Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Sturgis 2014

Go down 
+2
scoop
Chris Olson
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:03 pm

We were in Sturgis this morning.  We were there earlier in the week, then left and went to Yellowstone and the Craters of the Moon Natl Monument and spent a day exploring caves there.  Got back to Sturgis yesterday and went to The Chip for awhile late yesterday afternoon/early evening.  Camped in Rapid City last night and left there this morning at 5:45AM.  Made a pass thru the Main Drag this morning in Sturgis at 6:30 - the place was pretty quiet that time of the morning except for a few people that looked like they were seriously hung over.

We pointed our Silver Wings east on I90 and turned up the wick.  Pulled in our driveway at 5:45PM our time - 708 GPS miles in 10 hours 15 minutes with four gas stops and the bottom bar flashing on the fuel gauges when we pulled into our driveway.

GPS said 708.14 miles for today's run.  Odometer said 711.6.  My fuel receipts add up to 10.54 gallons.  Assuming it would take 3.4 gallons to fill up again (pretty close I think), my mpg figures out to 50.8 using the GPS and 51 even using odometer miles.  Not bad for a 69.1 mph average speed over 700+ miles.

My wife's bike got almost identical gas mileage, within a few tenths.

Them Silver Wings flat out roll if you turn 'em loose.  And they beat our previous two touring rides - Honda GL and ST - hands down for comfort and leg room.  They could use a little more range but a 1,500 mile per day pace is doable on them even with the stock gas tank.

Grasshoppers were terrible in Idaho and Montana.  I don't know if they call a big bunch of grasshoppers a herd, a flock or just plain damn solid grasshoppers.  But can't even see thru the windscreens on our bikes because the front is damn solid smashed grasshoppers.  The radiators on both bikes are half plugged but they still didn't overheat and we rode them over 1500 miles that way.  Tried to wash them off a bit at the campground in Rapid City last night but they're baked on pretty good.

I wonder if they make glue out of grasshopper guts?  It seems to be kind of the same stuff.
Back to top Go down
scoop
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Was in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons earlier in July with my wife and two grown daughters and could not help but think how great that would be on the SW.Saw lots of bikes while there but no maxi-scoots......glad you enjoyed it and got home safely.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:44 pm

In the parking lot at The Craters of the Moon we saw the only other maxi-scoot that we saw on our whole trip that was touring. It was a white Suzuki Burgman 650 and it was wearing Arizona plates.

I would say that 90% of the bikes we saw were Harleys. It seems everybody and his brother rides 'em. and most of 'em are black baggers of one type or another. If you want to stand out in a crowd the last thing you want to buy is a Harley.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Chris Olson wrote:

Them Silver Wings flat out roll if you turn 'em loose.  And they beat our previous two touring rides - Honda GL and ST - hands down for comfort and leg room.  They could use a little more range but a 1,500 mile per day pace is doable on them even with the stock gas tank.

I can't even imagine a 500 mile day on my Silverwing, let alone a 1 500 mile day. My back is aching after 1 hour, and monkey butt has set even before that. I have to get off every 45 min or else I'm not a happy rider. That's why I'm looking at an F6B as my next ride.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Congratulations on your first long trip on your Silverwings. If you put some hydrogen peroxide on the grasshoppers and let it soak for a little it should soften them up enough to wash right off.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 am

[quote="bigbird"]
Chris Olson wrote:

I can't even imagine a 500 mile day on my Silverwing, let alone a 1 500 mile day. My back is aching after 1 hour, and monkey butt has set even before that. I have to get off every 45 min or else I'm not a happy rider. That's why I'm looking at an F6B as my next ride.

I was an IBA rider for over 20 years. But riding against the clock got old after awhile and I no longer saw the need to do it just to get a piece of paper that says I did it.

It takes training and mental conditioning to do 1,000 and 1,500 mile days. You just don't hop on a bike one day and do it out of the blue. The things you learn when you do that apply to partial day rides as well, especially when you want to ride the pace to make a destination by a certain time. Riding the pace for a half day is different than riding the full 1,500 miles in 24 hours.

That being said, the Silver Wing is one of the better touring mounts I've yet ridden. The leg room and ability to move my feet back and forth on the floorboards to change seating pressure is much better than either the GL or the ST. The range is adequate to give you a mini-break because you have to stop for gas. I used to run 225 - 275 miles on the ST between stops. On the Silver Wing we ran 150 - 175, but always on reserve with the bottom bar flashing. Where the extra range comes in handy is when you make a planned gas stop and then find the only gas station in the little South Dakota town is closed and it's 50-60 miles to the next one. There's not much room for error.

The Silver Wing's stock seat actually sucks compared to my wife's leather Corbin saddle. Ordering one for myself was the first thing I did when I started up the computer when we got home. I don't like these "pads" or beads like some people use. Riding my wife's bike for a half day in Idaho to check out that leather saddle was so night and day difference that I was jealous all the rest of the way home.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Chris Olson wrote: "Grasshoppers were terrible in Idaho and Montana. I don't know if they call a big bunch of grasshoppers a herd, a flock or just plain damn solid grasshoppers."

Chris, I think they just call them, "Oh DAMN, not another one". Either that or, "EWW" when they splat on the wind screen and onto your face. Fresh Protein I guess. LOL
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 pm

We let 'em soak today with warm water and dish liquid in the shade. They came off eventually. Our bikes are due for an oil change so have to run to the Honda dealer tomorrow to get a couple filters. My new rear tire that I put on a little over a month ago is already half gone. My wife's tire isn't quite to 50% yet, but hers is showing some pretty good wear too.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Chris Olson wrote:
On the Silver Wing we ran 150 - 175, but always on reserve with the bottom bar flashing.  Where the extra range comes in handy is when you make a planned gas stop and then find the only gas station in the little South Dakota town is closed and it's 50-60 miles to the next one.  There's not much room for error.

In my neck of the woods gas stations can also be few and far between outside the cities and towns. I always carry a small plastic 5L gasoline jug in my saddlebags when venturing into the boonies. When my last bar starts flashing, I know I have 4L of fuel left, good for 80 km. The extra 5L I carry is good for another 100km.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 pm

bigbird wrote:
In my neck of the woods gas stations can also be few and far between outside the cities and towns. I always carry a small plastic 5L gasoline jug in my saddlebags when venturing into the boonies. When my last bar starts flashing, I know I have 4L of fuel left, good for 80 km. The extra 5L I carry is good for another 100km.

That's a good idea. I think I'd have to add a Givi topbox to do that. On our trip the underseat compartments on both bikes were stuffed with clothes and other things. I got a Givi tunnel bag for my bike which is stuffed with things. And we strap Goldwing bag liners to the pillion on both bikes with our tent, sleeping bags, pillows and air compressor to air up our air mattress.

We camp out when we go touring instead of staying in motels.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Sounds like a great ride! I am ready for a long ride soon. On the Silver Wing I have done 350 miles/ day. On the Goldwing I have done three 500 mile days but that IS what it is designed for... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sturgis 2014 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sturgis 2014   Sturgis 2014 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sturgis 2014
Page 1 of 1