Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?

Go down 
+24
Colin B
Jinglebob
ricks2009
exavid
DaveR
johnd
lalee
RickV
MikeO
SCTLVR
Meldrew
DanB
cotetoi
Pastor Ron
dickie
"Hi Yo"
sctr199
Cosmic_Jumper
GHM-PM
surlybiker58
john grinsel
CathyN
Magoo Triker
jdeereanton
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Empty
PostSubject: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 3:40 pm

What are your plans for 2014?

Anyone planning any big trips?

How do you plan for them?

Kim and I will re-do a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2014.  My aunt will come down from MN and join us.

We will also spend a long weekend in the Hiawassee, GA vicinity.

I order maps from the states and tourism offices to help hone in on sights to see.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I am going to travel up to Oklahoma again this spring and may also ride to AZ. As for getting ready I just need to pack my things. I can not carry all the tools I would or could need so I just have the tool kit. I go over the Silver Wing and Vovager Trike kit and service every thing. If I have a problem I have towing and tires and belt and simple things can be got in 3 days or less most any place. Just have to pay a shop and stay over, got insurance that helps a little there too. I think this year I will be gone from home here in Florida 4 to 6 months or more. Last summer I was gone 5 weeks and just over 4,000 miles on the wing

Magoo
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Bob and I are thinking of going out to Yosemite NP and points west in June/July. We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. I want to do something special.

We belong to AAA so we get maps and books from them. I go on line for the best MC roads and what I have read in Road Runner, Rider, etc. and word of mouth. Planning is a lot of the fun for me.

We will also do weekend rides. Thinking about the BMW International Rally. It is in Minneapolis/St. Paul this year. Not to far from us.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 6:17 am

2014----49 states----easy in to AK at Hyder.....have done 49 states before...Helix/BMW/Kawasaki.

Failed at2013 4corners of US---last leg to San Diego, ice storm turned me back as I didn't want to waste time in Motel. used scooter for BC/Key West, TU250 Suzuki for Key West. 2014 all scooter either my Burgman 400 and or what ever I buy new in March----leftover SilverWing or Burgman 650 or Honda Forza 300-----Vespa out, much as I like them=no dealers/parts, goofy oil requirements and prem. fuel and maybe fix it again Tony, 10,000 belt life---they were fun when Sears sold them and had spare tires/easy wheel changes.

Camping as much as possible (free). Past experience is up to $30 of gas a day on scooter!

No special prep//Aerostich pants and Jacket/ proper tools for at least wheel removal//Ride On as tire sealant and balance aide,Wal Mart oil----Arthur Fulmer Helmets---cheap/comfortable/balanced so neck does not hurt after long day and rubber overboots. many pairs of gloves including rain gloves. AND of course lots of foam ear plugs.

I use no electronic gadgets, my map is small BMW map book I got with 2007 new BMW car purchase, car now long gone=junk.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 6:25 am

Correction---I used TU250 for Quebec......and since it is not selling, it may be in reserve in2014-----what I don't like about it is NO CENTER STAND!!!! Chain maint., loading up difficult. But it is cheap to run---$15 replacement chains available and I can get over 40,000 miles on OEM chain=lots of oil on chain, at least every 50-100 miles----fling off rust proofs part of bike. MPG 70 run hard, 90 on back roads, reg.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 7:38 am

John,

That's a lot of miles on a single chain . I remember changing mine out at 15k miles on my old bikes.
It's sad that the manufacturers are cutting corners and making center stands an extra cost option
if available at all.

I plan on heading south to Florida on the Gulf Coast this year once the weather warms up,and then maybe up to Canada later on.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I am planning a trip from Arizona up to the Tacoma, WA area to see my daughter this summer. Will then head over the North Cascades road over to Ione, WA to check on our house there. After a visit there will meander back to Arizona in a scenic manner... Will most likely use the Goldwing for this trip but who knows?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 5:58 am

Great plans for big fun.

C'mon, get out those maps and get your fingers working over some routes. Share with us here, it's always fun to read about rides. Gets the rest of us thinking about other possibilities. GHM-PM, the Columbia River Valley is on our list for the near future.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 3:12 pm

I would like to figure out a $$ & Time budget for a trip to Hyder, AK via Glacier National Park. But I just don't know if it's in the cards.

Fall back plan would probably be a 4th trip to Newfoundland --Canada's best kept secret.

