Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:53 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Today at 11:48 am

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?

Go down 
+3
NWSSC
tinman
Dimond
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? Empty
PostSubject: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Why does the drive belt specify a direction of rotation? What would happen if it were installed in the direction opposite of what is specified by Honda? If you take a drive belt off (and forget to mark the rotation direction) - is there any way that you can tell be looking at the belt what direction it was turning before you took it off? I have not had any issues such as the above - but I am curious.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 5:55 am

Smile I just removed my drive belt. After I notice there was no arrow rotation. When I removed the belt ,the back of the casing made a mark on the back side of the belt and I installed It to match. Smile
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 am

It is just a guess but I do not think that installing a new belt in either direction makes any difference.It is when you reinstall the belt if it is going in the opposite direction it might have a tendency to stretch the belt in the other direction and reduce its life.Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 am

I don't know but tyres have to be mounted the right way and they're made partly with layers laminated together, one assumes in a particular pattern.
Perhaps it's the same with the belt.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm

When i got my new belt(not the official one) it had no directional markings on it. After 6000mls i fitted the Dr Pulley sliders, and the belt seemed okay to me, as someone remarked i think a new belt would wear in either direction equally. A new OEM belt was £143. the one i got was £74. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 pm

MikeO wrote:
I don't know but tyres have to be mounted the right way and they're made partly with layers laminated together, one assumes in a particular pattern.
Perhaps it's the same with the belt.

Mike, I believe the rotation marks on Tyres are more do do with the tread and the ability to disperse water efficiently!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I expect you're right, Doug, but racing slicks have to be fitted the right way round, especially drag racing wrinkle-wall slicks.

I shall attempt to find out. Smile

Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:34 am

This may explain the unusally short life of my belt - which had failed on me while riding the highway last August. The (previously owned) Swing came with a J-Costa variator but the pins were shot. Rather than just get another set, I had wanted to try the Dr Pulley sliders I had bought last October - before my mechanic told me I didn't have a stock variator. So I ordered the stock variator components needed to use the sliders (which cost less than a set of pins) and, using the great directions on this site, built a variator tool and did the job myself. However, I noticed my mechanic had installed the belt backwards (arrows pointing opposite the direction of travel). Not thinking about it, when I reinstalled the belt, I put it in facing the direction of travel. It shredded on me about a month later.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:36 am

This may explain the unusally short life of my belt - which had failed on me while riding the highway last August. The (previously owned) Swing came with a J-Costa variator but the pins were shot. Rather than just get another set, I had wanted to try the Dr Pulley sliders I had bought last October - before my mechanic told me I didn't have a stock variator. So I ordered the stock variator components needed to use the sliders (which cost less than a set of pins) and, using the great directions on this site, built a variator tool and did the job myself. However, I noticed my mechanic had installed the belt backwards (arrows pointing opposite the direction of travel). Not thinking about it, when I reinstalled the belt, I put it in facing the direction of travel. It shredded on me about a month later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive Belt 'rotation' direction - does it matter?
Page 1 of 1