Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure

Go down 
+8
Jinglebob
Ofer Rothmann
toolboxjesse
GHM-PM
Scroller
CathyN
moonshiner
buddy19520
12 posters
AuthorMessage
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure Empty
PostSubject: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Just wanted to report the wear results on my Michelin Power Pure rear tire (dual compound) on my 2003 Silverwing.

The tire was installed at 25,012 miles. Today it has 28,275 miles. There is one mm of tread left to the top of the wear bar, and 2 mm of tread left to the bottom of the tread (where I would be riding on a slick). Somewhere on the other Power Pure post, somebody reported 6 mm of tread on a new tire. Not knowing if that was measured from the top of the treadbar or the bottom, this means my rear tire is either 5/6 worn, or 4/6 worn after riding 3263 miles. If the wear rate does not change, then I might get about 3900 miles to the wear bar or about 4900 miles if I ride until it turns into a slick. So far, I am not impressed with the wear rate.

As a comparison, I've had four other rear tires on this scoot. The original IRC went 7400 miles to bald (half of these miles were put on by the first owner), two Diablos went 6100 and 5800 miles to bald, and a Metzeler went 5750 miles (but I did not run it into the carcass like the I did to the Diablos - one time I had belt showing on a Diablo). If my guesstimate on the Power Pure is accurate it will be the worst of the bunch.

I also bought a Power Pure for my 2007 Vespa GTS (a 250cc machine). The wear on there is better than some of the other rear tires I've had on it, but not as good as the Michelin City Grip I had on before the Power Pure. I got over 4800 miles on the City Grip compared to 3300 miles on the two prior rear tires.

I am guessing that either the weight of the Silverwing is too much for the Power Pure, or the extra torque applied upon acceleration wears the PP too quick.

In any case, I will not be buying another Power Pure for either scoot. I see the City Grip is available in the Silverwing size and will use it next for both scoots.

Hope this helps somebody out there. As usual, YMMV.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 7:45 pm

I agree on the PP. very short life span.

This time I'm trying the Michelin City Grip I had mounted today. I got ripped off on the install, but I hope the tire lasts a bit longer.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 am

I have never had a Michelin tire to last very long on anything , on the super bikes I could chew one off in 3000 miles , on the hot rods they were doing good to last 12000 miles , but I still like them for spirited runs , but you would figure on a scooter it would last much longer than that , the swing is the hardest thing on the back tire I have ever owned , I don't know why  , i have seen 1300 cc busa's with better rear tire mileage , and its packing 200 hp and 160 + mph top end , what's the deal ?
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I am on my third set of tires.  I have 35,100 miles on my Swing.  I bought it used with 3700 miles on it.

Original Hoops I got 10,731 miles.  I could of gotten a bit more but we were planning a long trip.

Dealer changed them with 2nd set of Hoops 9,847 miles on those.  Getting ready for the  season.

3rd set Metzler Feel Free.  Rear 12,386 miles wore down to the belts.  Had to replace in small town in MO. We were at BMW Rally for weekend.  Won't let that happen again. Nightmare!  Angel's were looking out for me that day.  I replaced the rear with a Hoop.  The front I changed this spring at 13,578.

4 th set I have the Pirelli Diablo's this spring.  I took off the rear Hoop with 1,192miles on it.  It is my 
backup. I will probablly put it on later this season.  We have a few long distance trips planned.

Bob has had Michelin Pilot 2's on his BMW R1150R the last two seasons and has gotten great miles out of them. 13,000 to 14,000 miles on them.
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-05-25

PostSubject: Tire wear!   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 6:37 am

I hope that what I am reading about the Michelin Power Pure is not typical. I have a set on order and they will be installed this coming week. I won't be putting a lot of miles on the swing just local riding on nice days so perhaps it won't be a factor in my case. 

scroller.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:45 am

Scroller, I guess only time will tell.  As more people try the Power Pure we should have our answer.  I am planning on trying a set in the near future.