Tim
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm planning one of my bucket-list trips for early fall.  Will be heading from SoCal to visit my son in Mankato, MN.  From there I'll head to New England in time to camp with some friends and afterward spend some time in D.C. taking in as many historic sights as I can. From there I hope to head south to do some more camping and eventually work my way home riding the Tail of the Dragon on the way.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 7:39 am

Tim (Cosmic_Jumper),

I would love to do the trip to Hyder, AK as well.  And, Newfoundland is a beautiful area from all I've read and seen of it.  You have great plans.

sctr199,

Deals Gap (Tail of The Dragon) is in a tremendous area for riding adventures.  If you hit Deals Gap on a week day it is usually less crowded, and I think it is much more fun going from NC to TN (uphill).  You are able to use gravity to your advantage.  If you do head that way contact me I have many road suggestions for that region.

Fun stuff folks, keep 'em coming.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 2:34 am

A quote from Larry McMurtry;  " If you wait, all that happens is you grow older."     I commend all of you who are not waiting to take your trips.     cheers    motorcycle
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 3:01 am

Not waiting----working on doing the 49 states (again) Jan 2014 will do TN/GA/FL SC and maybe NC---then longest ride when warm Hyder AK----really just one day from Seattle.

Most important for me is to ride everyday and use bike/scooter for all transportation needs---screw cars----nice/easy on money to buy only what you can haul home on bike/scooter....
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2013 2:05 pm

No definite plans for 2014 for us. In 2012 we completed our goal of riding to all the lower 48 states from our home and since have downsized on the motorcycles. This was accomplished in "only" 43 years of two up riding. Probably just ride the VA, WVA, NC and TN area this coming year but who knows. To me it's the journey and what you see along the way, not just the destination which itself can be great. Our plan is to see what's over the next hill on those less traveled roads. Secondary roads have always been the most satisfying.
We use maps, GPS, magazines, suggestions from others including locals while on the road and sometimes just instinct (flip of the coin) to choose our roads. Enjoy your rides........
God Bless...........
Dick
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 12:59 am

dickie,
If you ride near Asheville,NC give me a heads up to greet and meet
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 7:49 am

Any long weekends?

Extended holiday rides?

I would like to add a GPS (Sat Nav) to my bike this year so that I can take my planned routes and just plug them into the GPS and go. This works well until you hit the occasional road construction.

Road construction is a problem with maps, but the GPS may be more user friendly for working out the detours.

Where are you going next year?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 am

jdeereanton wrote:

I would like to add a GPS (Sat Nav) to my bike this year so that I can take my planned routes and just plug them into the GPS and go.  This works well until you hit the occasional road construction.

Road construction is a problem with maps, but the GPS may be more user friendly for working out the detours.

Dennis B has a super mount designed especially for the SW!!! It works super! Check it out.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 9:25 am

I've always wanted to do the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. It is not far from me, but every summer it seems something gets in the way of doing it. Maybe this year !! If not we have long rides aplenty, up and down and around the province, and Nova Scotia's Fundy rides, Prince Edward Island's roads, etc. All these rides are a long day or overnighters. The group I ride with are all older ( 60 & up ) and we all have health concerns that demand serious planning or ditch some plans altogether. However, we do have great local rides and routes we use so frequently that you'd swear the locals can tell when we'll show up. Only one of us has gone on multiple day trips and gone by himself: if he's planning on going this year, that would be my opportunity to head out to Maine coastal roads.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 1:10 pm

The Cabot Trail is on my bucket list too and nearly went this Fall but my riding buddy moved to Seattle from Texas and sold all his bikes. He also owns a house on the CT. Part of my family also lives in Maine/New Hampshire as I'd love to ride Downeast Maine and thru the White Mountains in North Conway. And of course Acadia National Park is a must see too.

Coming back to reality though my next longish ride may be from Phoenix to East Texas soon as I may buy Scooter Bill's SW that's for sale. It's a 1200 mile jaunt through the Southwest. We're planning a summer trip this year by car to San Diego, Portland, Oregon and Salt Lake City to visit grandchildren as I may tote the scooter for some day rides. 2014 is looking to be a very good year.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Pastor Ron........
We will look you up if we get that way. We were in Boone a few weeks ago packing shoe boxes for Samaritans Purse. God Bless, Dick

Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 4:00 am

Just let me know
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 am

I'm going to Germany, and already have an outward North Sea ferry booked from Hull to Rotterdam and a return ferry booking from Zeebrugge to Hull for later this year. With the dates chosen and ferries booked I can now choose destinations and hotels at leisure.

Once it was phone calls, fax, and letters to ferry companies and hotels, and poring over travel books, maps, and making detailed route cards for the tank or tunnel bag. Now it's just browsing websites and sending a few emails.

I've got a collection of laminated German motorcycling maps of specific areas I'm interested in or have already travelled to. They are pretty useful as they show scenic routes, biker friendly hotels, motorcycle dealers, restaurants and cafés, meeting places, and camp sites.

