Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything

Go down 
+2
PatrickDoss
PICO-THAI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything Empty
PostSubject: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 am

I returned from a trip to Europe only to find the secondary lock had been locked http://goo.gl/Oti7L. No idea how or who. I never ever used it, never had a key to it either. Locksmith came a midnight, a ride was planned for the next morning. T.i T. as we say here, This is Thailand. He broke the key, it´s a SW 2001 no electronic blocking, http://goo.gl/NdxOt
But lock was damaged, a new ordinary Honda Wave or so lock was used in replacement. (No spare lock obtainable here).

My German mechanic, ex Airbus mechanic tried everything to get any ignition, all electrical seems to work, NOTHING.
No ignition, oh and the plugs stay dry too.
Could be the electronic control unit, however it is called.
Pure guessing. But to get one here is tough, needs to ordered from Japan. Takes another 3 weeks. Before I waste time and money, I want to hear if you have any speculation what else it might cause the problem.

Thought of buying a new SW, no secondhand bike imports allowed into Thailand. No one else is riding a 600 but myself, no used I could by in the country either.
Plus, a brand new SW cost over 20.000$ and 4 months before it receives clearance. Needs to be tested, unknow model here, must keep the authorities happy and rich.

Back to top Go down
PatrickDoss
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Not sure I understand about the key, as I thought only the smaller Honda scoots used that secondary lock. But if I understand correctly, your problem now is that with a replacement lock and key, you can't get the bike to start up. I take from what you said that everything powers up with the key on, and the starter spins the engine over, but your mechanic says its not getting spark at the plugs and doesn't believe the fuel injectors are spraying fuel. In that case, I would check the battery voltage WHILE CRANKING. If it's dropping below 10.0 volts WHILE CRANKING, it may simply be a battery issue. This is not uncommon on some of the bigger Honda bikes, and I even heard of a situation where Honda's own tech support line was stumped until a knowledgable independent mechanic checked out a nearly new GL1800 Goldwing that wouldn't start. The voltage was fine with the key off or on and not cranking, but while cranking it would drop too low to power the starter AND the electronics at the same time.
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Patrick , thanks for idea,, cranking output was checked, it´s ok. Fumbling with the lock may have caused a short circuit in the central computer unit. I checked in Germany, not available.

What about in the US, where to get quickest central computer unit? Frame number t PF01-1000533.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:09 am

I believe the service manual has a test procedure for the ECU that you may want to try before replacing it.

there is an ECU for sale on the uk ebay with the keys for £250.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 am

Perfect find RArch, but after a hectic day actually the jewel was unearthed , in the city of sins, in Pattaya, Thailand. A 2011 SW black, milage less that 10.000 , price 12.000$ instead of 20.000$ for a 2012 model.
Now this big question to you is=
1. I need a lot of lights on the side car, is there anything that I should tell my mechanic related to electric installations, limits, whatever?

2.vis-a-vis an old model from 2001 -2004( we are not sure) has the transmission changed so that my JCosta variator would not fit anymore?
3. vis-a-vis an old model from 2001 -2004( we are not sure)has the clutch changed so that my hit clutch doesnt fit anymore?
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 9:01 am

On the JCosta CVT from [b]paul@unionmaterial.com
[/
Hi PICO,

How are you?
It’s good to get your mail.
I did not hear anything about the CVT system of Honda Silver Wing 600 have been changed.
So I think your HiT still can be used,please let me know if you have any problem.

---------------------
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 pm

PICO-THAI wrote:
1. I need a lot of lights on the side car, is there anything that I should tell my mechanic related to electric installations, limits, whatever?

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1495-swing-how-much-spare-current-available-for-add-on-s#12282

I switched my low and high beams with DDM Tuning HIDs ... which after they are started reduces the power consumption by 1/2 (if I remember correctly).

LED lights are the most energy efficient.

A pair of Advmonster M60 ( http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-41/Model-60-LED-off/Detail.bok ). I would suggest a Pulse-Wave-Modulator (PWM) dimmer with high-beam bypass to adjust the lighting. If you look through this thread for pictures http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184 you will see a lot of good pictures.

If you are still worried about the available wattage, after adding some LEDs:

Checkout the AdVmonster M10 Flashlight ( http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-50/M10-Flashlight-Kit/Detail.bok ). They provide a narrow beam, but are incredibly bright even on the low, medium and high settings. It runs on a single battery ... so you can double their times. If you could mount and direct to the ground to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

The ADVmonster M10 outshines my Fenix TK-41 with 8 AA batteries Cool

Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 10:02 pm

@ HONDA-SILVER ; most comprehensive info , thanks for that !!!
Do you mind if this will be quoted on the German site http://forum.silver-wing.de/ ?
It#s just too good not to be spread around.

Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 10:11 pm

@RArch

you said=
DO you have the link, pls? May be well worth it to buy and thereby be able to sell my old SW.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 1:16 pm

PICO-THAI wrote:
Do you mind if this will be quoted on the German site http://forum.silver-wing.de/ ?

We do not have problems sharing information. Though I would suggest providing links to original poster ... Which could help in multiple ways.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm

PICO-THAI wrote:
@RArch

you said=
DO you have the link, pls? May be well worth it to buy and thereby be able to sell my old SW.

