Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?

Go down 
+48
IrishRob
dickie
surlybiker58
Old Limey
"Hi Yo"
Ishkatan
viclavigne
FlyingWing
larryinseattle
tawarmbrod
TWJ74
toolboxjesse
joncallihan
donkeyhater
Dimond
jdeereanton
scootingranny
Falcon Wing
welchnh
Opalsboy
robert
djevanstn
brendam
kbcmdba
honda_silver
Meldrew
bikerdaryl
goldwing121
exavid
masscoot
roadrunner
tonylumps
Buickguy
john grinsel
buddy19520
bugrod
pancho
skiwoods
Jinglebob
DennisB
alejom
Windrider
bigbird
Waspie
thomphoto
trouble1100
dspevack
tankyuong
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just checked their prices and even an 02's value w/ 35k miles is $10k.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 5:38 am

Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 6:00 am

+1 Sleep
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:06 am

Meldrew wrote:
Why is there this constant need on here to compare a six cylinder manual geared motorcycle with a two cylinder automatic maxi scooter. My own view is that any sense of good taste and style you may have once possessed usually disappear when you become a Gold Wing owner. If you think I'm being the grumpy old git I most certainly am, just look at the way the owners 'customise' and spoil a good looking motorcycle.

The comparison is simple:

Both motorcycles are made by Honda.
Both share a "wing" part of their name.
Both are bikes designed for old farts like yourself in mind.
Some of us have them both.

Some of us don't gaudy up the bike, we use some add ons to make the bike useful and personal for our own use.

I happen to like my coffee cup holder. I like my GPS and phone holder.

I can't say I don't care what you think, cuz I answered your post, but this is more of a commentary on your opinion. I enjoy riding what I ride regardless what you think of me or my bikes.

The Interstate model of the Goldwing is the stealth model. That is the model I searched out and purchased. I put 20,000 miles on the bike so far and the only thing I have had to do was change tires, oil and a set of brakes.

Both the Goldwing and the Silverwing are dependable and will be the majority of my stable hopefully for many years to come.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:57 am

I thought you'd be along sooner or later to wave the flag for the Gold Wing, the last time I looked this forum was called silverwing600.com, and so not to confuse owners of the Honda GL500/650 Silver Wing motorcycle, there's usually a nice big picture of a Honda FSC/FJS Silver Wing scooter on the home page. Not a blinged up Gold Wing with a commode fitted below the licence plate

As for both being made by Honda and having Wing in the name, I think owners of the Honda Integra car and the new Integra scooter can realise they're totally different beasts.

I don't mind being called an old fart by you, but there's only 3 years in age between us, and it's you not me that has his GPS set up to find "adult entertainment". Neutral

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 10:17 am

Meldrew wrote:
I thought you'd be along sooner or later to wave the flag for the Gold Wing, the last time I looked this forum was called silverwing600.com, and so not to confuse owners of the Honda GL500/650 Silver Wing motorcycle, there's usually a nice big picture of a Honda FSC/FJS Silver Wing scooter on the home page. Not a blinged up Gold Wing with a commode fitted below the licence plate

As for both being made by Honda and having Wing in the name, I think owners of the Honda Integra car and the new Integra scooter can realise they're totally different beasts.

I don't mind being called an old fart by you, but there's only 3 years in age between us, and it's you not me that has his GPS set up to find "adult entertainment". Neutral

You could be right.

The original poster asked if there was anyone considering upgrading to a Goldwing. I don't think it is an upgrade. It is a different motorcycle entirely.... as you pointed out.

I am surprised that you are not on a Wing. You are an opinionated old fart, just like the rest of us old Wingers.

Had you ever rode one, you would have one. :not worthy:

Last time I looked it didn't say it was a "Goldwing Bashing Forum" It was a Silverwing 600cc Maxi forum.

We as forum members are very fortunate to have you as the gate keeper here.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 10:32 am

larryinseattle wrote:

Had you ever rode one, you would have one.

I won't go quite as far as calling that a stupid statement, just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 10:41 am

bigbird wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

Your comment was a complete waste of key strokes! I mean a total waste.

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 5463tg10

There are some similar looks.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 10:45 am

larryinseattle wrote:
bigbird wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

Your comment was a complete waste of key strokes! I mean a total waste.