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Meldrew,

Do you have a destination in mind? I am guessing you will stay in northern Germany? I've ridden some in the Taunus 'mountains' during one of my assignments in Germany.

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:34 am

jdeereanton wrote:
Meldrew,

Do you have a destination in mind?  I am guessing you will stay in northern Germany?

Hi, I don't have any destination in mind but I'm working on it. I'll pick a region, find a nice hotel in a town or city to use as a base and ride off to places of interest. I can't be bothered with packing and unpacking on a daily basis, so I'll travel light and wash and dry some of my kit overnight. I always try to travel light on the outward journey so I can bring plenty of stuff home.

On the return ride I'll spend a couple of days in a regular haunt of mine where I know where there's plenty of bike gear shops in and around the place, revisit my favourite imbiss for a kebab, shop for stuff to take home, maybe take a train journey somewhere, maybe spend an afternoon relaxing in a spa etc.

It's not and never has been just about clocking up miles and I've already been to Germany many times before. I'll do the long days in the saddle to get to a destination but when I'm there I'll be as active or as lazy as I feel that day.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

That ride description sounds great. We also use laundry facilities while underway.

I'm fond of the travel to a destination and set up a base for daily jaunts.  Have fun.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 8:33 pm

I am planning a trip to Death Valley, CA next month but that is with the Gold Wing group so the SW will probably stay home. I try and rotate trips on the two big bikes so as not to hurt feelings  Shocked 

When I head up to my house in Washington (1500 miles) this summer I am thinking that it will be on two wheels... We shall see.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 pm

Hope to do some day rides with Dimond. He's a real trooper. 100's of miles a day and home every night. Great fun to ride with as we're about the same speed and enjoy the terrain.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 am

john grinsel wrote:
Not waiting----working on doing the 49 states (again) Jan 2014  will do TN/GA/FL SC and maybe NC - SNIP -

John,

Were you able to work out the SE portion of your plan. The weather has not been the most cooperative.

Any one else have big plans?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 am

The Yorkshire Dales with theX9OC; not the great distance some of you State-side folks ride but 600 miles there and back plus the rideout while we're thereis plenty on our country lanes.

Hope also to spend a few days in Belgium and Northern France visiting War Graves and other site appropriate to the Centenary of the outbreak of the First World War.

My great uncle is buried in Lijssenthoek Cemetery; I've been a few times:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/14900/LIJSSENTHOEK%20MILITARY%20CEMETERY
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2014 11:27 am

Will be joining BJ Strass for his Rockin" The Rockies Tour 2014 and really looking forward to it. Have been in CO before but not on 2 wheels.

Also considering doing a "MN Border Run" which is being organized by one of our local scooter group members - this would be riding the Southern, Western and part of the Northern border before heading back to home base in the Twin Cities.

Right now that seems more like a dream vs. reality after the 11" of heavy wet snow dumped on us last night - now must be 12" or so above normal in addition to being one of the few places in the world with "below normal" temps this year!!!!

Rick V
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 5:22 am

I booked my accommodation for my German trip a couple of weeks ago, I'm using a bikers hotel in the Harz for a few nights as a base, then on the way back to the ferry I'm going to Aachen a German city that is very near the borders of Holland and Belgium for a few more nights.

As I'm already going on a driving tour to France with Mrs M, then a Mediterranean cruise to Turkey, and a mini-break to Frankfurt in early December, I can quite easily fill in the rest of the year doing rides here in the UK.

Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Mildrew, sounds like you have a very interesting year ahead of you. Important item was planning some of it with the lady of the house. I would love to ride the back roads in Germany especially the Black Forest area and along the Rhine river roads. Just neat places, history and scenery. I've worked in Germany but never had the pleasure of motor biking while there. I did receive a speeding ticket while going thru a small village (camera) on my way to Helbra. It was night time and wondered what the flash was. When I got back to the states the rental car agency forwarded my citation to the company I was working for. I had to pay it.
Enjoy the ride...........Dick
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 pm

I am contemplating a ride down to Phoenix for Mariner spring training and some sunshine. And of course plenty of scooter riding. Two week trip, and camping on the way down and back and staying with friends while in Phoenix.

