Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 22:47

» I said Farewell...
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 15:12

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 05:05

» LF extended back rest
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 14:21

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed 24 Apr 2024, 09:28

» Drive belt prices
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed 24 Apr 2024, 07:28

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed 24 Apr 2024, 05:37

» Rear shock longevity
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue 23 Apr 2024, 17:11

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue 23 Apr 2024, 12:01

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun 21 Apr 2024, 13:37

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Starting the engine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oltxredneck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Starting the engine Empty
PostSubject: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Oct 2013, 14:23

I have experienced bothersome difficulty starting my 2008 SW when off center stand and side stand up straddled ready to ride. I have to roll it around a bit pulling in "HARD" on the left brake handle several time before it finally starts. Is there any way to disengage the safety associated with this requirement??
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Oct 2013, 15:47

The Silverwing seems to take a little more pull on the brake handle than most scooters. if you think the switch is going bad it wouldn't hurt to order a new one. Even if you find out you didn't need a new one and it turns out you weren't pulling hard enuf it wouldn't hurt to have spare.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Oct 2013, 17:40

I learned that if you don't pull hard on the left brake you can't start the bike. I've adjusted my technique accordingly. I think it is great feature because you really have to be paying attention to what you are doing. In an automatic motorcycle it is good to be reminded that things go south in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Oct 2013, 18:06

Pull in in the rear brake lever and listen for two clicks, the first click is the switch for the brake light closing and the second is for the starter limit switch. If you don't hear the second click the starting circuit is not closing thru the limit switch.
Look at the brake lever from the bottom and you will see a tang on the lever near the pivot bolt that closes the two switches (they pop out to close). If it doesn't click spray some LPS-1 or WD-40 in to the innermost switch while holding the brake lever in and then pump the lever until the switch is free.
Hopefully this will fix your problem if it's the limit switch.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Oct 2013, 00:22

oltxredneck, how long have you had your Silverwing? Is this a new problem or has it always been hard for you to start? You say you "have to roll it around a bit pulling in "HARD" on the left brake handle". You should not be able to roll it around if you are pulling the brake handle. I know you told us your problem and what you want, but no one has answered your question on disengaging the safety switch. The reason no one has commented on disengaging the safety switch is we would rather help fix the problem than disable something that should have. It may help if you could give us a little more information. The reason I suggested buying a new switch is I assumed that this was new problem. Even if the switch was not bad in the end a part that can be had for $13.25 would not be a bad thing to have for a spare. After all the bike will not start normally without that switch.
Back to top Go down
ddhound
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-01-20

PostSubject: 06 SWING wil not start   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Jan 2014, 19:54

I read the various posts regarding starting issues , battery fully charged , put a meter on both sets of rear brake switch contact as well as the kick stand switch . Found no issues . I did however discover the kill switch was the hold up , after cycling the switch and cleaning it out with contact cleaner the switch made contact closure. I also noticed that when the switch ( engine kill) is stuck open the F1 dash light will not come on (illuminate) when the brake safety or side stand switch is suspect , the F1 dash light will still be illuminated .
Thanks for the info , I hope this reply helps others. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Jan 2014, 04:21

F1 dash light? There isn't one, but there is a FI light... FI = Fuel Injection.

Nice Intro post too. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting the engine   Starting the engine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting the engine
Page 1 of 1