Thanks for letting me know.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:21 am

larryinseattle wrote:

I don't dispute the fact that the Gold Wing in all it's forms is a benchmark for comfortable touring motorcycles. Also you have to ride one to understand what the Gold Wing is all about. I've never criticised the motorcycle, just the laughable image that their owners portray, and for me I'd hate to buy one and turn into a typical owner.

All this "Wing-Ding" and "Treffen" lingo instead of rally and meeting, the need to haul more stuff than you need just to impress other GW owners, the desire to stand out and be noticed, the stuffed toys carried on the bike, the useless chrome bling, the whole image is rather silly, and that's just UK and European owners slavishly trying to look like their US counterparts.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:26 am

Meldrew wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

All this "Wing-Ding" and "Treffen" lingo instead of rally and meeting, the need to haul more stuff than you need just to impress other GW owners, the desire to stand out and be noticed, the stuffed toys carried on the bike, the useless chrome bling, the whole image is rather silly, and that's just UK and European owners slavishly trying to look like their US counterparts.

I only haul what I need to stay on the road for as long as I want to be on the road. It is a personal choice.

This is how I roll on solo trips.

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 Campingsetup

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 12:35 pm

If that was me I'd leave at least half that stuff at home, do you really need heated gear in Arizona? Or another helmet, a cooler and kitchen set up, even a cot and folding chair. What's wrong with travelling light, a small tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag, and a small stove to brew tea or coffee on. Your rain suit will add warmth if you're cold, and so does a breathable lightweight layer under your riding suit.

I'll bet your mate Steve has a large Gold Wing patch on the back of his leather waistcoat too.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 1:22 pm

larryinseattle wrote:
The original poster asked if there was anyone considering upgrading to a Goldwing. I don't think it is an upgrade. It is a different motorcycle entirely.... as you pointed out.

Most sensible statement of this whole debate. applause

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Meldrew wrote:
If that was me I'd leave at least half that stuff at home, do you really need heated gear in Arizona?

larryinseattle does not live in Arizona, he traveled to Arizona from Seattle over the mountain passes.

My heated gear, can fold into a tiny zippered back which neither takes a lot of weight or space.

In fact it could be a life safer in unexpected very cold or very wet conditions when it difficult to maintain your temperature for extended riding.

Meldrew wrote:
Or another helmet

Since there is a huge difference in weather conditions ... it would be a personal choice.

Meldrew wrote:
a cooler and kitchen set up

It is not uncommon to bring cooler and kitchen set up ... if the person chooses to cook rather than eat out.

Meldrew wrote:
even a cot

It is not uncommon to bring personal comfort gear for sleeping, which is a personal choice.

If I am camping, I bring my thicker and longer Therm-a-rest pad.

Meldrew wrote:
folding chair.

If camping, I bring a tiny folding chair that sits about 9" above the ground.

Meldrew wrote:
What's wrong with travelling light, a small tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag, and a small stove to brew tea or coffee on.

What gear to bring or not to bring is a personal choice, which based on many many factors.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm sorry I don't buy into that at all, the average Round The World rider doesn't take as much clutter as that along, look at that bike it's loaded up like a pack mule. Even the 3-6 month tours in South America organised by one UK company advise their mainly BMW GS riding customers to limit their personal kit to what they can fit into half of one of our supermarket carrier bags.

Camping is fine, but you live in the country that pioneered fast food, motels, and cheap hotel chains, so I'd say it's just another example of penny pinching, just like the car tyres that both you and larryinseattle are big fans of.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I bring the amount of gear that I bring so that I can be out sight seeing and enjoying this great country with as many creature comforts as I need.

In New Mexico, it was 29 degrees and the wind blew 30 miles an hour and rained the night we camped here:

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 Camp4

Yea, we used our electric gear the next day too. In New Mexico heading for El Paso, TX.

I used to motorcycle travel and stay in motels and eat in restaurants.

I bought the Goldwing to moto-camp. I carry all that I need because I can. My bike is my bike.... and I do what I want to do with it. I belong to a different forum called

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/index.php

It is full of moto-campers. We discuss doing exactly what I do with my Goldwing.

If one wants to set out across this country on a Silverwing and hotel and restaurant it... that would be their choice.

When I go two up, I pull this trailer:

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 IMG_1934

Then the real creature comforts come along.... including my nightly squeeze. cheers

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Thank you Honda_Silver for explaining these things.

For some, it is quite obvious the intent. For others, they need a little coaching.

