replace the control panel or remove the fuel tank itself then remove the fuel pump/sender unit to either clean the brown deposits off the sender wiper or replace the fuel pump assembly completely.

Go for the Techron treatments --several of them-- first.

I'm sure that other UK members will weigh-in on other product treatments to use if Techron isn't available there. They'll possibly also be able to advise you about the color codes for the sending unit test.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on with this. Maybe you should search eBay for a Factory Service Manual (FSM). They are pretty much all the same up until 2008.

Now all that said, please extend us the courtesy of introducing yourself on the Introductions page.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Col the Brummie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for the tip regarding Techron. I haven't come across that product in the UK. We have a product called Redex which is a fuel additive used to help clean valve seats (I think).

I will do a bit of research and see what I can get. The other options don't fill me with happiness, I must say.

Thanks again.....Col
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Faulty fuel guage 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Your local auto parts store should be able to steer you to a fuel additive. Does the trip mileage work?  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Col the Brummie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 2:45 am

Hello Hi Yo

Yes the trip works OK. And I am using it to work out how far I can go before the next fill up. I have owned plenty of bikes that didn't have a fuel gauge and so used the trip to tell how much further I could travel. The fact that the wing has a gauge but it's not working annoys me. The scooter is in excellent condition apart from this one fault. My Piaggio X9 has a fuel gauge and is pretty accurate. Also, for good measure, when the fuel is low, a red light comes on to emphasise the point. One of the few things I hate about the X9 is its unreliability, hence my buying a Honda. So it is cruelly ironic that the Piaggio has trumped it on the first day.

Many riders get their kicks from fixing and fiddling with their machine, others spend their time cleaning and polishing. I just want to ride the bloody thing, fast preferably.

Kind regards......Col
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Faulty fuel guage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulty fuel guage   Faulty fuel guage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Faulty fuel guage
Page 1 of 1