There are a lot of variables which means no two people will get the same mileage!  My 2012 came with IRC's and while they are not the best handling, they wear like iron.  Approaching 8500 front and rear and  they still look like 3-4K more on them.  Time will tell.  Keeping an eye on tire pressure will help with wear and handling.
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 am

Right on Glenn, my reason for getting new ones is no  the mileage  the tires have very bad cracks from age both on the sidewall and tread area. Now if I could get  the wheels off I will take them to the dealer the first of the week.  I have been struggling trying to get the swing arm off to no avail and wonder if I need or could use a puller  don't want to damage the rotor by prying on it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 am

I agree scroller, I do not feel comfortable with the whole rear wheel removal thing...  Some say it is a snap others a nightmare.  I will probably find a shop that will tackle it with the correct tools.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am

Rear wheel removal is really easy if you have the right tools. I had the wheel off in 10 minutes yesterday using an electric impact gun, 27mm, 12mm & 14mm impact sockets.Keep in mind that while you need to unbolt the calipers, you can swing away the swing arm without unbolting the hydraulic and parking brake line, and that saves a bit of time and confusion.
Re-installation will take a bit longer because you really need to use a torque wrench.
I've done it at least 1/2 dozen times though, so I have the process down and only rely on the manual for torque specs.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks for all the info, and to everyone else on here about rear wheel removal.

The guy at the shop gave me grief and charged me DOUBLE because of the swing arm. So I'll be removing the rear wheel myself from now on and having someone like Cycle Gear do my tire work.

I have all the tools I need including an impact wrench. Well, I don't have a torque wrench, but I really should have gotten one of them a while ago.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Try Harbor Freight store when they are on sale or with a coupon. I bought 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive for about $13 apiece with a coupon a few years ago.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Question re tire pressure!   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Just wondering what tire pressure members are running in there Michelin power pure tires? The tire installer put the pressure at 33lbs as per specs on both front and rear tire ,it seems to me the rear should be more than the front .  What are your thoughts .

Cheers,

Scroller
Back to top Go down
Ofer Rothmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ofer Rothmann

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 12:27 am

I am running 36 psi on rear Tyre and 30 on the front Tyre.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 am

I only just started using the Michelin Power Pure rear tire, but I have been running 40psi on the Michelin Pilot tires (both front and rear) and it has improved the life of the tire by perhaps 1000 miles for the rear. I happen to like the stiffer ride of a slightly over-inflated tire, and in theory should increase both tire longevity and gas mileage. Attempt at your own risk.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Tires pressure!   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks Guys:  I think I will increase the pressure in the rear and leave the front where it is. We are finally getting some decent weather here supposed to be nice next four days .now if only I could get over my lightheaded symptoms I would head out for a ride to the Lobster capital of the world.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Not happy to hear this. So far, the PPs have been great from the standpoint of grip and handling, but I have less than 1000 miles on them right now and they look fine so far. It's about 108 F outside, so not doing much riding as we speak. When it cools a bit, will be putting more miles on it and we'll see how the PPs hold up.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Where was this thread when I was looking at trying this tire? I am about 2500 miles on the tire and was hoping to get more than the 6k that the original, the Pirelli and Metzler tires that I have tried before, had given me. Has anyone tried Hidenau tires?
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Update on the Pirelli Diablos. I think I have about 4000 miles on them now. Just this week I have rode almost 2300 miles in and around Knoxville, TN into Ashville, NC and SC KY. Mountains twisties you name it and everyday we has some rain from light to torrential. From all day to sporadic. The Diablos handled quite well for someone who has not had a ton of experience in rain. Well that has changed.

Heading home to Chicago tomorrow from Knoxville. Hope it is nice and dry all the way.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 1:46 am

Ride safely Cathy. motorcycle 
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 1:58 am

Got home safely. 577 miles 12 1/2 hrs. But guess what while riding in KY near Lexington we got poured on. We got rained on everyday except Thursday. It rained that day we just happened to be in-between rides.

Rode over 2800 miles in 9 days. Added another state South Carolina. There are so many great roads down in that part of the country. Rode a few new ones. Some dry some wet. Had a great time.Smile 
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Okay, to bring us back to the original topic:

The Power Pure rear tire was trash by 4547 miles. The wear bar had been showing and it wore completely away by the time I had new tires installed. I may have been able to put another 100 miles on the tire, but it would have been a slick by then.