In June, I am traveling solo cross country to Baker City, Oregon for a motorcycle rally.... no camping gear. Motels and restaurants cuz I choose to.

In July we will be pulling the trailer to a few different camp grounds here in the Pacific Northwest.

In August, I am heading to Glacier National Park in Montana, moto-camping two up pulling the trailer.

In September, I am going solo-camping to the Northern California Redwoods with members of a different forum.... gasp, a Goldwing forum.

All different... all fun. Thanks for being concerned. At first, I thought I was nuts too, then after thinking about it, this all made good sense to me.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:36 pm

larryinseattle wrote:
Then the real creature comforts come along.... including my nightly squeeze. cheers

You've got an inflatable doll too! Neutral
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Meldrew wrote:

rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm convinced.

When not on the Silver Wing and wanting to go a wee bit further -

I'll take the car. Less hassle and less emotive! What a Face
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Meldrew wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

You have wit.... and are charming to boot. That is funny right there, I don't care who ya are.

However, I have a girl friend who makes high six figures and likes to ride on the back of this cheap asses Wing....

You figure that one out. Perhaps you are wasting your key strokes tossing this way....
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:03 am

larryinseattle wrote:
In June, I am traveling solo cross country to Baker City, Oregon for a motorcycle rally.... no camping gear. Motels and restaurants cuz I choose to.

Going from Washington into the neighbouring state of Oregon is hardly travelling cross country, we drove from Seattle to Portland via the Mount Rainier National Park in 2009, I have to say the Pacific Northwest is a great holiday destination. Smile
Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Going from Washington into the neighbouring state of Oregon is hardly travelling cross country................... Smile

You appear to have absolutely no understanding of the meaning of 'cross country'!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Walt981 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Going from Washington into the neighbouring state of Oregon is hardly travelling cross country................... Smile

You appear to have absolutely no understanding of the meaning of 'cross country'!

What's your problem then, cross-country is across fields or countryside as opposed to roads or tracks. There's also cross-country running, biking, skiing or driving along a course along the countryside as as opposed to around a track. Or cross-country, meaning across a region or country not keeping to main or direct roads.

For example. I live in Cumbria very near to the Irish Sea, if I go West over to Northumberland, North Yorkshire, or County Durham and the North Sea coast there, I'll have gone cross-country. Going North, I'm heading for Dumfries and Galloway, and heading South it's down into Lancashire, more neighbouring counties than cross-country. Neutral

Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.

I know every forum has 'the forum idiot'.
Are you it?

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Walt981 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Are you it?

12 posts, most of which about the Gold Wing and you call one of the long serving members an idiot!!
Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Waspie wrote:
Walt981 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Are you it?

12 posts, most of which about the Gold Wing and you call one of the long serving members an idiot!!

Get your facts correct.
I have NOT called anybody an idiot?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Stop playing word games.

The intent was evident.
Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Waspie wrote:
Stop playing word games.

The intent was evident.

Oh I do apologise, I should have said, I know every forum has 'the forum idiots'.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Apparently someone who appears to be very new to this forum seems to think this forum is lacking a peckerhead and is working diligently to fill that void. Honestly, my dear man, we do not need anyone like that.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Apparently someone who appears to be very new to this forum seems to think this forum is lacking a peckerhead and is working diligently to fill that void. Honestly, my dear man, we do not need anyone like that.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Agreed here also !

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Walt981

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 Wttg

Welcome from Seattle!

There are many on this forum that agree with you but have been brow beaten to just not post anything.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 2:33 am

Walt981 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

I explained the meaning of cross country so even you could understand me. larryinseattle lives in Washington state, and he said he was travelling to Baker City in Oregon which is the state south of Washington. It's a good days ride of about 370 miles, both states are in the Pacific Northwest.

If you thought he was inWashington, D.C. on the Eastern side of the US and travelling over to Oregon, then that's your mistake. Neutral

Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 5:40 am

Meldrew wrote:

Blah, Blah, I Googled 'Cross Country', Blah, Blah.

Thank you for confirming your intelligence.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:55 am

Hey Walt, you may not like this coming from your favourite forum idiot, but I looked at some more of the photos that you or the guy in the shades have taken of the Silver Wing, Gold Wing etc. There are a lot of quality and creative images there, and being honest I'd like to say I wish I could take photos like that, I really liked the way you've captured the image of the Silver Wing covered in rain drops.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:50 am

Meldrew wrote:
Walt981 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

I explained the meaning of cross country so even you could understand me. larryinseattle lives in Washington state, and he said he was travelling to Baker City in Oregon which is the state south of Washington. It's a good days ride of about 370 miles, both states are in the Pacific Northwest.

