Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Changing bulbs

Go down 
+15
rollsroyce250
Colin B
MikeO
GHM-PM
model28a
Meldrew
DarthJ
jmaslak
KurtPerthWA
pjas1969
DickO
tarmacburner2
jdeereanton
tinman
AV-40
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AV-40
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Changing bulbs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just bought a 2008 Silver Wing. Wife followed me home in the car and advised that my brake lights are really dim. I can't fing any directions to access or change the headlight or brake light bulbs in the manual. Is it necessary to buy a service manual just to change the bulbs?
Surely this can't be that diffiucult.
Picure work a thousand words or just tell me how its done.
Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 am

I thought the grumpiness was from all that cold rain making it impossible to smile on account of a stiff upper lip,and riding with no underwear. Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 am

Winger61 wrote:
I'm with Meldrew. What's wrong with being a grumpy old git? Considering what my daughter bought for me last Christmas, I think I'm well qualified!! Laughing
http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/24172453/740459252/Grumpy-Old-Git-Caution-Cone/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315%7Ccat:24172453%7Cprd:24172453&ef_id=MqhQDUnPJg4AAAP7:20130328115352:s

Couple of bits of string and you have a new helmet.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Thank you gents   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 10:36 am

I want to thank all that responded, in the way you did. I sometimes have a way of putting my foot in my mouth side ways and then regretting it. :lol!:

I must say I do appreciate his knowledge and help in this fine forum.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

John, Just send us some of your cheap petrol as a way of showing your appreciation. Best to use airmail as your gas 'goes off' if it isn't used within a week!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

bikerboy wrote:
Meldrew grew up watching Sesame Street and like myself he has modelled himself on Oscar the Grouch, he just let's it show a bit more than some of us oldies!!

You had a TV!...I used to dream of us having a telly, the nearest I got was watching the Lone Ranger in black and white through Radio Rentals shop window. The manager used to come out and bollock me for leaving nose marks on the window! Sad
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 am

I know what you mean. Bin there done that ,stood there for hours watching the image of a indian head for hours before the Howdy Doody show came on. cheers
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:23 am

MikeO wrote:
Sesame Street? More likely Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Andy Pandy and Muffin the Mule! Smile

I must explain to our American friends that here in the UK Muffin the Mule refers to a popular 1950’s children's TV puppet character, not the unusual and probably illegal sexual practice performed on equine animals in remote areas of Western Australia. Neutral

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 am

Next thing someone will name all the non-existent characters from Captain Pugwash.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Next thing someone will name all the non-existent characters from Captain Pugwash.

Captain Pugwash
Tom the cabin boy
Master Mate
Willy and Barnabas the pirates
Cut-throat Jake

(Sorry!!! Wikipedia is your friend, - and I'm sat at work bored witless!!!Laughing Laughing )

Graham
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm

And before you ask -
Pugh Pugh Barney McGrew Cuthbert Dibble and Grub!! Laughing

Dear God please let it soon be time to go home!!!! Wink

Graham

Last edited by Winger61 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Hugh, Pugh barney Mc Grew etc. not to mention Roger the cabin boy
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks bikerboy, edited my spelling.
(You Roger the cabin boy if you want to!!)
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 pm

rollsroyce250 wrote:

The power wattage NOT consumed by installing LED running lights is insignificant compared to running a Swing with the high beam on continuously. As the electrical system is designed for operating with high beams and not discharging the battery, the last thing I would worry about is a few extra watts shunted to ground by using LED's. If your concern is valid, blown regulators would be much more common on Swings running only low beams as compared to owners who run high beams continuously.

The difference is that the regulator is designed to shunt X watts to ground (X being "base load without high beams but with normal other load plus a safety margin"). If you turn on high beams, you have a load on the regulator of something less than X, so you're still fine. If you lower your base load, however, you are using up some, all, or more than all (I couldn't tell you which) of the safety margin. Not something I'd want to do.

But, yes, if you replace your running lights with LEDs and then run with high beam on, you're probably fine. But if you don't, you're going to generate more heat than that part was designed for.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 1:15 am

Who rogered the cabin boy?