4547 miles is less than I got on a rear tire on my Vespa GTS, a notoriously short lived rear tire scoot.

For reference, I got the following mileage from these rear tires (same driving conditions, same driver, same scoot)

Pirelli Diablo 6100 miles and 5800 miles
Metzeler Feel Free 5750 miles
Michelin Power Pure 4547 miles

I am now trying a Michelin City Grip on the rear (with a Pirelli Diablo front tire) because I had such success with the City Grip on my Vespa. Other tires only went about 3000-3200 miles, but the City Grip went 4900 miles on the rear of the Vespa.

Note: I am in the habit of tossing the front tire when the rear tire is worn. I tried replacing them one at a time, but the handling sucked and the inconveniece was not worth squeezing out another few thousand out of the front tire.

Note 2: The handling deteriorated less with the Power Pure tire than others. I think it retained its shape a little better due to the dual compound rubber. I think for a scooter as heavy as a Silverwing, they need to make the rubber compound a little harder than what they use for smaller scooters.

Hope all this info helps someone make a good choice (i.e., don't buy Power Pures!).
Metzeler Feel Free 5800 miles
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 11:03 pm

After reading all the above, i am confused.  My IRC's have 8500 on them (front and rear) and it appears I can get at least 3K more.  That would put the stock tires (IRC's) at over 10K and nearly to 11K.

After reading all the above I am thinking I should just get more IRC's and call it good Shocked

After reading the reviews for the IRC SS 530 tire (OEM) on line it appears that most people get at least 12K with them. They are not cheap but the difference could easily be made up by expense (labor) of switching them out twice as often...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

two points on this tire thing:

#1 IRC work great on SilverWing, F & R

# 2 Michelin SC last long time for me----same size as SilverWing---on my Burgman 400 current rear tire miles 9,276...probably good for at least 2,000 more. I do own tire work, use "Ride On" a balance aide and sealant, 33 psi max pressure used as tire has max load capacity at that pressure. I tried to order another SC from Dennis Kirk last week----out of stock, so took Metzler.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Different riders, different roads, different riding styles etc. all mean that results from two different people regarding mileage from their tires are not completely comparable. I posted this information so that others could see what kind of mileage one person with a consistent riding style gets from different tires. If I only got 75% as many miles on the power pure tire as compared to the pirellis, IRCs or Metzelers, then it is somewhat likely to hold true for others as well.

I realize other folks get 12000 miles from their favorite tire, but I never expect that many miles from anything. I'd just seen several reports about how great these Power Pure tires were before I'd bought them. Now that I have some experience with them ,I thought I'd share that with the group.

BTW, I keep tires inflated to 29/33 or more per Honda specs. They are always balanced when installed. I just ride hard and wear them out fast; the Power Pure just wore exceptionally fast.

Regarding the IRC tires - they came on the bike stock. i mentioned in my first post that I only got 7400 miles from them and half of those miles were ridden by the original owner (who probably rode more gently than me, thus getting better wear). Additionally, they squared off pretty badly and handling sucked towards the end of their use. They also tend to be more expensive every time I shop online for tires than pirellis/michelins/metzelers.

Caveat emptor.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 pm

My little report on the Michelins.

Bridgestone Hoops 7574 (both replaced)
Pirelli Diablo 6169 miles (both replaced )
Michelin Power Pure 5507 miles (Rear only)

Just replaced the rear tyre this weekend as it measured 1.5mm deep (new is 5.5mm) at the centre, here in the UK the legal limit is 1mm and with Winter coming I wasn't going to chance them much further with likely hood of wet roads. As expected, the handling felt much better with the new rounded tyre how people use a car tyre I don't know...

Virtually all my riding is start/stop commuting in London and that kind of riding is expected to wear the centre quickly. If I ran them as far as Buddy I may have got nearly 7000 miles, as he ran his till the wear bars "wore completely away". But still I've reached the same conclusion that they wore faster than the other tyres I've used.

However, I've fitted another Power Pure since I like to run matched pairs and it might be interesting to see if it lasts any longer in colder weather. I do like their performance but I think when it comes to change again I will put a pair Diablos on as they felt great too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure   Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terrible wear on Michelin Power Pure
Page 1 of 1