If you knew the route I was taking, it would be 550 miles, and most of them mountain roads. I plan to be there for three days doing some of the local area "Hells Canyon Area" rides and then taking a 500 mile route back.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:58 am

Sounds like a fun ride Larry. You should post some photos when you get back.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:01 am

The Scootist wrote:
Sounds like a fun ride Larry. You should post some photos when you get back.

Thank you. I will post some. There will be plenty of "pirates" there as it is a Harley dominated event.... but I will be there with a few Wingers, BMW's and probably will throw in a Kawasaki and a Suzuki too.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:06 am

Meldrew wrote:
Hey Walt, you may not like this coming from your favourite forum idiot, but I looked at some more of the photos that you or the guy in the shades have taken of the Silver Wing, Gold Wing etc. There are a lot of quality and creative images there, and being honest I'd like to say I wish I could take photos like that, I really liked the way you've captured the image of the Silver Wing covered in rain drops.

In April 2011 I rode my Wing from Seattle to Phoenix and back, two up pulling a trailer. 4500 miles by the time we were done.

In December 2011, I rode my bike from Seattle to Mission Tex and back. 2500 miles one way if you picked the easiest route. I didn't, I went to Los Angeles and turned left.... and followed the border all the way to Mission. I had 6500 miles on my odometer when I returned.

I mentioned this because you feel it necessary to discount my cross country traveling.

To Kalispell Montana then Yellowstone and then back through Lolo Pass and home should be about 1700 miles.

Yea, I do "cross country" riding. 19,000 miles last year. Oh and by the way, all of that done on the same car tire.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:32 am

When Mrs M and me drove through Mount Rainier National Park enroute from Seattle to Portland in 2009 I thought at first this would be great to do this on a bike or scooter. Then after a few miles of crawling along behind RV's climbing up the steeper sections I started to change my mind, and this was in October it must be a lot worse for RV's in summer. Then there's the fact you can't look around that much as you're concentrating on the road, and I've found things very much the same riding in the Alps in Austria, and the Pyrenees in France and Spain.

There's one section in the Mount Rainier National Park I remember we descended called the Box Canyon of the Cowlitz, which was scenically lovely, and as you mentioned car tyres, ours and probably hundreds of others were splashed with yellow paint from the road marking they were doing that day.

As for the camping and touring with a trailer, you've explained all that in previous posts. All good stuff but this forum is about the Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:23 am

Walt981 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Are you it?

Walt,

You need to calm down. You have very few posts and you come on this site to raise Hell. This topic is getting out of hand. I'm personnally getting tired of people disrespecting others. Also, others need to calm down too with the disrespectful comments.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:32 am

Meldrew wrote:
When Mrs M and me drove through Mount Rainier National Park enroute from Seattle to Portland in 2009 I thought at first this would be great to do this on a bike or scooter. Then after a few miles of crawling along behind RV's climbing up the steeper sections I started to change my mind, and this was in October it must be a lot worse for RV's in summer. Then there's the fact you can't look around that much as you're concentrating on the road, and I've found things very much the same riding in the Alps in Austria, and the Pyrenees in France and Spain.

There's one section in the Mount Rainier National Park I remember we descended called the Box Canyon of the Cowlitz, which was scenically lovely, and as you mentioned car tyres, ours and probably hundreds of others were splashed with yellow paint from the road marking they were doing that day.

As for the camping and touring with a trailer, you've explained all that in previous posts. All good stuff but this forum is about the Silver Wing.

Gosh, I thought I had a good time. After reading your post, I just realized that it wasn't all that much fun. From now on I will have to focus on the negative rather than the positive in order to get the least out of my travels.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:03 pm

You're missing the point, you do have larger distances to cover in the US than we do in Europe but at least you all speak the same language, use the same currency, eat the same stuff, you don't have to adapt to riding on the right, or road signs in kilometres, and anything you need to buy you know where to get it, or in your case cart it around with you.

