Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Driving Lights Not Working
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby nooner Today at 8:24 am

» Malossi, Variator, Clutch, Belt, Exhaust, Contra Spring and new tire
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Riding Stateside
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Has anyone noticed how dead it is on the .org and yahoo sites?
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Howdy y’all
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Wnbasac Yesterday at 9:48 am

» Selling my Silver Wing
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Yesterday at 6:37 am

» The Catholic Daughter
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 pm

» Trike Kit Installed
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby kupid Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:14 pm

» Improved Backrest
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BlackSilver Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:35 pm

» Corbin saddle
what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Easyrider Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

what grade of fuel does everyone use?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-10-15

what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Jolly Bodger wrote:
£1.10/litre here Crying or Very sad
And that's cheap compared to some places!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3538
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 6:47 am

cliffyk wrote:
This is especially true when you consider that 87 octane* here costs just $2.09/gallon--about 42p per liter...

So you pay the equivalent of 42p per litre! That's what we were paying per litre in 1992, all of 25 years ago. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Winger61 wrote:
Jolly Bodger wrote:
£1.10/litre here Crying or Very sad
And that's cheap compared to some places!

Agreed. Coming back from Oxford late Sunday night I pulled into Birchanger services  (off M11) and got my pants pulled down at £1.30 a litre.

As it's a small tank and I was tired and coughed up  (as you do)

As for fuel grade I use standard unleaded as I find super unleaded gives extra mpg but is offset by price.

In France I find E10 unleaded gives worse mpg in both my car & bike and on pay motorways is 10 pence + more a litre to purchase
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Just thought I'd throw a spanner in here...time has moved on....should we use 95 octane or 97 octane?

Some Shell stations in the UK provide only 97 octane. My SW is a 2001 model and I tend to stick to 95 octane. Is 97 octane OK for my engine?

Did Honda adapt the later engines for 97 0ctane? I'm not going to lose any sleep over this but I'm curious Question
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 4:45 pm

I use non ethanol 89 octane and my 2004 does not seem to have an issue, but I did upgrade to new fuel lines.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 2955
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Remember there are 2 ways of rating octane (Ron and ROX) Over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings, found me using the cheapest Reg in N America with no problems.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:46 pm

I've been running 91 in my Swing with no known issues. I run my VTR1000F on that as well, it's happy, but my ST1300 starts to knock under load at low revs on 91 (if I'm a bit lazy on the shifter) so I feed than one 95 and it is much happier.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3553
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 7:07 pm

I use 87 octane (USA rating) and it runs just fine. Regrettably it is also 10% ethanol ‘cause that’s what we get round here.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 945
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 8:43 pm

A few new fuels are around lately here in PA. The usual 87-89-92 10% ethanol. New one is 15% and cheaper but not for vehicles 2001 or later or most motorcycles. Flex fuel 45% to 80% ethanol more common also. Zero Ethanol is becoming easier to find but more costly.

87-89 octane SW runs fine.

US and UK have different standards for octane. 97 in UK is about 91 in US.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1645
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 pm

U.S. 87 Octane in all my vehicles / equipment, currently @ $ 1.95.9 a US gal.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2633
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Once in a galaxy far away and long ago (Arctic FAA Station, (1962) I poured 3/4 quart of 151 proof rum in the state trooper's truck parked in front of his place in Kotzebue. I was having enough trouble trying to walk home to my apartment in the snow without carrying that bottle. His truck apparently didn't have any problem digesting the rum. He stopped by the FSS (Flight Service Station) and was driving the truck. He did say he found a rum bottle in his stuck fuel tank opening with the gas cap sitting on the bottom of the bottle. I wish I could have been functioning that morning as well as his truck did.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 10:10 pm

I also use 87 octane normally; what Honda requests. And yes it is 10 % ethanol. Now in my Forza in Ely, NV I use 85 octane (replaces 87 here). We are over 4000 feet (6400 actually) so that works fine.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 11:40 pm

exavid wrote:
Once in a galaxy far away and long ago (Arctic FAA Station, (1962) I poured 3/4 quart of 151 proof rum in the state trooper's truck parked in front of his place in Kotzebue. I was having enough trouble trying to walk home to my apartment in the snow without carrying that bottle. His truck apparently didn't have any problem digesting the rum. He stopped by the FSS (Flight Service Station) and was driving the truck. He did say he found a rum bottle in his stuck fuel tank opening with the gas cap sitting on the bottom of the bottle. I wish I could have been functioning that morning as well as his truck did.

But was it leaded or unleaded rum?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 3:20 am

Are you guys across the pond talking RON, MON or PON?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 am

RON + MON divided by 2.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 11:22 am

But was it leaded or unleaded rum? < well if you had trouble moving then it was definitely leaded Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm

I use what the Owner's Manual suggests. Basic 87 Unleaded.

Only thing is ... I'm not sure if that is Metric 87, Imperial 87 or S.A.E 87?

I usually just follow the directions on the pump.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 7:23 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
I use what the Owner's Manual suggests.  Basic 87 Unleaded.

Only thing is ... I'm not sure if that is Metric 87, Imperial 87 or S.A.E 87?  

Well jeez, all ya gotta do is divide by 0.62137119223733
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 8:20 pm

No wonder I've been having problems I've been multiplying by 0.62137119223733 and that's Witworth Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 945
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: what grade of fuel does everyone use?   what grade of fuel does everyone use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pm

All you need to do is multiply that by 3.14 and that's the answer. I'm hungry wife just made a nice pi.
Back to top Go down

what grade of fuel does everyone use?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2