Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Out of fuel

Go down 
+4
Opalsboy
Skippy
pancho
Bobben
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Hello.
Thinking about to fill the tank full an run to emty to see if the fuel milage is good. And see if the fuelgauge is accurate.
Are there any fuses or sensors that need spesial care when restarting or is it just to fill fuel and go ?
Thinking about injectors and fuel pump.

Bob
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm

The fuel helps keep the fuel pump cool. As soon as mine starts fiashing low, I have three-quarters of a gallon left.

LOL
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm

According to the manual, the warning marker is supposed to flash when you have used 13.9 litres of fuel - full tank is 16 I think???
Back to top Go down
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

pancho wrote:
The fuel helps keep the fuel pump cool. As soon as mine starts fiashing low, I have three-quarters of a gallon left.

LOL

Ok.
That is the reason I asked.
Sekondly to find out how accurate the fuel gauge is.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I have never run out, but I have put 4.1 gals in when on long trips. One thing to do is to reset your trip meter and see how many miles you get.

There is one tip that has been developed here on the forum.... fill up. Notice how many miles you travel before the first marker goes off. That should be close to your MPG. It should be very very close to the miles left before your tank goes dry when that last marker begins to blink. Works for me.
I almost never get that low, but it helps to know when the absolute drop dead point of no return is.
Back to top Go down
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
I have never run out, but I have put 4.1 gals in when on long trips. One thing to do is to reset your trip meter and see how many miles you get.

There is one tip that has been developed here on the forum.... fill up. Notice how many miles you travel before the first marker goes off. That should be close to your MPG. It should be very very close to the miles left before your tank goes dry when that last marker begins to blink. Works for me.
I almost never get that low, but it helps to know when the absolute drop dead point of no return is.

Thanks.
Never thought about that.
Thanks for all input.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 8:08 am

That doesn't actually work though does it? Your not taking into account the reserve fuel.

The fuel tank holds a nominal 16 litres (4.23 US Gal/3.52 Imp Gal) of fuel and their are eight sectors on the fuel guage. According to the owners manual the last sector will start to flash when you have 3.6 litres (0.9r US Gal/0.79 Imp Gal) of fuel left when the bike is held upright.

Which means that each sector indicates 1.55 litres of fuel used (before reserve). Honda recommends in the book that you 'should refill as soon as possbile' without quantifying why - one could rightly assume its so you don't run out of fuel........

All this lead me to think that when I first picked my bike up I gave it a good caneing down the motorway and cracked along nicely at 90mph for most of the time. To my dismay I had to fill up before I had done 100 miles - actually it was just over 90! So, I was (after some quick off screen calculations) getting a mileage return of about 33 miles per Imp Gallon, not great, but not bad either considering I was flying along!

I wonder how that compares with gentle city riding?? I know that Hugo said he was getting about 80 miles to a tank but also admited he had the metophorica led foot as well! When Sal and I went out last Sunday, the bike indicated that it had covered just over 60 miles since the last fill-up - thats all miles done around town and back lane slow riding, the fuel gauge shows two empty sectors. Each sector indicates 1.55 litres so in effect we've used just over 3.1 litres and managed to achieve a very creditable 87.9 PMG.

So, if you cane your bike along, expect a fuel consumption of about 30-35 mpg, but there again if you ride slow enough to hold traffic up you can probably stretch it out to nearer 90 mpg! I think I'll be happy with somewhere in the middle!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am

Good morning (here) Skippy... yes the tip I mentioned does consider the "reserve" of .9 gal that is suppose to be in the tank for the last blinking marker. The first marker goes out after approximately (really close ) one gal consumption. Of course, the mileage you get for that gal is dependent on all the factors of speed, wind , riding solo or with passenger. The markers between the first and the last, for me anyway, do not follow that same pattern.

Lets say you are getting 50 mpg. your first marker should go off close to 50 miles after fill up. The next group of markers will go off at intervals of around 25 or so miles. When the last marker begins its mission, there is .9 gal of fuel left. Do the math.. .9 gal X 50 mpg = 45 miles to empty. If you are getting 35 mpg, .9 gal X 35 mpg = 31.5 miles to empty.

After I have ridden my scooter several fill ups, I know that I will typically get about 220 miles on a tank. I try to fill up when the last marker begins to blink or sooner. But, from experience, I can get comfortable knowing how far I can go if I am on the last marker and I am only 25 miles or so from the next town with fuel.

For my riding around locally, I fill up more often. Usually at 1/2 tank. But for the long distance rides I follow the above pattern. I cruise at speeds of 60 - 65 MPH and do typically get 50 mpg. For those of you that do the 90 mph speeds, fuel consumption is greater. You should be able to use a stop watch for fill ups. Razz

Last edited by Opalsboy on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed the wording just a little.)
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 am

I tried mine out (with a spare one gallon can of fuel on board) and got 40+ miles on the last blinking sector before a few hiccups....then refilled.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 2:19 pm

I have wanted to try that too Roger.... just the gambler in me. Just for curiosity sake... the next time you fill up, really top it off. Then see how many miles you get on the first marker. I almost always, on the longer distance rides, note the first markers mileage. Then I EXPECT that minus 10% to be the final marker range. If you got 40 miles on your test, I expect you should get about 44.4 Miles on the first marker. Of course, this all assumes that you are driving under constant factors.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
I cruise at speeds of 60 - 65 MPH and do typically get 50 mpg. Razz

Just a head's up -- that 50mpg will soon be history. You are going to nearly triple the frontal area, which will have a serious impact on your milage. Mine dropped from near 50mpg to nearer 40 or less. :flower: :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Gary,

Sorry I missunderstood your initial posting Suspect, as I said I thought you hadn't taken the reserve into account and judged the bike to be empty when the last sector started to flash.......

I haven't bothered trying to calculate the mpg on the Quike, as Jon says fitting an extra 150kg of metal work, not to mention mud guards/bodywork will almost certainly have done something negative Sad

But to be honest I haven't noticed that much difference other than she obviously accelerates slower, braking distances have been increased, but nothing other than you would expect. Given the price of fuel has just soared up by 10 pence a litre here filling up next time will probably be a bit of an eye opener!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 4:46 pm

I am aware of that, without that change my mileage would go "0". Fourty sounds good to me. With my ankle like it is, I need the wide rear for help. And I am not talking about the Mrs.
I am so looking forward to getting back to riding.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 12:25 am

I was surprised that my Silverwing really doesn't get much better mileage than my Goldwing 1800. The big wing gets around 40mpg on average an the little wing usually gets around 44mpg. Part of the reason for the low mileage on the SW is that it gets used mostly in town which doesn't help for fuel economy.
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Since i got my new s'wing in July last year I have been keeping fuel records. My best miles per litre are when I travel for long periods on fast roads. I assume that you need to be travelling about 60mph or above to keep the transmission ratio at its highest and to drive without great changes in throttle. As soon as the belts reduce their ratio you are losing out on consumption...if only they made a switch to stay in top or bottom gear. Top gear for economy, and bottom gear for engine braking down alpine hills.
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:12 pm

hi all on my swing i think im getting around 100 miles from full to marker starts flashing would like to see more but life is for living Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Out of fuel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of fuel   Out of fuel I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out of fuel
Page 1 of 1