Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Today at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive Belt service limit measurement

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
jodders1
RArch
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement Empty
PostSubject: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 8:50 am

I've taken of the side covers and variator to replace the rollers with Dr.Pulley sliders on my 2009 Silver Wing.

While there I checked the belt width was within the service limit, it measured 26.5mm in various spots. On checking the Service Manual it says the limit is 27mm, meaning I needed a new belt. After only 2000 miles I was to say the least I was surprised Shocked I put it down to hard city driving and headed off to the Honda dealer for a replacement.

The new belt didn't look any different and I asked the chap if he could measure it. He came back with 26mm! Then I asked him to check the service limit, he asked another chap who came back with 27mm! Shocked They offered no reason but assured me that my belt would be fine.

It looked like a genuine Honda belt, I was in the main dealers shop in Chiswick. Got no reason to believe it wasnt anything but a genuine Honda belt.

I am now wondering what is the real service limit?

Anybody else got a width measurement for a new belt?

Last edited by RArch on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

hi RArch
the 27mm is when you measure following the side angles of the belt which is guess work unless you have someone to hold rulers up each side of the belt at the correct angle while you measure across the top of the belt like the manual picture page 10-7 my belt measures 26mm across the belt below the cog teeth looking at the manual 10-7 picture it looks like the service limit is 25mm across the belt below the cog teeth or 16000 miles hope this helps
jodders1

Last edited by jodders1 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 am

Ahh yes I see what you mean Embarassed Thanks jodders.

It makes sense now that I've looked at the diagram again. At least I'm not the only one who got caught out, the Honda guys were scratching their head too Wink

I've attached a photo of the diagram with some notes explaining the measurements. Hopefully it will help others.
Attachments
aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement AttachmentDrive belt measurement.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(67 Kb) Downloaded 235 times
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 am

shame on chiswick honda dealership an apology required not to have anybody to explain and measure you belt for you hope you did not buy a new belt as you clearly did not need one with the measurements you have showed and with only 2000 miles on it if you did buy one take it back and ask for a refund and make a complaint to managment as they have give you incorrect information on a sale if no joy take your complaint to honda uk
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am

RArch wrote:
While there I checked the belt width was within the service limit, it measured 26.5mm in various spots. On checking the Service Manual it says the limit is 27mm, meaning I needed a new belt.

Honda conveniently screwed up the Service Manual belt service limit .... even a brand new unused belt would not pass the documented limit. Yet they never seemed to update the Service Manual.

I will try to find the "updated' numbers they provided to the Honda dealers.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:25 pm

I have just come up to16000mls and the "V" light came on. The Honda Dealer wants £131.40 for a new belt. I found www.wemoto.com. Selling the belt for £74 including V.A.T. and P&P. They accept all currencies and post worldwide.I paid by Paypal late last night and have got an Email saying they posted it today. I can't vouch for the quality of course, but I'm willing to give it a go. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 pm

My experience with the drive belts for now near 250,000 miles AND I hate walking---I change at maker's suggested time/miles. I do not bother to measure, just change and ONLY OEM belt----I do not monkey with or change clutches(want more performance I buy a motorcycle) As I ride a lot the age of belt never is factor with. Keep/carry old belt as spare.

Only one belt broke underway, Helix, Pulaski VA. Belt was at service limit (miles) Honda Service took me to friend's house where we changed belt with spare I carried---Helix great as belt change simple, having to take nothing off but belt cover. Actually belt had shredded itself.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Bigbird: I cant speak inches, it does not comput Wink Can someone convert it into mm for me? My belt measured 26.5mm with a digital verniers at the widest part, whats that in inches and thousands? The verniers has a mm/inch button which shows 26.5 to be 1.0435!

Jodders: I never bought the belt, they measured it the same way I did and mine was .5mm wider than the new one!

Limey: Thats the same cost that I was quoted, it will be interesting to hear the differences in size of the wemoto belt.

John: You speak a lot sense but some of us just like fiddling and tweaking Smile
Back to top Go down
LarryB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Drive Belt service limit    aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I just got caught by this trap too. While installing Dr Pulley sliders, I measured the belt with a micrometer, it measured 27mm. The service manual gives that as the service limit, so I ordered a new belt at over $100. I received it today, measured it and it also measures 27mm. I did not need a new belt that out of the box measures the service limit size.

I also ordered a new cylinder to hold the seat and the new one will not even raise the seat. Honda's quality control does not seem to be good.

Is there any way to contact Honda about the belt width discrepencies?
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 5:20 pm

bigbird wrote:
RArch wrote:
Bigbird: I cant speak inches, it does not comput Wink Can someone convert it into mm for me? My belt measured 26.5mm with a digital verniers at the widest part, whats that in inches and thousands?

C'mon, man.
You can't even do a Google search to find a
mm--->inch conversion site?

http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/millimeters-to-inches.htm

Cheers for the help!

So if I've got it right, the new belt from the video "one inch thirty two thou" is 1.032" or 26.21mm and the old belt "one inch 15 thou" is 1.015 or 25.78mm. This is measuring the widest part of the belt and not using the method described in the service manual where we estimate that 25mm (0.984") is the limit.

The bottom line is the width of the belt from new to needing changing is only 1-1.5mm (I can visualise millimetres Smile) It doesn't seem like a lot... but still they can last 16000 miles Cool
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 5:35 pm

LarryB: You should be able to return the belt for a refund. As for the cylinder (ram) that too should be replaced for free.

All of us have measured it the same way and come up with varying widths (27, 26.5, 26.21mm). We must be measuring a soft edge where Honda in service manual diagram using the flat plates are measuring the harder wearing surfaces of the belt.
Back to top Go down
LarryB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Drive Belt service limit   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm

RArch:

You are correct on the measurements of the belt. It can't be measured correctly across the belt without taking in account honda's method. Your picture is right. My new belt measures 29mm by Honda's method and 27mm measuring across the belt's widest point. So, this would make the Service Limit measure 2mm less, or 25mm. I made a note of this in my service manual so whoever ends up someday with this manual will not have this problem. Anyway, I now have a good spare belt.

Also, I measured the thickness of the new belt and it was .575 inches. My old belt, with 5500 miles, measures .560 inches. I went on and changed it anyway, and noticed the new belt rides higher in the pulleys. As soon as the snow melts, I'll road test it.

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 am

Thanks for the confirmation Larry.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 am

This is a useful site for conversions:

http://www.campbellsci.ca/CampbellScientific/Conversions.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive Belt service limit measurement   aftermarket  oem belt - Drive Belt service limit measurement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive Belt service limit measurement
Page 1 of 1