Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Wheel Wobble and Growl

Go down 
+2
Fazli
rcarrillojr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-19

Front Wheel Wobble and Growl Empty
PostSubject: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey, guys.

I made a post a few weeks ago about a strange noise coming from my front wheel/tire. I got a lot of different opinions on what it might be, but all of them were wrong.

It turns out that my wheel is slightly slanted to the left, which makes the top of the tire a few millimeters closer to the left fork. I know this because I stuck two fingers between the tire and the left fork and then the right fork. There was some space between the tire and the right fork. The wobble came at low speeds and the growl only happened when I was turning right into a parking lot or something.

My theory is that the brake disc was trying to lean closer to the left fork when I was turning right (not counter steering), but since the brakes are attached to the left fork while gripping the brake disc, these opposing forces were causing the left fork to vibrate.

Now my question is this; why is my wheel slanted? I had my brother ride the SW toward me and I saw that the tire was wobbling. I've attached a picture of the front tire and the left fork. It's hard to see, but the brake disc is closer to the fork on top than it is on the bottom. Please help oh knowledgable ones! Smile
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Picture of brake disc   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Sorry, I thought I uploaded it.
Attachments
Front Wheel Wobble and Growl AttachmentSilverwing Fork copy.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(182 Kb) Downloaded 99 times
Back to top Go down
Fazli
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Get your wheel bearings checked.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 2:23 am

Be safe and have your local Honda Shop or knowledgeable mechanic check it out.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Did it do this prior to going down?

Have you or anyone else recently removed the front wheel from the bike? It's a kind of unusual procedure to put the wheel back on to get everything aligned (refer to service manual).

Have your forks moved in the clamps (I.E. is there just as much fork sticking up from the top on both sides)?

Have you checked your bearings?

Is the disc warped (check the runout) or flat? (use a straight edge)

A picture that includes more of the front of the wheel (further back from the bike), it would also help us all.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 3:32 pm

I haven't check all those things since I'm new to bikes. Maybe I should just take it in to a local mechanic. I will post another picture soon showing the rest of the wheel later, but to answer your question - jmaslak - it didn't vibrate like that prior to going down. I've noticed the growling about a month ago, but couldn't figure it out. I then noticed the wobbling about a week ago and thought it was just the way SWs are.

Every guy I know that has a bike tells me it might be the bearings since the entire wheel and tire are not straight. I will get this checked, but it sucks because I use it to go to work. Oh well, my life is more important.

What can happen, by the way? If I prolong this.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm

rcarrillojr wrote:
I haven't check all those things since I'm new to bikes. Maybe I should just take it in to a local mechanic. I will post another picture soon showing the rest of the wheel later, but to answer your question - jmaslak - it didn't vibrate like that prior to going down. I've noticed the growling about a month ago, but couldn't figure it out. I then noticed the wobbling about a week ago and thought it was just the way SWs are.

Yes, take it to the mechanic - tell him that you went down at one point with it so he knows to look for mechanical damage too. You might also ask him to check the steering bearings while he is doing the other work, as that can also cause a wobble at speed.

Quote :
What can happen, by the way? If I prolong this.

You could die. Seriously, could cause your front wheel to lock up.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Chek if both your forks are tightened at the same stop position on the master clamp.....or if one of them is loose.You can mesure the visible part of each tube over the clamp.Another possible reason could be a warped axle
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 4:28 pm

yeah, i thought axel bent when i looked at the photo too. very strange...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Wheel Wobble and Growl   Front Wheel Wobble and Growl I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Wheel Wobble and Growl
Page 1 of 1