I mentioned mountain roads and how riding up and down Alpine roads is not for me, instead I regularly go riding in the Harz Mountains in Germany. They've been mining there for minerals for hundreds of years and the legacy of that is a fine network of roads, and are very popular with bikers. Part of the Harz were in the former East Germany, and even today the legacy of that era is still visible. I'm going to Mühlhausen in Thuringia next month, it still has it's medieval city walls like the more popular Rothenburg ob der Tauber on the Romantic Road, but because of nearby places like Erfurt, Weimar, and Eisenach, it's totally ignored by tourists. I don't expect I'll be speaking a lot of English either.

As for focussing on the negatives, Touring in the same area back in the 80's, I needed permission and a security interview from my employer, an entry visa in my passport and permits before leaving home, to change a certain amount of hard currency for every day of my stay for Ostmarks, take everything I needed for my stay with me including decent toilet paper, a bath plug, bottles of two-stroke oil, and basic food items. Once there I had to pitch my tent in a dedicated area of an Intercamp site usually on my own, and with toilet blocks on a par with Tennessee ! At every Intercamp I had to registe with the local police, be very careful about who I talked to, and be even more careful about what I pointed a camera at, and that's after getting through the heavily fortified border crossing points. So getting some paint on a hire car in a US National Park is an irritation in comparison.

I'm staying in a hotel because I'm as you say an old fart and like sleeping in a bed. We British don't do hauling bags of food up trees to keep bears away either. I sometimes use the network of hotels in Germany geared up for touring riders, with everything from drying rooms for wet gear, secure garage parking, to workshops and pressure washers. I'm also travelling on my Silver Wing, it should be up to the job, it's got one more cylinder and 300cc more than what I used last time.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Meldrew wrote:
You're missing the point, you do have larger distances to cover in the US than we do in Europe but at least you all speak the same language, use the same currency, eat the same stuff, you don't have to adapt to riding on the right, or road signs in kilometres, and anything you need to buy you know where to get it, or in your case cart it around with you.

I mentioned mountain roads and how riding up and down Alpine roads is not for me, instead I regularly go riding in the Harz Mountains in Germany. They've been mining there for minerals for hundreds of years and the legacy of that is a fine network of roads, and are very popular with bikers. Part of the Harz were in the former East Germany, and even today the legacy of that era is still visible. I'm going to Mühlhausen in Thuringia next month, it still has it's medieval city walls like the more popular Rothenburg ob der Tauber on the Romantic Road, but because of nearby places like Erfurt, Weimar, and Eisenach, it's totally ignored by tourists. I don't expect I'll be speaking a lot of English either.

As for focussing on the negatives, Touring in the same area back in the 80's, I needed permission and a security interview from my employer, an entry visa in my passport and permits before leaving home, to change a certain amount of hard currency for every day of my stay for Ostmarks, take everything I needed for my stay with me including decent toilet paper, a bath plug, and half a dozen bottles of two-stroke oil to last me. Once there I had to pitch my tent in a dedicated area of an Intercamp site usually on my own, register my permits with the local police, be very careful about who I talked to, and been even more careful pointing a camera about, and that's after I went through the heavily fortified border crossing points. So getting some paint on a hire car in a US National Park is an irritation in comparison.

I'm staying in a hotel because I'm as you say an old fart and like sleeping in a bed. We British don't do hauling bags of food up trees to keep bears away either. I sometimes use the network of hotels in Germany geared up for touring riders, with everything from drying rooms for wet gear, secure garage parking, to workshops and pressure washers. I'm also travelling on my Silver Wing, it should be up to the job, it's got one more cylinder and 300cc more than what I used last time.

In the 70's I lived in Wurzburg, Germany for 3 years and attended the American High School that was provided on the military installation.

One summer, between my 10-11 grade, I traveled by bicycle the entire summer and made it as far as Munich and then back to Wurzburg. I traveled the back roads and through the small towns and farming communities. We stayed in the youth hostels.

I would get passed by an occasional moped or a three wheeler motorbike and often thought I should have one of them rather than the bicycle I had.

East Germany was still under the Soviet rule and in order to get to Berlin, we either had to fly or take the train, which I did on three different occasions. By the treaty, we were allowed into the Soviet sector on Berlin as well.... so we did go there, but not over night and only during the day time hours. The walls were still manned by machine guns and armored vehicles.

My mother was a war bride and she met my dad when my dad was stationed in Wurzburg, in 1945. She got married in a dress that was made out of his parachute. (silk)

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:24 pm

This subject has gotten so far off topic that I'm going to lock it. We will determine if it will be opened at a later time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3