We have not finalized any plans for the remainder of the summer, but whatever camping trips we take this year will be a little closer to home than previous years.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: LOng ride   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 am

April 4-5-6 and maybe the 7th of  April a bunch of big bikes and little old me are ridding from  Santa Barbara Ca. to Death Valley.
The guy putting this togaher has done it 7 times and knowing him, he will take his Yamaha FRS and do the ride one week before just to plain everything down to the Tee.
I rode with a group year before last and had a fantastic time but only to Indio and Palm Springs always on the back road twisytys
The first day is around 450 miles. Never ridden that far in one day. I am wondering if I will even have a crack left.  affraid 
Scotties Castle is lined up for the 5th with from what I hear and a lot of Tequila, hot tub and gambling to fill in the slow time.
I don't drink that stuff any more but don't drink it any less so the gambling is a no no. :lol!:
Some thing like a little over 1000 miles in 3 days.
Time to show what a little scooter can do and can't wait to show that I am caring, under my seat and out of view,
Jumper cables, first aid kit, extra water, a small tool kit, rain gear, an electric vest, tire repair kit and electric pump and a can of tire fix and a bottle of some thing to keep me worm when I get there.
Let me know if there is something I forgot to pack, because there is still room for more stuff. :lol!: 
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Anyone going to the Sturgis, South Dakota ralley or through the Black Hills of South Dakota? I plan on going that direction the 1st week of August, Lord willing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 am

Hey Rick, your avatar looks amazingly like you're airborne on that SW! motorcycle 
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm

exavid,

That picture was taken at the Freedom Station in Prescott, WI - a start for many of our summer rides into western WI. My 86 year old (young) riding buddy took the pic and then did the editing - it still feels like I'm diving for that manhole!
Rick V
Back to top Go down
ricks2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 11:05 pm

My plans are to head to Ireland in late March. I have my SW waiting in Cork and will head to N. Ireland , ferry over to Scotland, down through Wales, England, then on to France. The only firm dates I have are my Ferry back from France to Ireland, and the flight home in late April. We will overnight in hostels and B&Bs. I'm trying to pack light, but it is easy to collect a lot of extra stuff to carry along. My biggest clothing concern has been getting good warm water proof gloves. I have a new pair that I wan to try out in Northern Iowa this week ( its about 4 degrees right now). If the gloves work herein March , I am sure they will be warm enough in April.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 am

I have these waterproof over-gloves which are also very good at keeping out the wind and keeping my hands warm. Just a thought:

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/REV_IT_Treo_H2O_Motorcycle_Over_Gloves?sc=19&category=167
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:12 pm

"I am planning a trip from Arizona up to the Tacoma, WA area to see my daughter this summer."

Hi, Glenn. I have a daughter in the Tacoma area also and was thinking about visiting her to beat the heat in the Central Valley...101 all the way up, then maybe run through the mountains and over into Idaho or some such...we'll see how the money works itself out...would like to get at least one good tour in this summer...

Also, if you're in the Tacoma area, don't miss Northwest Motor Scooters...good shop specializing in scooters and the staff is very nice.
Back to top Go down
ricks2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 11:26 pm

I finished my "Final" preparation for my trip that starts in about 10 days. I have riden a smaller 80 cc Honda and a 125 Buddy scooter for 30 years and I have a lot of miles over the past 35 years, but never longer than 20-30 miles at one time. So riding a 600 cc scooter for hours a day have been a small concern for me. But I got out last Thursday and put on 235 miles over 6 hours. Riding in North West Iowa is certainly different than riding in Ireland and Britain, but I feel I am ready. The weather was dry but cold ( 33 F when I started). And highway travel should be a little easier on the bigger bike.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am

Hi, Rick. You'll be amazed how easy and comfortable it is to ride a SWing for several hundred miles in a day. Just remember to stop and get off the bike every hour or two, just like you might stop if you were traveling by car.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 12:55 am

ricks2009 wrote:
I finished my "Final" preparation for my trip that starts in about 10 days. I have riden a smaller 80 cc Honda and a 125 Buddy scooter for 30 years and I have a lot of miles over the past 35 years, but never longer than 20-30 miles at one time. So riding a 600 cc scooter for hours a day have been a small concern for me.

Get a cup holder on your bike and stay hydrated.  

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Postpics
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 9:16 am

Riding in Ireland or UK-----professional quality rain/weather gear----several pr of gloves/mitts----rubber overboots seem to work well for all day comfort and warmth.

The time of year not yet so warm......cup holder last thing you will be worried about. Adjust headlite to dip to left. think it can be done.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:13 am

Modify your bike as you wish, and if someone doesn't like your options, so what.... "you ride your own ride."  I could care less who doesn't like my bike.  If it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work.  

Might want to look into a Givi Adjustable height windshield.  Honda didn't provide much wind protection with the stock windshield.  You can see my Givi 214 adjustable in the picture with the handlebar options below.  

I put a cup holder on every bike I ever had.  Coffee in the morning and water in the afternoon.  Hydration is important.  See mine in the picture below.  