BTW Meldie, It's called animal husbandry and I believed it was developed during the middle ages in England when the gentry tried to make the horses more intelligent than their serfs. Unfortunately it made the horses act like toffs and wasn't really a success and then they had to marry the horses off to the serfs to bring the intelligence levels to an acceptable level for both the horses and the serfs. Ever wonder why some English have long drawn out faces, when in fact they are generally of Saxon backround.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 am

Well Kurt, that explains it all then. However the toffs were all Normans so that means these continental "French" practises were imported & forced upon those of us who were living in blissful ignorance - if only King Harold had done his job right, we'd have been OK!! Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 5:46 am

Atrick wrote:
if only King Harold had done his job right, we'd have been OK!! Smile

"Should have gone to Specsavers"

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
AV-40
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Finally completed the bulb change today.
Obtaining the correct bulbs while living in a one horse town was the first challenge. Parts house had the correct tail/brake light bulbs. Not difficult to get to those.
Got the stock turn signal amber bulbs from Honda. Rear no problem. Front requires taking the front cover off, This entails the windshield garnish, the windshield, the lower cover, and then the front cover. I'm going to be hesitant to even use the turn signals now that I know whats involved with replacing the front ones.
This had to be done as the previous owner had replaced all bulbs except headlight with LED's. It might have been Ok if he had used LEDs designed for the Silverwing. The ones he used were way underpowered, didn't fit the socket, and the front ones were directed toward the sky and offered no illumination toward the front of the scooter at all.
Changed the final drive oil too while I was at it and set the idle speed to within specs.
Found a service manual on eBay that covers 2002 to 2012, and that was a big help.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 pm

AV-40 wrote:

This had to be done as the previous owner had replaced all bulbs except headlight with LED's. It might have been Ok if he had used LEDs designed for the Silverwing. The ones he used were way underpowered, didn't fit the socket, and the front ones were directed toward the sky and offered no illumination toward the front of the scooter at all.
Changed the final drive oil too while I was at it and set the idle speed to within specs.
Found a service manual on eBay that covers 2002 to 2012, and that was a big help.

If the previous owner had used the correct type, wouldn't have been an issue. There's a company V-leds.com that makes very good ones. Unfortunately, they ARE rather expensive. If you want extra brake and turn lights, can't go wrong with the Admore light bar with the DennisB perfect connector.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Changing bulbs   Changing bulbs - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

I've just been out and changed both headlight bulbs, riding home from Cumbria over the A66 Pennines section one moonless evening last week the OE bulbs or whatever I had in there seemed a bit weak and weedy. A road diversion in rural North Yorkshire directed me down a long section of unmarked road with full tree canopy that was literally "starless and bible black" (That's a quote from Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas, and the title of the 1974 King Crimson album, but of course you all knew that.) made up my mind for me.

I thought I'll go for high-performance bulbs not the spare H7’s that live in my bulb kit under my seat that'll be more of the same.

So after a bit of ratching around online for recommendations from UK motoring and motorcycle websites and online bulb sellers. I chose a pair of Philips X-Treme Vision that should deliver 130% more light on the road if manufacturers and consumer reviews are to be believed. I used a seller over in West Yorkshire so the package was delivered within 24 hours.

Fitting them was straightforward enough, even though the lower high beam bulb I'd never disturbed before and was a bit of a fiddle. A Schwinn bike mirror and a LED lamp helped visualise what was up there.  The top dip beam bulb I've removed before, mainly to fish OE pilot bulbs and LED pilot bulbs out of the reflector with a grabber tool. It definitely helps if you've dug around in there before, and removing and reinstalling the screen garnish was a doddle too. I wore vinyl gloves handling the bulbs and used alcohol wipes to clean the bulbs before installing them.

I may have even had a ride tonight to check out the improvements my new bulbs make, but that'll have to wait for another time because I had a nice cold beer with my evening meal.
Back to top Go down

Changing bulbs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2