Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing

Go down 
+8
Meldrew
MikeO
pippobis2
DickO
john grinsel
BlackFly
honda_silver
wingmann
12 posters
AuthorMessage
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 pm

I am thinking of getting a Givi E55 top box for my 2010 Silverwing. I would like to know if that box looks to big for the Silverwing and if anyone has this top box on there Silverwing and do you like it. Or should I get a different top box or size for my Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 6:35 pm

wingmann wrote:
I am thinking of getting a Givi E55 top box for my 2010 Silverwing. I would like to know if that box looks to big for the Silverwing and if anyone has this top box on there Silverwing and do you like it. Or should I get a different top box or size for my Silverwing.

There is a video of the E55 ( https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/admore-lighting-video-t2035.htm#17655 )

Here is the E52 and E55 sizes ( https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-accessories-modifications-f5/silver-wing-top-case-t1778.htm#14953 )
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 6:41 pm

I have a GIVI E52 Maxia
This is from GIVI website:
E55: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing 0.0.1.t%23sizese55
E52: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing 0.0.1.t%23sizese52
The size seems to be nearly the same and the E52 is looking like this:
Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing Siwi3.th

Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing Siwi4.th

Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing Siwi5.th

And sorry, for the moment i have no better pics...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Remember any top box is like putting rock with string on rear of arrow.

The weight becomes high---too much weight= funny handling.

E46 (my long time GIVI box) seems to work ok on Silverwing and is handy.

They are hard to load as clam shell design---can only be made half full of stuff that can fall out. Mine can haul garbage, food, short distances, slow....with top up.

Buy the least fancy Givi box you can----the extra stuff is junk on the more expensive ones----my Givi has survived ( some minor repairs and changes) over 500,000 miles on various bikes/scooters----hole cut in top for dog's head. Mine is MonoKey,, There is also monolock.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey BlackFly,
You did a good job on the pictures; the "ImageShack" program brought them up for a very good view. By the way, very pretty Swing you have.
As for myself, I've got the "low priced spread" top box as many others do... the Bestem 929 with an installed brake light. Don't know what that equates to for Givi but it is one of their larger units and I've gotten a lot of good use out of it. And personally, I've never noticed any "top heavy' action from it either. Okay... just my two cents worth.
Back to top Go down
pippobis2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pippobis2

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:11 am

I have a Givi E52 and for the " long turns europei" I have also the lateral ags

Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing 2e2419z
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 5:55 am

As BlackFly said, there's so little difference in size between E52 & E55 it probably wouldn't show.
I, too, have an E52 and am pleased with it.
I agree with John's comments that the shape makes it difficult to load effectively.
I have made a divider out of cardboard and racer's tape which I've fitted, running from front to back, beside the housing for the lock.
It is as high as the bottom half of the box.
In the smaller part I have disc-lock, cloth for wiping wet seat and windscreen, bottle of water, biccies, sun-glasses and waterproof over-gloves.
The larger space is big enough for my helmet so is usually empty although I can put my waterproofs in there and a small rucksack if I'm on a day-trip.

I never load it to capacity.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:08 am

I've got the Givi E52, and am considering purchasing the E55 for the extra space. I've never had a problem with handling with top boxes fitted to either bikes or scooters, so I've no problems with loading them. When you're solo touring you've got the luxury of stowing bags on the pillion seat, two up you have to be a bit more creative. I extended the straps on a pair of Givi T421 saddle bags to fit my 650 Burgman so they should be fine on the SilverWing. I'm going to do the same with a pair of unused Aerostich tank panniers that I've had for the last 20 years.

Mrs Meldrew likes to wander round in t shirt, shorts, and sandals during hot weather and we've had the odd difference of opinion about this, as there's never been enough secure storage for two lots of helmets, back protectors, jackets, pants, boots, and gloves. It's usually me wandering about in bike pants and sometimes carrying my jacket in the summer heat. Thinking about the best way to solve this problem, I've now got a Pacsafe wire mesh luggage net which will cover an Ortleib bag containing surplus clothing and then be secured to the pillion seat.

Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:45 am

To secure my jacket when in "strange" places I use a bicyle cable lock run down a sleeve, then lock somewhere on the scooter. Usually to the passenger grip.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 11:37 am

New thoughts: why spend the $200-500 necessary for Givi set up?

Rear spoiler has pre marked bolt holes, use them----from Sears/K-Mart/Farm supply store etc.-----buy plastic tool box of size you need, 24" being as wide as practical, sometimes you can find bright yellow so you can be seen by idiots in SUV's,
Add some reflectors and you have cheap, practical top box....and they are not clam shell design so stuff doesn't fall out when bike is on side stand and box opened.

Also have used Rubber Maid boxes....for trip to Alaska, perfect size for my then Jack Russell (guard while sleeping out). Locked top with locking pins.

The tool box trick has been used on several bikes and scooters----they often perform better than the purpose built stuff needing less corrections and maint. and have less bolts to monkey with.

inner floor can be made of thin plywood, bolted up using fender washers. Cost of whole doing, $20-30.
Plastic box a little weak? make floor out of thin ply wood, bolt up using large fender washers. Weight= several lbs less than givi set up, both being empty.

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 pm

If you're going to buy a top box, I guess you really should buy it for the reason you want. If you need cargo space, go with the bigger box. If you need it to look sharp, go with a smaller box. If you want it to be a basic box, the Bestem 929 is very cheap. If you want a hauler, John's idea isn't bad either, and some folks use milk crates.

For what it's worth, at 75mph, top box or no top box, I don't really feel all that much affected. I did the Tail of the Dragon with and without fully loaded saddlebags and seatbag about an hour after a thunderstorm - I survived to tell the tale obviously. If you have a fully loaded box, of course it's going to affect your handling a bit, but then again, you're not supposed to overload that thing either or it'll be like having a small child hanging off the very tail end of your bike.

For what it's worth, I'd say just go for the biggest top box you can find, but keep your heavy items either in saddlebags or in the trunk or on the pillion, not the top box.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
FrankL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrankL

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Maybe it's a personal thing, but I think the E52 complements the looks of the SilverWing, and it's a handy and great container while traveling near or far.
I haven't noticed any handling differences while riding with the topcase on.
As others have said, heavier items should be stored lower on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Not suggesting anyone try this, but just something to file for future reference if the need arises...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6S-iUJbh0

I have the Givi E52 and love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 5:35 pm

not got any pic's yet but i have the e55 maxia3.and don't have any problems with it.also opted for the soft lining to go with it.the only time you notice anything is if you have both hands off the bars,which is not really something you would do anyway,so i say go for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing   Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi E55 top box is it to big for a Silverwing
Page 1 of 1