Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Outside Temperature Gauge

Go down 
+7
Atrick
DonH
CathyN
Pastor Ron
model28a
Old Limey
johnd
11 posters
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Outside Temperature Gauge Empty
PostSubject: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 11:30 am

For years I wanted an outside temperature gauge but never found one that was inexpensive and small enough to be placed on the dash some place and not look out of place.
Well it finally dawned on me that my fish tank had a gauge just like I was looking for. I took it out and held it close to a light bulb and it went up past 120 degrees.
I went on line and found on E bay the exact one for under $ 7.00 (in black) and mounted it on my left glove compartment while the pick up wire went up under the lid and mounted in side the left set of gauges out of the way with it's small suction cup.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Marine-Water-Thermometer-Temperature-Gaug e-E-19-/400548003166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d42857d5e
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 12:21 pm

I once went with a group of riders, in winter, and going up a long hill i overtook everyone as they were going so slow. when we stopped i asked why, they were going so slow. It turned out a couple of them had temperature gauges fitted and because it showed below freezing they were all panicking, i just said did no-one notice the water running down the hill? that told me it was above freezing. Experiance counts more than gadgets in my opinion.Smile 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Old Limey, now that's funny. Laughing Here in Florida I don't have to worry about freezing and don't need a gage to tell me when it's hot.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 am

Why were they afraid of freezing ? I have rode in well below freezing temps over the years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 am

Nope,I have tried to understand this but failed scratch outside temperature gauge on a bike/scooter seems about as useful as a chocolate poker to me,sitting inside a car with the heater blowing nice warm air then yes it might be a handy reminder,but surely on a bike you should be more aware of your surroundings Wink
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 am

It's all about Farkling. And yes some of us do want to know what temperture we are riding in. I prefer to ride with caution. Black ice and and semi frozen leaves are not fun. I personally don't like to ride below 38° unless I absolutely have too. Which rarely occurs.
Back to top Go down
DonH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 am

I too have a thermometer on my scoot and had one on my Goldwings. Not to tell if it was freezing or not (my body tells me that), but I just like to know what the outside temperature is.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 8:48 am

I'm also one of those people that "just" likes to know the temperature so bought a digital fish tank thermometer for a couple of quid off e-bay. It worked OK except the readout went up & down like a yo-yo depending on whether the sun was on it or not so I took it off - I guess the only way is to find one designed for a motorcycle with a remote sensor placed somewhere under the bodywork.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Temp   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:21 am

And that is precisely why I rand the temp wire up to outside of the left gauge on the dash, so it would be in the sun light directly. It seams to work very well in the shade. Laughing dealwithit 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 am

I've got a small thermometer built into a zipper puller on my winter jacket and on the reverse side of it a Wind Chill chart is printed. I've had it on various jackets since I bought in the Eighties, it works for me!   Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 pm

The Piaggio X9 series had an outside-temperature gauge as standard.
It was just another little aid.
Can't speak for the States but the temperature he can fluctuate considerably over a short distance so one is warned of significant drops and be prepared for changes in road-surface conditions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 2:18 pm

So as my last post seems to have vanished into the ethos,do we get a picture of the installation ??
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Temp guage   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 2:33 pm

I am computer e-literate at times but I will take a picture today and see if I can post it here in the forum tonight or tomorrow and see if I don't Rage  :lol!:
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:32 pm

If you go to my picture Album, and look at #212 you will see my outside thermometer.
It works very well and is large enough to see. I have a double stick tape to hold it onto the brake reservoir.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:59 pm

OK. Let the fun begin.
So far, I am having to down load a new program to my computer.
I did not really want to do that.
iLivid Installation is taking for ever. Over 3 min. I am done waiting.
If you want pictures I will try and send them to to you directly, if you like, Just send me your personal email.
GREAT! now it won't let me close the program.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 12:52 pm

I do not think a few of our people realize at the top of the opening page is a place called "FORUM, CALENDAR, ALBUMS, Etc. If you click on ALBUMS, you will see pictures posted of members Swings.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Here's a shot of the one on Tracey's bike. It was in place when we bought it used. The needle does not vibrate and is readable at a glance. It also seems to be accurate with the public thermometers we see.

http://www.formotionproducts.com

Outside Temperature Gauge Img_0810
Back to top Go down
DonH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2013 1:07 pm

This is a picture of the thermometer I have mounted.  The sensor wire is routed through the vent opening that shows behind the brake master cylinder, and I mounted the sensor itself on one of the openings on the front of the fairing. That way it is not affected by the sun shining on it and gives a good reading.

Outside Temperature Gauge 20131110
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outside Temperature Gauge   Outside Temperature Gauge I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Outside Temperature Gauge
Page 1 of 1