Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rain the windshield

Go down 
+7
Donodii
Buickguy
Meldrew
Randy
Waspie
john grinsel
jobo2mi
11 posters
AuthorMessage
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Rain the windshield Empty
PostSubject: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:29 am

Is there anything you can put on your windshield to kinda have the rain roll off when yer caught in it? I have a nice high Givi windscreen so I stay almost totally dry (except when stopped at a light or stop sign Sad ) but wondered if there is something like Rain-X to put on a plastic windscreen to have the raindrops roll off, since we don't have windshield wipers on a bike....
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:54 am

First you shouldn't be looking thru windshield. Second Pledge works as good as anything-----some windshields have warning on what stuff you can use on them.

Trim windshield so you can see over---otherwise rain/snow/sleet/bugs/riding into sunset or sunrise really dangerous. Glass shops can usually trim shield if you cannot do yourself.

OR get Givi adjustable shield. Seeing is very important inthe staying alive deal.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:46 am

john grinsel wrote:
Seeing is very important inthe staying alive deal.

John Grinsel

Oh Yes.

To be alive is to ride tomorow!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Randy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:51 am

I use rain-x on it and on my visor
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohanaphotos.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:59 am

Pledge, even an Arai rep recommended the stuff. Most homes have a can and it's way cheaper than dedicated rain dispersant!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm not impressed with Rain-X at all, it seems to work for a hour and that's it. I haven't used Pledge, Mr Sheen or similar products, but I've used Plastex on the bodywork for years, and maybe I'll try it's rain dispersal qualities out on the Airflow screen and my visor.
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Rain-X is not recommended for the polycarbonate used in most cycle windscreens.
A friend of mine used it for quite a while on his 2000 Coucours and it yellowed and crazed the windscreen after a few years.
Lemon Pledge will not affect polycarbonates that way.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Thank you for the responses. That's exactly the info I was looking for. I know some things you cannot use on the plastic of the windshield or the visor of my helmet. Soooooooooo Pledge will work just fine. Great. I have a can of that.

As for looking thru the windscreen, if I have it cut down, won't that allow the wind to hit me in the head again??? I have found it is sooooooooooooo nice not to be beaten up by the wind as I ride. What a difference. I can ride without my visor down on the helmet at slower speeds without worrying too much about bugs etc hitting me in the face, the windscreen deflects the wind that much! I LIKEEE!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
Donodii
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Donodii

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2011-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 11:26 pm

I trimmed 2 inches off the Givi high screen and allows me to see over it. The wind is not that bad, not as bad as the stock screen.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 1:49 am

Hi "Scooter Jo",

I have to agree with you in that I don't like the wind hitting my head and I also like to have the visor up on the helmet at lower speeds. I've had a tall Givi for nearly 3 years now (since I started riding 2-wheeled vehicles) and while it's not foolproof (there's always "some" wind) it is still better than the stock shield by far. I've enjoyed it immensely.

To keep my Givi shield clean, I've most always used "Plexus" plastic cleaner that I learned about on this and the other SilverWing site. I bought a can of it at the local Honda dealer. Has proven itself for easy bug removal plus it does a very good job of rain rolloff too as I found out on a day-long PGR trip one nasty day. And yes, I've used Lemon Pledge too (it just smells better Smile ) but have never really tested it in a substantial rain.

As for cutting the screen down, I also wondered as you did as to whether or not you were defeating the reason for buying the taller screen to begin with. Might just as well get a "Laminar Lip" setup or the other adjustable Givi(?) unit. Really, just keep the darn thing clean and clear and I think you'll eliminate most of the hazards that are sometimes attributed to the taller screen. Anyway, good luck on your decision. You always get plenty of valuable info on this site.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 3:37 pm

jobo2mi wrote:
I have found it is sooooooooooooo nice not to be beaten up by the wind as I ride. What a difference. I can ride without my visor down on the helmet at slower speeds without worrying too much about bugs etc hitting me in the face, the windscreen deflects the wind that much! I LIKEEE!!

As you can with the Givi AF214, AND!!! you can look over the screen rather than through it. Razz
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 11:36 am

Donodii wrote:
I trimmed 2 inches off the Givi high screen and allows me to see over it. The wind is not that bad, not as bad as the stock screen.

I think the standard GIVI screen has a reverse curl at the top the helps push the wind up. When I cut my GIVI down by about 2.5 inches, I notice the wind does not go over my head quite as well as it used to. A Laminar Lip helped a lot after the cut-down.

I dislike looking through a windscreen - late season low-hanging sun, bugs, dirt, rain are all hard to see through.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm

I do use rain - ex although I have been warned of the draw backs. Hand buffing very lightly, so far OK and works. I will try the Plexus, although my shelf has so many types of cleaners on it now , any more and the shelf might crash down on me, killing me. so I'm not sure how safe it would be to get.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 pm

I've read some excellent reviews for "Brillianize" for cleaning and polishing plastic. supposed to resist scratching as well . I think I'll give it a try
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rain the windshield   Rain the windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rain the windshield
Page 1 of 1