Sure, I was looking at item 160933342662 on ebay.co.uk

Try a search for "silverwing ecu" as a couple more came up that may interest you.

Last edited by RArch on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

honda_silver wrote:
PICO-THAI wrote:

We do not have problems sharing information. Though I would suggest providing links to original poster ... Which could help in multiple ways.

I hate ebay links, they are too long and if they wrap around they can break or stretch the site.

But here it is Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-FJS600-FJS-600-Silverwing-ECU-CDI-coded-keys-MCT-D62-/160933342662?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item25785fedc6
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm

After the last time I screwed up a thread on hear I found out if you preview the post first you can go back and hit the enter button to separate the link on more than one line and the link will still work. You can check the link before you hit send to make sure it works.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 6:24 pm

Ta for tip. We really should use the link button to create url tags Smile

interweb ebay clicky link
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 1:04 am

What is a interweb ebay clicky link?
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 am

model28a wrote:
What is a interweb ebay clicky link?

Looks like this when you type it:

Code:

[url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-FJS600-FJS-600-Silverwing-ECU-CDI-coded-keys-MCT-D62-/160933342662?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item25785fedc6]interweb ebay clicky link[/url]
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 pm

frustrated
This is a test of an interweb ebay clicky link.
If it works it just brings you back hear. And if it works thank you for the education, never to old to learn something new. Now lets see if I am young enuf to remember it. Embarassed

interweb ebay clicky link
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Cool it worked thank you RArch.
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 am

STATUS REPORT: No computer unit ordered, at least not yet.
But, after some hard search we found a 2011 SW with under 5000miles for some $13.000. It´s now mine! No ride as yet, because the side car needs to be attached , new color because the SW is black.

Small blemish: on one of the egg shaped tips of the taillight a piece of clear plastic is broken off. Not really worth to replace the whole taillight unit, which looks costly.

Any idea how repair this? translucent liquid plastic ???
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 am

PICO-THAI wrote:
STATUS REPORT: [EDIT}
Small blemish: on one of the egg shaped tips of the taillight a piece of clear plastic is broken off. Not really worth to replace the whole taillight unit, which looks costly.

Any idea how repair this? translucent liquid plastic ???

Well, you could exchange that piece with the one from your other S/Wing.

Just out of curiosity, why not temporarily try the ECU from this new S/Wing on your old one to see if it resolves the problem.

Better yet, try using the old ECU on your new S/Wing to see if the same problem occurs. That way you are not risking damage to the new ECU "if" something else in your old S/Wing is damaging the ECU.

If the 'old' ECU works on the 'new' scoot then you'll know that the problem occurs elsewhere on the 'old' scoot.

Good luck.

Tim
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Now thats a good idea...

Both of them Smile
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 pm

2011 back lights are totally different,
I would guess also the ECU has been changed in 10 years. I would be too scared of blowing out the new ECU unit as well, and then???
I rather buy the Ebay thing and play it save
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 am

Look up the part numbers of the old and new ECU, if they are the same there's no differences. If they are the same take the old ECU and try it on on the new scoot like Tim suggested. I don't think you could heart anything if the part numbers are the same.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 pm

PICO-THAI wrote:
2011 back lights are totally different,
I would guess also the ECU has been changed in 10 years. I would be too scared of blowing out the new ECU unit as well, and then???
I rather buy the Ebay thing and play it save

The light circuit(s) are controlled by the Combination (Speedometer, etc) Meter ECU, not by the main ECU/ECM.

Yes there are most likely changes in the ECM over the past 10 years, but I'd still try the 'old' ECM in the 'new' scoot. That way you would not risk the new scoot ECM.

Will you be transferring the HiT Clutch from the old scoot to the new one?
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 am

Hi Tim,

Hit and JCosta have already been installed, I didn´t ride the bike so far, waiting for the sidecar to be painted and attached.

Re: EMC I chose to play it very safe, the damage on the old SW seems to have been caused by the forceful fumbling with the key, causing a short circuit, we think.

In other words, I will not play around with the new bike in any way.
Too cumbersome as it has been so far. Now is the very best riding season , I am stuck since 2 weeks and may be for another 2-3 weeks,
New Year, even to find a paint shop is hard.
Economy is good over here, plenty of cash
Back to top Go down
PICO-THAI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
PICO-THAI

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 12:22 am

Well, trying the new ECU was no risk at all, not even the connectors would fit. I am still keen to get my 2001 SW running but before I order the ECU from ebay UK, I better photograph my old unit and ask the seller. For 250 GBP I better make sure it works, no return possible.
Nevertheless, thanks for your input.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 11:27 am

PICO-THAI wrote:
>> For 250 GBP I better make sure it works, no return possible.<<

One of the advantages of dealing with eBay is that if the seller misrepresents the item (i.e. it doesn't work) they (eBay) will work with you to get your money back. Check out their policy
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 am

A further search on ebay returned some ECUs in the USA which are cheaper.

Ebay silverwing ecu 600 search
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything   Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don´t get it started , since 2 weeks, tried everything
Page 1 of 1