Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 7:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 6:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 12:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding in the Rain

Go down 
+3
honda_silver
jdeereanton
tankyuong
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi all.

We took a long ride out to Skyline Drive on Sunday, which had to qualify as one of the most beautiful days of the year. sunny Unfortunately, when we left on Sunday, the skies opened up and we wound up driving home in a torrential rainstorm.

Yuck. No

Anyway, the Swing did just fine, but I had one question to put to you all. My windshield is quite tall, and I can't see over it. I have an extra large clearview, but this would probably apply to anyone with a Givi windshield also. What do you do when you're riding in the rain and the windshield is soaked. Also, what do you do about your faceshield. I'm thinking about putting a pair of goggles in my rain gear, so that I can open my face shield most of the way and still have eye protection.

Thanks,

Mandy
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Rain x helps a lot
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:41 pm

The windscreens and probably most face shields are made of an acrylic, it is a very hard plastic, but may not stand up well to Rain-X. It would be wise to check the labelling on the Rain-X bottle before using it on the acrylic plastic surfaces.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 pm

I can't use Rain-X on my windshield or visor. Specifically advises against that.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:47 am

Emeskay wrote:
I can't use Rain-X on my windshield or visor. Specifically advises against that.

Windshield:
http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=29

Can be Polished, Buffed, and is Safe to use Rain-X Original Clear Formula
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 3:52 am

Emeskay wrote:
What do you do when you're riding in the rain and the windshield is soaked.

I am able to look over my windshield, but the windshield deflects the majority of the rain for me.

Emeskay wrote:
Also, what do you do about your faceshield.

I have a full faced Shoei Multitech helmet. In the rare occurrences when I have to clear my visor, I just tilt my head backwards while I still can see forward and let the wind blow my visor completely clear.
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Bill.

I'm much shorter than you, at 5'6. I can't see over my windshield, but I need the higher one for a good reason. When I had a lower windshield I had a lot of problems with windshear...my head kept bobbling around. I had a fusion in my neck several years ago b/c of a disc problem, and the bigger shield fixed the pain the bobbling caused.

I think I have the same helmet as you, the one with the chin guard that slides up. I wound up carrying a towel under my leg, and continually wiping off my visor, or (gasp!) just opening it up. Between the half open visor and the windshield, I found that my face didn't really even get wet. I think I'll put a pair of clear safety glasses into my rain pack, so that my eyes will have the extra protection if I have to open my visor. affraid

Now, had I remembered my waterproof gloves, I would have had the finger squeegee, and that would definitely have helped. Who was it that said that they couldn't protect you from stupid? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
skydad99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 4:40 pm

If the windshield is plexiglas, Rain-X is safe to use on it. I used it on the plexiglas windshield on the Kingfisher Amphibian I built so that the water would just roll off of it. If you are worried about using it, try it on a spare piece of plexiglas first. If the windshield is lexan, I don't know if it will hurt it or not, but seems to me I read somewhere not to use Rain-X on lexan.
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 pm

What is the Givi made of?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:03 pm

RE Clearview windscreens, from a response I got from Clearview:

Hello Dale,
Our shields are made from a Impact Modified Acrylic. It is a very good material, excellent optical clarity, and is DOT approved.

Thanks

Jxxxx Lxxxx

Clearview Shields
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
skydad99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 pm

wingnprayer wrote:
What is the Givi made of?

The Givi on my Reflex is Plexiglas. There is a little-bitty sign on the left edge of the windshield that says "Plexiglas". I just put some of the original Rain-X on it this morning. No problem. It helps when cleaning bugs off too, as they don't stick as much. The Clearview, since they won't call it plexiglas may be lexan or it could be another brand of acrylic plastic. Lexan is very impact resistant, however, it scratches easily. The name "Plexiglas" is a Dupont trademark, I believe. It is an acrylic plastic.
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks, Dale.

I'm going to get some Rain-X. My husband was the one who thought it would eat through the windshield. But his bike has a Lexan (sp?) shield, which probably can't take Rain-X.

M-
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 6:48 pm

I think it might also depend on the design of your helmet. I had a Bieffe full face I loved but it tended to rain in on the inside! because of how the external vents were designed. My Shoei full face doesn't get the internal rain.

I tend to find the nearest safest place to pull off during rain like that. I'm always concerned that cage drivers have enough trouble seeing us under optimal conditions, let alone looking through rain on their windshields.
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 6:53 pm

I don't get rain inside the helmet. I also have a Shoei. I was talking about rain on the outside of the visor.
Back to top Go down
teamaster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 5:14 am

Just put some Liquid Glass on it. That crap can be put on anything. Even those windshields and your visors. That stuff will make it slicker than owl shit.
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 pm

I tried Rainex on my Clearview during my recent 2300+ mile trip and I got to say Lemon Pledge works much better.
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks!

Scooterian wrote:
I tried Rainex on my Clearview during my recent 2300+ mile trip and I got to say Lemon Pledge works much better.

That's great to know...what is your 'Lemon Pledge' procedure?
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 pm

teamaster wrote:
Just put some Liquid Glass on it. That crap can be put on anything. Even those windshields and your visors. That stuff will make it slicker than owl shit.

What is Liquid Glass? Never heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Scooterian
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scooterian

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 1:46 am

Spray it on, wipe it off.
Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Scooterian wrote:
Spray it on, wipe it off.

Sounds deceptively simple. I may have to try it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Riding in the Rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riding in the Rain   Riding in the Rain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding in the Rain
Page 1 of 1