Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs

Go down 
+4
NWSSC
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Kennylxix
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2016-11-05

Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs Empty
PostSubject: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 1:19 am

I've seen a few posts about changing the rear turn signals to dual filament bulbs to add rear running lights.   I have a method that allows the single filament bulbs to be kept.   I haven't done this on my swing yet but I have done it on other bikes and will be doing it again soon.

OK so the trick is to use normally closed relays.   Run a power wire from somewhere that is key on to a normally closed relay (I usually use the brake lights key on circuit I change to led bulbs at the same time so overloading isn't an issue) then from the relay to the turn signal bulb and on to ground (depending on how they signal is factory wired the ground may already be there or not).   Then wire the hot and ground that originally went to the bulb to the trigger on the relay.

What happens is the bulb will be lit all the time.   When the turn signal is on and power is applied the normally closed relay will open and turn the bulb off. Then when the blinker relay opens the relay will close again and the light will turn back on..... On off on off blinky.  When the turn signal is canceled the bulb will go back to being on all the time.

I think this is a much better solution than trying to hack a different base into the light housing:)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:07 am

Why add running lite ? Standard set up is the legal and accepted way. Adding junk may confuse the idiot behind you.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 10:50 am

Because it is "less than legal" to have amber rear lights ON all the time I converted my rear turn signals to red dual filament 1158 bulbs. I used these bulb sockets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331353556531?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT wired up to my Plug & Play tail light wire harness adapter keeping with the Honda wiring color code --brown/black = running lights; green = ground; green/yelloe = brake; blue and orange for turn signals.. No need to hack the bulb socket base or the tail light housing either. The trick is to use the O-ring from the Honda bulb socket in place of this eBay socket. 

No confusing relays or wiring bodge. But then without wiring in a relay you wont be able to use LEDs --unless you want the turn signals to hyper flash.

Red running lights make the scoot more visable from the rear and are legal in all states. 

Tim

[EDIT] However, it seems to me that if one were going to wire a relay into the blinker circuit that it would be great to incorporate a 4-way flasher switch too
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Oh...

Cool! I actually hadn't even looked at how the bulb bases worked. I'm so used to working on older bikes with bases that are integrated into the mount I didn't even think that the bases themselves just popped in and out.

Your way makes a lot of sense.
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 12:51 pm

These might be really cool for the rear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261840932215
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 1:00 pm

And yeah the point of adding the lights is to make the bike appear wider for better visibility. Peoples brains as wired to look out for the widely spread lights of a car not a single light of a bike.

As my motorcycle instructor used to say "drivers are programmed to look for the absence of cars not the presence of anything else"
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Good Bad or Ugly I think I must take the hit for adding additional rear lights after installing them 06 S/W. It was not for the benefit of other bikers who usually are more observant but for the occasional senior or tailgater.However you want to install them of course is up to you. I usually try to make things simple (KISS-it). Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Oops, due credit: It was Howard who did the original dual-filament rear light conversion. In fact IIRC he switched to Amber LED bulbs with the unintended consequence of the scoot being that much more noticeable when the turn signal(s) hyper flashed.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Yeah I actually really like the hyper flash. I went a head and ordered a set of the dual filament bases and some red leds.

Awesome info on the bases!
Back to top Go down
Kennylxix
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2016 7:23 pm

I ordered a set of red/yellow switchback Leds. This will give me red all the way across then yellow on the side when the turn signal is on. Should work well.
Back to top Go down
hondos
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 2:11 pm

On any bike, I am the Invisible Man/bike.

I like this Idea, Better visibility is my goal.

After the rear lights are done, then On to the front of the bike for the front lights
Back to top Go down
Phat_Phingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 10:51 am

I installed 4 of these across the back of my Givi box. Easy install, small (1/2") but piercing bright. And available at any truckstop, auto store and are cheap. $8 approx.

Jus sayin

truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10002&categoryId=13109&productId=50422&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=15554&parent_category_rn=15554&storeId=10001 (jsut thro a www on the link)
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 5:28 pm

This is what Admore Lights look installed behind the red lens of my GIVI E52 Monokey top box. It has tail, brake, and turn signals.

Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs Img_2011
Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm thinking of putting 2 strips of LED brake lights in my Givi top box so as to add better visibility at a higher level at the back. I have done this on previous scooters as I feel the brake lights on bikes/scooters are pretty low and not at eye level in a following car. After all who wants to be rear ended by a car.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs   Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 am

shyted wrote:
I'm thinking of putting 2 strips of LED brake lights in my Givi top box so as to add better visibility at a higher level at the  back. I have done this on previous scooters as I feel the brake lights on bikes/scooters are pretty low and not at eye level in a following car. After all who wants to be rear ended by a car.
shyted,
Well, my picturs in my post above shows the lights​ up high in my GIVI top box. About four feet above the ground.
Back to top Go down

Add rear running lights without changing to dual filament bulbs
Page 1 of 1