Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?

Go down 
+24
Colin B
Jinglebob
ricks2009
exavid
DaveR
johnd
lalee
RickV
MikeO
SCTLVR
Meldrew
DanB
cotetoi
Pastor Ron
dickie
"Hi Yo"
sctr199
Cosmic_Jumper
GHM-PM
surlybiker58
john grinsel
CathyN
Magoo Triker
jdeereanton
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 3:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

What are your plans for 2014?

Anyone planning any big trips?

How do you plan for them?

Kim and I will re-do a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2014.  My aunt will come down from MN and join us.

We will also spend a long weekend in the Hiawassee, GA vicinity.

I order maps from the states and tourism offices to help hone in on sights to see.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

AuthorMessage
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Colin B wrote:
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 Tumblr_lix92wXqKX1qcws07

Lalee, I assume that this picture, copied from your last post, is you trying to make your brain work! If not, it can only be interpreted as a reflection of your view of another member.

Suspect 

Which is it?   scratch 

Come on guys. Every time LaLee replies to a post, John makes opposite comments. As I see it from a neutral party, it is always someone's own opinion and the reader can do with it as they please. I know about the tension between John, and Larry. And that is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Colin B wrote:

Lalee, I assume that this picture, copied from your last post, is you trying to make your brain work! If not, it can only be interpreted as a reflection of your view of another member.

Suspect 

Which is it?   scratch 

It represents my frustration level of just trying to say anything here without getting blasted for sharing my experience.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 pm

john grinsel wrote:
He is going to IRELAND  as I read it, picking up bike or?  and I assume really riding.

I missed that post..... and read the post further down. My bad.

Last edited by lalee on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected my mistake)
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:43 am

lalee wrote:
Read it again.  He lives in Omaha.  He is riding in Nebraska.  He mentions that it is different than Ireland.

It looks to me that he's going to Ireland, but I could be wrong.  Question  Question 

ricks2009 wrote:
My plans are to head to  Ireland in late March.  I have my SW waiting in Cork and will head to  N. Ireland ,  ferry over to Scotland, down through Wales, England, then on to France.  The only firm dates  I have are my Ferry back from France to  Ireland, and the flight home in late April.  We will overnight in  hostels and B&Bs.  I'm trying to pack light, but it is easy to collect a lot of extra stuff to carry along.  My biggest clothing concern has been  getting good warm water proof gloves.  I have a new pair that I wan to try out  in Northern  Iowa this week ( its about 4 degrees right now).  If the gloves work herein March , I  am sure they will be warm enough in April.    
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:12 am

lalee wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
He is going to IRELAND  as I read it, picking up bike or?  and I assume really riding.

Read it again.  He lives in Omaha.  He is riding in Nebraska.  He mentions that it is different than Ireland.  

Larry,
He did not say what he is riding in Omaha. I believe he did post that he was picking his bike up in Ireland, and eventually ending up in France. I have no use for the items your included in your post, but was very interested in some of them. Thanks for your post.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 am

My bad. Didn't read all of the thread.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 am

lalee wrote:
My bad.  Didn't read all of the thread.  

My turn.....

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rocky69
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 4:06 pm

our first trip is from ohio to frankenmuth michigan in june an in july we are headed to the ozarks in arkansas
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Our plans changed we are not going west not enough time. We are headed northeast to New England. Our goal is to get to Acadia National Park, Bar
Harbor, Maine. We planned this a couple of years ago but had to change our plans. Hoping we get out there this year. I was there over 30 years ago in a car. Beautiful country. Looking forward to it on a bike.
Back to top Go down
ricks2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Well, my adventure is finished. I left the US in Late March for Kinsale Ireland. I purchased the Swing site unseen on Done Deal and picked it up in Kinsale Ireland on March 25th. My brother and I rode from Ireland to Northern Ireland, crossed over to Scotland (very cold and wet), down through Wales, and crossed the Channel at Portsmouth England for Caen France. . We headed to warmer weather in Southern France and Northern Spain. We crossed back and forth over the Pyrenees Mountains and made it to Andorra. We came back up along the Mediterranean coast and then split up in Toulouse (He headed east for Mongolia). I headed back to Cherbourg and caught the ferry back to Ireland. And the flight back home to Omaha. What a great way to spend the month of April. The Scooter ran like a charm. It really handled the motorways well, but was a little tricky on the hair pin turns in the mountains and Ireland. After putting on 5000 miles the bike is now up for sale on Done Deal. I don't think I am done, but will buy another bike next year, rather than pay the storage for a year.
Now it is back to my Honda 80 scooter and northwest Iowa.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Fantastic!
Wish I'd realised you were doing the Portsmouth-Caen Crossing as I'd have ridden down to see you off. I'm only 43 miles/55 minutes' ride away from the docks.
Next time perhaps.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Nice to hear you had a good time, you posted about a problem or two you had with your Silver Wing over in Ireland, heavy fuel consumption etc. Did a Honda dealer sort your problems out or did the scooter sort it's self out and run better as you clocked the miles up?

I take it you had no reason to fit or even carry the spare belt everyone thought you should take!  Smile 
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 am

Congrats on a successful trip and a fun time. Thanks for the recap.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
ricks2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Mike 0- I didn't know you were so close- now I have a reason to come back.

Meldrew- The problems with the bike got less worrisome as time went on. I worried a lot the first few days riding a "new", unproven machine. But after about 4000 miles of great performance, the day to day worry disappeared. I did get the rear break pads replaced by the Honda Service dealer in Tralee Ireland. He also noticed a small hairline crack in the brake drum. I never go that repaired and it did not seem to get any worse. I am now getting it replaced since I won't sell the bike with a known defect.

The squeal was caused by a belt that was slipping. One mechanic in Edinburgh Scotland told me it would be 10 days before he could look at it, and it sounded like a big job to him that could take a couple of days. I went to another shop, the guy took a quick ride on it applied power with the brake on (?) and what ever build up was on the belt was removed. I don't know if this is a recommended procedure or if it could have caused permanent damage. But I could have kissed the mechanic since I was back on the road- squeal free, for no charge. He even bought me a cup of hot coco.
The gas mileage was never a problem, more of just a surprise. I bought an plastic 5 liter can to carry along in case finding gas was a problem ( Easter day in France!!)

I also dropped the bike at one point and did a little damage to the plastic. But given that it is a 12 year bike with lots of city wear and tear on it- I was not too concerned.

I started off with a lot of confidence in the Swing, and by the time the trip was over was even more confident. The thing is a beast. And I would do the trip again. Bu wait for a little warmer/dryer weather. October in Spain is sounding nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Just got back from a ride to Tampa, FL (from Acwprth, GA). After a couple day rides with our brother and a scenic route back home we had put on over 1500 miles on our scooters (I have a 2008 Silverwing and my riding partner has a 2011 Burgman). Yesterday we had a break in the humidity so we took a day ride up to the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. We plan on going to Snowshoe, WV for the RoadRunner weekend in July.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Armored mesh here in SW Arizona is my first choice. 107F + is common. I could ride to Phoenix - Gila Bend - Yuma as it gets really hot there.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:31 am

Greysilver wrote:
Armored mesh here in SW Arizona is my first choice. 107F + is common. I could ride to Phoenix - Gila Bend  - Yuma as it gets really hot there.

Amen to this! I start tomorrow on a 1500 mile trip via the Goldwing and it will be hot! Going to Killeen, TX and back via Safford, AZ (my son lives there). I have a armored mesh jacket and a cool vest (soak in water). This will help. Probably should soak my head instead...  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2