Look into some riding boots with ankle protection.  Riding boots have a shank in the sole and will protect your foot from being bent backwards in an accident.  

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? 122_0708_04_z%2Bmotorcycle_riding_boots%2Balpinestars_one_o_one

Mesh riding gear is very comfortable in the summer and still provides protection.  The mesh feels like you are riding without a coat on, however, it does block the sun as well.  Starting out in the morning, wearing a hoodie or sweat shirt under it... as it warms up in Omaha, take the hoodie off.  

There is a bag called the HUMP BAG.  It sets between the seat and the dash that will hold quite a few things that are at the handy.  

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Tunnel1

Ram mounts on the bike will provide solid connections for goodies.  My coffee cup, phone and GPS are at the handy.  My SW is also wired for heated hear, both gloves and coat liner as well.  

Notice the throttle wrist support.  A throttle lock would be handy for long distance touring.

I got all of my ram mounts at GPScity.com.  Yes, the GPS does come in handy.  I wired a socket in the left storage compartment for hookups but I also have a wire for heated gear just in front of the seat, so the wire can run under the hump bag as well.  

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Handlebarsetup

Saddle bags like these below will attach under the seat, over the cargo area and provide additional carrying capacity.  I bought mine at Amazon.com link below.

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? 41Y166TUywL

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RN4FK6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this bag at times on the passenger seat as it has a back rest and is very handy for rain gear and things you need to get at while traveling.  Also at Amazon.com   Find that or similar bags by searching sissy bar luggage.

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? 41zxIX1hf9L

I put a trailer hitch on my bike and can at times haul a small cargo trailer.  I did this in the event my girl friend and I would use the scooter two up camping.  

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Hitch_14

Also, I put a Corbin seat on mine.  It provides long distance comfort and has very nice back rest options.

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? 350_corbin_leather_saddle_seat_for_honda_silverwing_fsc600_scooter_22470978

Also, if you have large shoulders like I do, it is difficult to see around them with the stock mirrors.  There is a simple solution for moving the mirrors out an inch, which makes a big difference.

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Picture

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Tumblr_ll4tfz8RtF1qi6eez

Last edited by lalee on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 am

Cup holders!! Paying attention to riding much better---stop every hour or 50 miles which ever comes first, take drink, etc. Older I have to stop to pee anyway

Try Mesh in 90 plus degree US south=sucks. My Aerostich Darien light jacket much more comfortable at 90 plus degrees, riding. I gave my mesh Olympia jacket to friend in MO as it was unworkable in high temps for me. Mesh in northern Europe in spring is joke....unless you want to freeze and be wet. 100% waterproof bag(s) important-----I think we are taking Ireland here.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 am

john grinsel wrote:
Cup holders!!  Paying attention to riding much better---stop every  hour or 50 miles which ever comes first, take drink, etc.  Older I have to stop to pee anyway

Try Mesh in 90 plus degree US south=sucks.    My Aerostich Darien light jacket much more comfortable at 90 plus degrees, riding.  I gave my mesh Olympia jacket to friend in MO as it was unworkable in high temps for me.   Mesh in northern Europe in spring is joke....unless you want to freeze and be wet. 100% waterproof bag(s) important-----I think we are taking Ireland here.

John,  He is in Omaha, Nebraska.  

If your mesh jacket didn't work in 90 degree weather, perhaps you should of taken the liner out.  Mine works great in 100+ degree weather.  Cooler than just a tee shirt.  

Look at the picture at the heading of this forum, it has a cup holder on it.

Remember, ride your own ride.   Mere suggestions from a Silverwing rider here.

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Tumblr_lix92wXqKX1qcws07
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 11:59 am

GHM-PM wrote:
I am planning a trip from Arizona up to the Tacoma, WA area to see my daughter this summer.  Will then head over the North Cascades road over to Ione, WA to check on our house there.  After a visit there will meander back to Arizona in a scenic manner...  Will most likely use the Goldwing for this trip but who knows?

When you roll north up to the North Cascades and over to Ione, I would enjoy tagging along for some or perhaps all of that ride with you. It would be nice to meet you. Let me know when you are heading that way and I would join up. I am in Lynnwood.... just a few miles north of Seattle.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 1:35 pm

He is going to IRELAND as I read it, picking up bike or? and I assume really riding.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: 2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?   2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 3:17 pm

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride? Tumblr_lix92wXqKX1qcws07

Lalee, I assume that this picture, copied from your last post, is you trying to make your brain work! If not, it can only be interpreted as a reflection of your view of another member.

Suspect 

Which is it?  scratch 
Back to top Go down

2014 - Where Are You Going To Ride?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next